Judge: Calif must release tens of thousands of prisoners due to overcrowding

Little-Acorn

Most interesting part of this, um, "ruling", is the statement that releasing these prisoners will "not adversely affect public safety, and might well have a positive effect".

Would the judge(s) who made that statement, like to stand by his claim? And, if a prisoner he orders released commits another crime, will he serve the resulting sentence with him? Or maybe in his place, seeing as how prisons are so overcrowded?

Or better yet, will that judge agree to take the effects of the crime on himself, since he guaranteed us it wouldn't happen? If some released inmate assaults and robs someone, will the judge agree to get pistol-whipped and slammed against a wall, and have the contents of his wallet removed? If the inmate rapes someone, will the judge agree to... well, you know. And if the inmate murders someone.....

It's nice to know the judge(s) think that releasing a huge mass of prisoners won't adversely affect public safety. That's what they said about the parole system, wasn't it?

I would like to have a talk with these "judges" about this "ruling". Yes, I'd like that very much.

--------------------------------------

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/feb/09/ca-california-prisons-020909/?zIndex=50492

Judges tentatively order Calif. inmate release

By DON THOMPSON, The Associated Press
4:09 p.m. February 9, 2009

SACRAMENTO — A special panel of federal judges tentatively ruled Monday that California will have to release tens of thousands of inmates to relieve overcrowding over the next several years.

The judges said no other solution will improve conditions so poor that inmates die regularly of suicides or lack of proper care.

The state can cut the population of its 33 adult prisons through changes in parole and other policies without endangering the public, the judges said.

Reducing the prison population "could be achieved through reform measures that would not adversely affect public safety, and might well have a positive effect. This is particularly true considering that California's overcrowded prison system is itself, as the Governor as well as experts who have testified before the Court have recognized, a public safety hazard," the San Francisco-based panel said in a 10-page order.

The three judges did not set a final population figure, saying that will come later. They said they may hold more hearings before making the decision final.

In Monday's tentative ruling, the panel said they want the state to present a plan to trim the population of the nation's largest state prison system in two to three years.

"There are simply too many prisoners for the existing capacity," they wrote. "Evidence offered at trial was overwhelmingly to the effect that overcrowding is the primary cause of the unconstitutional conditions that have been found to exist in the California prisons."

The order came less than a week after the judges finished hearing two days of closing arguments. They said then that they wanted to quickly issue a tentative ruling in hopes of forcing the state to take steps on its own or reach a settlement with attorneys representing inmates.

In Monday's order, they offered the services of a court-appointed referee who could help with settlement talks. Previous negotiations failed, forcing the trial that took place over 14 days in November and December.

Werbung:
Most interesting part of this, um, "ruling", is the statement that releasing these prisoners will "not adversely affect public safety, and might well have a positive effect".

Would the judge(s) who made that statement, like to stand by his claim? And, if a prisoner he orders released commits another crime, will he serve the resulting sentence with him? Or maybe in his place, seeing as how prisons are so overcrowded?

Or better yet, will that judge agree to take the effects of the crime on himself, since he guaranteed us it wouldn't happen? If some released inmate assaults and robs someone, will the judge agree to get pistol-whipped and slammed against a wall, and have the contents of his wallet removed? If the inmate rapes someone, will the judge agree to... well, you know. And if the inmate murders someone.....

It's nice to know the judge(s) think that releasing a huge mass of prisoners won't adversely affect public safety. That's what they said about the parole system, wasn't it?

I would like to have a talk with these "judges" about this "ruling". Yes, I'd like that very much.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/feb/09/ca-california-prisons-020909/?zIndex=50492

SACRAMENTO — A special panel of federal judges tentatively ruled Monday that California will have to release tens of thousands of inmates to relieve overcrowding over the next several years.

The judges said no other solution will improve conditions so poor that inmates die regularly of suicides or lack of proper care.

The state can cut the population of its 33 adult prisons through changes in parole and other policies without endangering the public, the judges said.

Reducing the prison population "could be achieved through reform measures that would not adversely affect public safety, and might well have a positive effect. This is particularly true considering that California's overcrowded prison system is itself, as the Governor as well as experts who have testified before the Court have recognized, a public safety hazard," the San Francisco-based panel said in a 10-page order.

The three judges did not set a final population figure, saying that will come later. They said they may hold more hearings before making the decision final.

In Monday's tentative ruling, the panel said they want the state to present a plan to trim the population of the nation's largest state prison system in two to three years.

"There are simply too many prisoners for the existing capacity," they wrote. "Evidence offered at trial was overwhelmingly to the effect that overcrowding is the primary cause of the unconstitutional conditions that have been found to exist in the California prisons."

The order came less than a week after the judges finished hearing two days of closing arguments. They said then that they wanted to quickly issue a tentative ruling in hopes of forcing the state to take steps on its own or reach a settlement with attorneys representing inmates.

In Monday's order, they offered the services of a court-appointed referee who could help with settlement talks. Previous negotiations failed, forcing the trial that took place over 14 days in November and December.

They should relocate them behind Nancy Pelosi's house. Se how she likes that...:rolleyes:

More like how our rehabilitative penal system has been a waste.

Sorry they wanted a new prison, but republicans would not let them raise funds to build it....ok not sure if that realy happened, but bet its not far from the truth.

we might be in agreement here Andy. I dont think locking up people for years for possession of small amounts of drugs is wise. It has done nothing but fill our prisons with otherwise non violent criminals. This leads to two things, firstly that violent criminals go free earlier than normal, and the nonviolent drug users are forced into a situation where violence is the norm.

we might be in agreement here Andy. I dont think locking up people for years for possession of small amounts of drugs is wise. It has done nothing but fill our prisons with otherwise non violent criminals. This leads to two things, firstly that violent criminals go free earlier than normal, and the nonviolent drug users are forced into a situation where violence is the norm.

http://www.ojp.gov/bjs/prisons.htm Has the following statistics for 2005

53% Violent
19% Property
20% Drug
8% Public-order

FYI, I copied this from a post by Lagboltz #34. Credit where credit is due.

Only 1 in 5 prison inmates is there for drug related criminal acts. But here is the problem, drug use increases other crimes. For example, 5% of all homicides are drug related. 1/4th of all property crimes were to obtain money for drugs. 2/5ths of all rape are by people under the influence of drugs or alcohol. 27% of all victims of violent crime, claim the perpetrator was on something. That's opposed to 50% who didn't know either way.

Point being, drugs have a very clear causal link to other more serious crimes. So by releasing, or not prosecuting these criminals, we may only be incurring even more of the more serious crimes.

I would claim that by not dealing with illegal drugs, we're merely going to increase other crimes.

because if we locked up everyone for ever we would not have space issues? Or you just want to kill everyone?

Not everyone no. I don't think someone caught stealing a bicycle needs the death penalty. However, in Singapore, if you are caught with (some amount of drugs) it's considered drug trafficking which is a capital punishment offense. That may sound harsh, but then they don't even have a tiny fraction of the drug problem we do, and I wager that is why.

All murderers, rapist and other sexual offenders, should go straight to the electric chair. Especially repeat offenders.

As for the rest, I think prison should be a living nightmare. No TV of any kind. No climate control. No A/C whatsoever. No open visitation. The only time you should be allowed outside your cell is if you are working. And work should be hard. If you violate prison rules, you should be shot. If you riot, you get shot. If you hit a guard, you get shot. If you refused to obey a command, you get shot.

People think I don't have much mercy, but then I always see the women who can't love anyone anymore because she was raped and can't trust anyone. I see the children who has to grow up without a mother or father. I see those terrorized in their own homes. I see the countless stories of horror that cover our headlines.

The above is mercy, not on the offenders, but on the victims who know justice will be served.

Not everyone no. I don't think someone caught stealing a bicycle needs the death penalty. However, in Singapore, if you are caught with (some amount of drugs) it's considered drug trafficking which is a capital punishment offense. That may sound harsh, but then they don't even have a tiny fraction of the drug problem we do, and I wager that is why.

All murderers, rapist and other sexual offenders, should go straight to the electric chair. Especially repeat offenders.

As for the rest, I think prison should be a living nightmare. No TV of any kind. No climate control. No A/C whatsoever. No open visitation. The only time you should be allowed outside your cell is if you are working. And work should be hard. If you violate prison rules, you should be shot. If you riot, you get shot. If you hit a guard, you get shot. If you refused to obey a command, you get shot.

People think I don't have much mercy, but then I always see the women who can't love anyone anymore because she was raped and can't trust anyone. I see the children who has to grow up without a mother or father. I see those terrorized in their own homes. I see the countless stories of horror that cover our headlines.

The above is mercy, not on the offenders, but on the victims who know justice will be served.

can we do it for white crime as well? Also if Bush if found guilty of war crimes, you will support killing him right? and funny when someone sent to jail for lying under oath to protect someone who outed a CIA Op, ( treason I say) Bush just freed him, and I don't recall you caring much...He should have been shot...those border patrol guys Bush Pardon to the joy of the right...should have already been dead based on your view as well as the thousands of people wrongly jailed....nice system you want.

can we do it for white crime as well? Also if Bush if found guilty of war crimes, you will support killing him right? and funny when someone sent to jail for lying under oath to protect someone who outed a CIA Op, ( treason I say) Bush just freed him, and I don't recall you caring much...He should have been shot...those border patrol guys Bush Pardon to the joy of the right...should have already been dead based on your view as well as the thousands of people wrongly jailed....nice system you want.

Crime is crime. What the heck is white crime? Are you racist now?

I don't believe in international law whatsoever. A nation is sovereign. The idea of war-crimes is a joke to me.

The CIA operative was already fully disclosed. She wasn't even clandestine, and hadn't been for years. If you knew anything about the case, you'd know it was a non-event.

I have no idea what border patrol guys you are referring too.

As for the thousands of people wrongly jailed, leftist always talk about some mythical thousands wrongly jailed. Oddly, many that are released, end up murdering and raping again. Remember Willie Horton?

http://www.ojp.gov/bjs/prisons.htm Has the following statistics for 2005

53% Violent
19% Property
20% Drug
8% Public-order

FYI, I copied this from a post by Lagboltz #34. Credit where credit is due.

Only 1 in 5 prison inmates is there for drug related criminal acts. But here is the problem, drug use increases other crimes. For example, 5% of all homicides are drug related. 1/4th of all property crimes were to obtain money for drugs. 2/5ths of all rape are by people under the influence of drugs or alcohol. 27% of all victims of violent crime, claim the perpetrator was on something. That's opposed to 50% who didn't know either way.

Point being, drugs have a very clear causal link to other more serious crimes. So by releasing, or not prosecuting these criminals, we may only be incurring even more of the more serious crimes.

I would claim that by not dealing with illegal drugs, we're merely going to increase other crimes.

I think you're right, but dealing with addiction as a medical problem, rather than a legal problem, would be much more effective, and most likely less expensive.

Why do addicts have to be locked up at a cost of what? $40 grand a year? $50? There has to be a more effective and less expensive way to deal with this problem.

Here's my solution:

No one is to be locked up for a particular period of time, except, of course, those who are there for life. As for the rest, the sentence should be a certain amount of hard labor, commensurate with the crime, not a certain number of months or years spent loafing and watching TV. As soon as the labor is done, then the prisoner can rejoin society, so slackers will be imprisoned for a long, long time. We don't really need slackers in society, anyway, so that will be a positive.

While incarcerated, prisoners will live in tents surrounded by barbed wire fences and machine gun posts. Any attempt to escape is likely to be the end of the sentence, and the end of the prisoner.

There should be no TV, phone, computers, electricity, or other modern conveniences. Water can be carried from a central spigot to the prisoners' tents, of course by the prisoners.

Fighting, attempts to escape (non fatal that is), drug use (including tobacco), need to result in increased sentences. Habitual rule breakers can do their labor in the southern desert, where summer temps often are a brisk 110 degrees, even at night.

Recidivism should cease to be a problem rather soon.

Werbung:
Crime is crime. What the heck is white crime? Are you racist now?

I don't believe in international law whatsoever. A nation is sovereign. The idea of war-crimes is a joke to me.

The CIA operative was already fully disclosed. She wasn't even clandestine, and hadn't been for years. If you knew anything about the case, you'd know it was a non-event.

I have no idea what border patrol guys you are referring too.

As for the thousands of people wrongly jailed, leftist always talk about some mythical thousands wrongly jailed. Oddly, many that are released, end up murdering and raping again. Remember Willie Horton?

white collar crime , IE lets kill Ken lay ( nature did that already) and all those CEO's who stole billions, ect...

and its clear you know nothing about the CIA leak case...why do you think the CIA asked for a investigation? Stop watching Fox, you may learn something.

Back