Judge: Calif must release tens of thousands of prisoners due to overcrowding

I think you're right, but dealing with addiction as a medical problem, rather than a legal problem, would be much more effective, and most likely less expensive.

Why do addicts have to be locked up at a cost of what? $40 grand a year? $50? There has to be a more effective and less expensive way to deal with this problem.

Um... do you know how much state run rehab costs? Locking them up is cheaper by far.

California reports their rehab program might top $216K per person per year. Granted that's California. But still, the idea that having a dozen armed guards around a concrete block prison, is going to cost more than trained rehab nurses and unionized staff, with treatment drugs, all in addition to the armed guards... not prison is much cheaper.

Not to mention that drug abusers relapse far more often than prison inmates are incarcerated. So now, we're paying a ton more, to have them end up right back where they started.

Werbung:
white collar crime , IE lets kill Ken lay ( nature did that already) and all those CEO's who stole billions, ect...

and its clear you know nothing about the CIA leak case...why do you think the CIA asked for a investigation? Stop watching Fox, you may learn something.

They didn't steal billions. They committed fraud and were properly imprisoned for it. It's a sign the system works. We detected the fraud, stopped the illegal activities, and caught the people responsible, and served up their punishment for them. Now if only we did as well with violent crimes, as we do these.

Yes, and the investigation showed she was not undercover. Clearly you know nothing about the case. And I don't watch fox. That's a lame red herring showing you don't have an argument.

Here's a review.

First, how much of a covert spy agent, was Valerie Plame? Did it ever make you wonder when you read that Valerie Plame's top secret super classified code-name was "Valerie Plame"? Oooooo no one will catch on to that one.

Not to mention, Valerie Plame was able to get her own husband to go to Niger for the CIA. Wow, no one will catch that one either.

And her super special covert operation? A desk job at the CIA headquarters. No one will notice agent "Valerie Plame" drive up to the CIA HQ with her husband who's about to go to Niger. What massive covert operation was going on there. No one could possibly suspect anything!

Even Patrick Fitzgerald said, Plame was not covert. She was classified. Not covert. There is a difference. Yet even then, classified is pretty much anyone above the level of Janitor at the CIA. Plame... was an analyst. A pencil pusher, (are keyboard clicker) at the CIA, working in a cubical.

Nevertheless, classified information should be investigated, just in case there were violations. Yet somehow this became a major investigation to see who leaked. Yet Fitzgerald knew who leaked from the very start. It was Richard Armitage. Not Libby, not Cheney, not Bush. So what was Fitz investigating? Nothing. The whole thing was a massive waste of public money, over a nobody cubical worker at the CIA, who's husband tried to make it out like Bush attacked him.

Here's my solution:

No one is to be locked up for a particular period of time, except, of course, those who are there for life. As for the rest, the sentence should be a certain amount of hard labor, commensurate with the crime, not a certain number of months or years spent loafing and watching TV. As soon as the labor is done, then the prisoner can rejoin society, so slackers will be imprisoned for a long, long time. We don't really need slackers in society, anyway, so that will be a positive.

While incarcerated, prisoners will live in tents surrounded by barbed wire fences and machine gun posts. Any attempt to escape is likely to be the end of the sentence, and the end of the prisoner.

There should be no TV, phone, computers, electricity, or other modern conveniences. Water can be carried from a central spigot to the prisoners' tents, of course by the prisoners.

Fighting, attempts to escape (non fatal that is), drug use (including tobacco), need to result in increased sentences. Habitual rule breakers can do their labor in the southern desert, where summer temps often are a brisk 110 degrees, even at night.

Recidivism should cease to be a problem rather soon.

I like it. There are a few problems. First, what hard labor do you suggest? The problem with hard labor is that there is not much you can do inside a prison. And moving people outside the prison is risky and expensive.

Second, I love the tent idea, but what happens for those too far north? Let them freeze in the winter? In which case I might go for that.. but anyway. Or do you mean that we should have a centralized prison location for all states? How about the middle of Alaska? You can't escape, since it's a 500 miles of frozen tundra to any civilization. This sounds better and better.

The Soviets at least had that good idea. There was a prison built in the middle of the northern frozen forest. No one ever escaped from it.

Werbung:
I like it. There are a few problems. First, what hard labor do you suggest? The problem with hard labor is that there is not much you can do inside a prison. And moving people outside the prison is risky and expensive.

Second, I love the tent idea, but what happens for those too far north? Let them freeze in the winter? In which case I might go for that.. but anyway. Or do you mean that we should have a centralized prison location for all states? How about the middle of Alaska? You can't escape, since it's a 500 miles of frozen tundra to any civilization. This sounds better and better.

The Soviets at least had that good idea. There was a prison built in the middle of the northern frozen forest. No one ever escaped from it.

We would have to have prisons in different areas, depending on where the hard labor was. In California, for example, the levies were originally built by hand by Coolie labor. They need rebuilding, so why not do it the same way it was done in the 19th. century? It would be a lot cheaper than using heavy equipment and paying construction workers.

If the prisoner shows a penchant for escape, despite those machine gun nests, and survives them, then a prison in the Arctic might be a better assignment for them. Maybe we could start a habitat enhancement for endangered species, say for example, the Siberian tiger or the polar bear, immediately around the prison. That should give them something to think about before trying to escape through that frozen forest.

I'm not totally heartless. I'd allow the prisoners in the arctic space heaters for their tents.

Back