Kerry Calls For Russia To Help Rescue Syrian Debacle

GBFan

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry called on Russia to help bring Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to the negotiating table Monday and claimed that the Syrian leader was not making a good faith effort to find a peaceful end to the country's ongoing civil war.

Speaking in Jakarta, where he is meeting with Southeast Asian leaders, Kerry said that the Damascus regime "refused to open up one moment of discussion" and added that Assad was "trying to win this on the battlefield instead of coming to the negotiating table."

"Right now, Bashar al-Assad has not engaged in the discussions along the promised and required standard that both Russia spoke up for and the regime spoke up for," Kerry said during a press conference in Jakarta with Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa.

Kerry also had harsh words for Assad's allies in Moscow.

"Russia needs to be a part of the solution and not be contributing so many more weapons and so much more aid that they are in fact enabling Assad to double down," he said.

Russia has told the U.S. it was committed to helping create a transitional government, Kerry said, but has not delivered "the kind of effort to create the kind of dynamic by which that could be achieved."

Kerry's comments came after a second round of peace talks ended over the weekend with little progress. U.N.-Arab League mediator Lakhdar Brahimi apologized to the Syrian people as the talks wound down.

"I am very, very sorry, and I apologize to the Syrian people that their hopes which were very, very high that something will happen here," Brahimi said Sunday.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Somebody PLEASE tell me you are surprised by the incompetence of Kerry and Obama - please!

Werbung:
Back