1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Kosovo to honor Bill Clinton with statue

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by KingBall, May 23, 2007.

1. KingBall

KingBall New Member

Im not sure this is the right forum for this, but it sure is funny!

PODUJEVO, Serbia (Reuters) - Kosovo Albanians plan to honor their "savior" Bill Clinton by erecting a statue of the former United States president in the capital of Serbia's breakaway province.

The three-meter (10-foot) tall monument is still under construction in a studio in Podujevo north of Pristina.

"He is our savior. He saved us from extermination," sculptor Izeir Mustafa told Reuters. "I was thrilled by the work because I know what he did for us."

Kosovo has been under U.N. administration since 1999 after 78 days of NATO bombing ousted Serb troops who had killed some 10,000 ethnic Albanians in an 18-month counter-insurgency war against Albanian separatist guerrillas.

Ninety percent of Kosovo's 2 million people are ethnic Albanians. They expect to get their own state in the coming months with U.S. and European Union support, despite the opposition of Serbia and its main ally, Russia.

Clinton, as leader of the NATO alliance, is seen as the man who decided to bomb Serbia to force the late strongman Slobodan Milosevic to withdraw his forces from Kosovo, effectively handing victory to the Kosovo Liberation Army.

Pristina already has a road named after him, graced by a 12-metre (25 foot) tall mural of the former president. Pristina municipal authorities say they expect to erect the statue somewhere along Clinton Boulevard later this summer.

Mustafa has several more days to work before he bronzes the sculpture of Clinton, after which he will turn his attention to another soon-to-be former Western leader. . "I definitely will do a statue of (British Prime Minister) Tony Blair," he said. "He saved us as well".

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSL2316200920070523?feedType=RSS

2. Justinian

Justinian New Member

What

Man that's stupid. I wonder who's funding it because I don't believe the majority agreed with our interference as I didn't. Clinton thinks he's such a champion of freedom when he thinks he can stop a country manifesting its destiny. What a politically driven slime ball.

3. vyo476

vyo476 Active Member

It works so long as his fly is undone and there's a Monica statue with her tongue sticking out in storage for special occasions.

4. lipmonkey

lipmonkey New Member

At least Clinton was smart enough to keep us out of Iraq.;)

5. TheWaffle

TheWaffle New Member

You call it manifestation of a country's destiny. I call it ethnic cleansing and mass murder. For all people go on about Saddam Hussein; what was going on in Kosovo killed 10,000 and displaced thousands more. And many more would've died had we not intervened.

Are you familiar with Srebrenica?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srebrenica_massacre

6. top gun

top gun New Member

Absolutely!

Clinton did such a good job in every aspect of his job. Granted he played around in his personal life (which the Republicans should thank they're lucky stars for because if he hadn't they probably wouldn't have seen a Republican president for decades) but on the job... the guy was stellar!

People often get the job of their father or their preacher mixed up with the job of the president. You need a president that can make things happen... a political businessman.

I always give this example:

The Pope is an honorable, spiritual and good person. But if I had to choose between the Pope & Donald Trump for president I'd have to pick Trump. He's a businessman. He knows how to get things done in a business environment. And running the United States of America is the world's biggest business environment.

7. lipmonkey

lipmonkey New Member

Clinton screwed one person, Bush screwed the whole country.

Seriously though, Clinton handled that conflict rather well.IMO.

8. Coyote

Coyote Active Member

I get the uncomfortable feeling some of these people approve of ethnic cleansing...I mean, as long as it's cleansing muslims.

9. vyo476

vyo476 Active Member

I believe our new friend Justinian does.

10. Coyote

Coyote Active Member

Perhaps he needs some guidance....

11. Rockin Mark

Rockin Mark New Member

i wonder................

................if she'll be in the statue ..............and will he be holding a cigar???

12. KingBall

KingBall New Member

13. lipmonkey

lipmonkey New Member

I've seen that list before.:) I don't pay much attention to it.

14. KingBall

KingBall New Member

That's a good idea! You don't want to end up like them:eek:

15. lipmonkey

lipmonkey New Member

I saw the list show up on snoops a while back but I really don't want to get into trying to explain it's finer points. Plus it might be a bit off- topic to go into any great details of a CT discussion.