Leon Panetta as head of CIA????

XCALIDEM

Is Obama crazy|? What Fuuck is he thinking? Putting the the security of the nation in the hands of a man who does not have the qualifications to run the CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY?
In a time of war we need people with big cojones and won't question his actions.
Osama Bin Laden is probably lauging his ass off in his cave right now, knowing that he can attack us now at any time.... :mad:

Bill Clinton's former chief of staff has been tapped to head the CIA in President-elect Barack Obama's administration, FOX News has learned.

Two Democratic sources close to the transition process said Monday that Leon Panetta, who also previously led the White House Office of Management and Budget, is Obama's pick to replace Michael Hayden at the CIA.

One Democratic official also confirmed that retired Adm. Dennis Blair is Obama's choice for national intelligence director. That announcement is not unexpected. The 34-year old Navy veteran was chief of the U.S. Pacific Command during the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Blair is also a China expert, and he was an associate director for military support at the CIA.

Panetta is a surprise pick since he has no experience in the intelligence world. However, as chief of staff he had considerable access to intelligence information and knows how the community operates.

Panetta was a longtime congressman from California who also served on the Iraq Study Group, a bipartisan panel that released a report at the end of 2006 with dozens of recommendations for reversing course in the Iraq war.

He is just the latest Clinton-era official to be invited into Obama's administration. Obama's pick for chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, also worked in the Clinton White House as a senior adviser to the president. A number of other nominees to key positions worked in the Clinton administration.

Panetta currently directs with his wife Sylvia the Leon & Sylvia Panetta Institute for Public Policy, based at California State University, Monterey Bay a university he helped establish on the site of the former U.S. Army base, Fort O
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/05/leon-panetta-tapped-head-cia-sources-say/

Werbung:
I have not taken issue with any of his other appointments, except to say that they are all clinton people and he said we needed to turn the page, he said that putting the same people in differnt chairs would not work.

but this appointment is flat out stupid and really its dangerous for all of us. to put an unqualified person in such an important position is just flat dumb

but on a lighter note, obama is going to put money into NASA and into the space program and I figured he would not do that, not sure who he is going to tax to get the money but I like NASA so I am happy we are not going to let China beat us in the space program

I have not taken issue with any of his other appointments, except to say that they are all clinton people and he said we needed to turn the page, he said that putting the same people in differnt chairs would not work.

but this appointment is flat out stupid and really its dangerous for all of us. to put an unqualified person in such an important position is just flat dumb

but on a lighter note, obama is going to put money into NASA and into the space program and I figured he would not do that, not sure who he is going to tax to get the money but I like NASA so I am happy we are not going to let China beat us in the space program

We already sold our top secrets to the chinese...:mad:

Panetta's accomplishments

Panetta started politics in 1966 as a legislative assistant to Republican Senator Thomas Kuchel, the United States Senate Minority Whip from California, whom Panetta has called "a tremendous role model"[2].

In 1969 he became the assistant to Robert H. Finch, Secretary of the United States Department of Health, Education, and Welfare under the Nixon administration. Soon thereafter he was appointed Director of the Office for Civil Rights.

Panetta chose to enforce civil rights and equal education laws, even under political pressure not to from then-president Nixon, who was implementing his "Southern strategy". Robert Mardian said of Panetta: "Doesn't he understand Nixon promised the Southern delegates he would stop enforcing the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts?"[3]. Secretary Robert Finch and Assistant Secretary John Veneman refused to fire Panetta, threatening to resign if forced to do so. A few weeks later in 1970, Panetta resigned and left Washington to work as Executive Assistant for John Lindsay, the Republican Mayor of New York City. He wrote about this experience in his 1971 book Bring Us Together: The Nixon Team and the Civil Rights Retreat.

He moved back to Monterey to practice law at Panetta, Thompson & Panetta from 1971 through to 1976.

[edit] Congressional work
Panetta switched to the Democratic Party in 1971, because he thought that the Republican Party was moving away from the political center, and it was working against Civil Rights legislation. In 1976, Panetta was elected to the U.S. Congress to represent California's 16th congressional district, unseating incumbent Republican Burt Talcott with 53% of the vote (the 17th district after the 1990 census), and was reelected for nine terms.

During his time in Congress, his work concentrated mostly on budget issues, civil rights, education, health, and environmental issues, particularly preventing oil drilling off the California coast. He wrote the Hunger Prevention Act (Public Law 100-435) of 1988 and the Fair Employment Practices Resolution. He was a major factor in establishing the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.

His positions included:

Chairman of the U.S. House Committee on the Budget
Chairman of the Agriculture Committee's Subcommittee on Domestic Marketing, Consumer Relations, and Nutrition
Chairman of the Administration Committee's Subcommittee on Personnel and Police
Chairman of the Task Force on Domestic Hunger created by the U.S. House Select Committee on Hunger
Vice Chairman of the Caucus of Vietnam-Era Veterans in Congress
Member of the President's Commission on Foreign Language and International Studies.

[edit] Budget work

Panetta (right) meets with National Security Advisor Anthony Lake and President Clinton in 1994.A member of the U.S. House Committee on the Budget from 1979 to 1985 -- and its chairman from 1989 to 1993 -- he played a key role in the 1990 Budget Summit.

Though elected to a ninth term, he left the House in 1993 after then-President Bill Clinton selected him to be Director of the United States Office of Management and Budget. He is credited with developing the budget package that would eventually result in the balanced budget of 1998. On July 17, 1994, he was appointed White House Chief of Staff by Clinton, a position he held until January 20, 1997. He was an important negotiator of the 1996 budget, which was another important step towards balancing the budget.

I don't know, but it doesn't show anywhere experience in the military, or running a law enforcement office?

Is Obama crazy|? What Fuuck is he thinking? Putting the the security of the nation in the hands of a man who does not have the qualifications to run the CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY?
Yeah.....that's a big-issue....who gathers intelligence-info (which is what the CIA is SUPPOSED-to-do!).

How that info is USED, is where Republicans have issues. :rolleyes:

Re: Panetta's accomplishments

I don't know, but it doesn't show anywhere experience in the military, or running a law enforcement office?

According to the appropriate wikipedia entry, he was a commissioned officer in the Army for a two year term, ending 1966, for which service he received a medal of commendation.

The CIA is, at the end of the day, a bureaucratic agency so one should not be overly concerned with it being run by a professional bureaucrat. To the extent that his lack of intelligence background is troubling, it's that the CIA is notoriously intolerant of being run by outsiders.

I suspect he is one of those fellows who will quit within a year or otherwise stay on for a long, long time. Barring, of course, any kind of intel failure for which he would be the first one thrown under the bus.

According to the appropriate wikipedia entry, he was a commissioned officer in the Army for a two year term, ending 1966, for which service he received a medal of commendation.

1966 IS NOT 2001 and/or the 21st century. We're facing so many enemies, even within our country.

Have you thought about finding new sleeping cells in our country?

when was the last attack in the US before 911? thats right it was back in like 1992...yet you act like its a big deal.

What's the big deal? Dude, where have you been? We're constantly fighting against freaking alqeada terrorists. I'm sure there's a lot of shiit that goes on under cover that we don't know about.

Because of Patriot Act we haven't had the spread of muslim militants as they do in England.

If the attack prior to 2001 was in 1992, then think about how long does it take for the sleeping cells to plan the next attack?

Would you like to be aboard the next plane that blows up in the air, or perhaps one of your family members in it?

We will soon have an incompetent president, we don't need someone else who lacks experience in counter terrorism.

1966 IS NOT 2001 and/or the 21st century. We're facing so many enemies, even within our country.
Ohhh the same could be said for the Bush Administration. Or even what would have been a McCain/Palin administration.
Have you thought about finding new sleeping cells in our country?
You do realize that this mostly falls to the FBI right?

The CIA is, at the end of the day, a bureaucratic agency so one should not be overly concerned with it being run by a professional bureaucrat. To the extent that his lack of intelligence background is troubling, it's that the CIA is notoriously intolerant of being run by outsiders.

I suspect he is one of those fellows who will quit within a year or otherwise stay on for a long, long time. Barring, of course, any kind of intel failure for which he would be the first one thrown under the bus.

Excellent post SW85, I think it is worthy to note, that the failure of the CIA when it came to Iraq was the lack of a skilled person to disagree with an administration who only wanted to see evidence of something they already thought true, and to disregard everything else. While I am cautious about the pick, I wish him nothing but the best. We need a CIA leader with a SPINE who is able to secure the funds necessary for the task and the freedom to tell the truth about the situation at hand.

Werbung:
Back