Lou Dobbs Says He's Leaving CNN Immediately

Pandora

CNN's Lou Dobbs, a lightning rod for criticism following his transition from a business journalist to an opinionated anchor on such issues as illegal immigration, told viewers on Wednesday that he was quitting his nightly show to pursue new opportunities.

"This will be my last broadcast," Dobbs said after giving the day's headlines. Dobbs, who hosts a daily radio show unrelated to CNN, said the network had allowed him to be released early from his contract.

Dobbs was a CNN original, signing on when the cable network started in 1980. For much of that time, he hosted a nightly business broadcast that became one of the most influential shows in the corporate world, and CNN's most profitable show for advertising revenue.

But Dobbs said his world view changed after the 2001 terrorist attacks and corporate corruption scandals, and he began to more freely express his opinions. He was particularly persistent in bringing the immigration issue to the fore, winning him both higher ratings and enemies. Latino groups had an active petition drive seeking his removal.

His presence became awkward for CNN, particularly as it began emphasizing reporting and non-opinion shows. He angered management this summer by pressing questions about President Barack Obama's birth site after CNN reporters determined there was no issue.

Dobbs said the decision came after many months of discussion with CNN U.S. President Jon Klein. Dobbs said he wanted to concentrate on his role as a commentator and on advocacy journalism.

Klein hailed Dobbs' "appetite for big ideas, the megawatt smile and larger than life presence he brought to our newsroom."

"With characteristic forthrightness, Lou has now decided to carry the banner of advocacy journalism elsewhere," Klein said. "We respect his decision."

Dobbs said he was proud of his role in helping to build the first cable news network. He said some leaders in media, politics and business "have been urging me to go beyond my role here at CNN and to engage in constructive problem-solving."

Seated at an anchor desk in front of a screen with a fluttering American flag, Dobbs mentioned his interest in issues such as health care, jobs, immigration, climate change and the wars.

"Unfortunately, these issues are now defined in the public arena by partisanship and ideology rather than rigorous empirical thought and forthright analysis and discussion," he said. "I will be working diligently to change that as best I can."

His resignation was hailed by activists who were seeking his ouster.

"Our contention all along was that Lou Dobbs — who has a long history of spreading lies and conspiracy theories about immigrants and Latinos — does not belong on the most trusted name in news," said Roberto Lovato, co-founder of Presente.org. "We are thrilled that Dobbs no longer has the legitimate platform from which to incite fear and hate."

Tom Saenz, president of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, the leading Latino legal organization, said, "I think the Latino community can and should celebrate that Lou Dobbs is no longer on CNN."

Dobbs did not immediately return telephone and e-mail messages to talk about his critics.

Although he joined CNN in 1980, Dobbs left the network for two year in 1999, after angrily complaining on the air about a decision by then-CNN President Rick Kaplan to switch away from his show to a live news event. An Internet venture failed and when Kaplan left CNN, Dobbs returned.

A decision on who will replace Dobbs is expected to be announced on Thursday

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/lou_dobbs_quit_cnn/2009/11/11/285104.html?s=al&promo_code=90C1-1

I never liked him much though I agreed with him on a couple of topics.

I am sure the left will be very happy. I read often on lib blogs that he had no business on CNN.. I take that in he was not "left" enough for them.

Good luck to him where ever he goes.... I hope its not FOX

Werbung:
he was like watching a broken record for last few years....glad he is gone...not that I watch CNN anyway but still...

The whole crazy birther thing just killed his credibility.

When he was just arguing against illegal immigration (be it often in a rather half truth or unrealistic sort of way) he at least had a nugget of a reasonable problem needing to be looked at to prop him up. And illegal immigration was a subject that many gravitate to for all kinds of good & bad reasons. So he had a niche.

But when he walked out on that birther branch it was like stamping his public cred on the belief that a human is an immortal alien spiritual and Xenu their leader as in the belief in Scientology.

It was just too out there and without any evidence whatsoever. A personal guess against the obvious checks & honor of The President of the United States of America... not so good Lou.

Dobbs whole shtick was he knew the answer to EVERYTHING. Well sometimes that comes back to haunt ya when people figure out you don't.
:)

The whole crazy birther thing just killed his credibility.

When he was just arguing against illegal immigration (be it often in a rather half truth or unrealistic sort of way) he at least had a nugget of a reasonable problem needing to be looked at to prop him up. And illegal immigration was a subject that many gravitate to for all kinds of good & bad reasons. So he had a niche.

But when he walked out on that birther branch it was like stamping his public cred on the belief that a human is an immortal alien spiritual and Xenu their leader as in the belief in Scientology.

It was just too out there and without any evidence whatsoever. A personal guess against the obvious checks & honor of The President of the United States of America... not so good Lou.

Dobbs whole shtick was he knew the answer to EVERYTHING. Well sometimes that comes back to haunt ya when people figure out you don't.
:)

Daring to point out the problem with illegals got him in hot water first, daring to ask if a person should prove they are natural born was what did him in.

I am glad he is not on CNN, I just dont want him to move to FOX, I would rather he retired... in peace, without being attacked.

Daring to point out the problem with illegals got him in hot water first, daring to ask if a person should prove they are natural born was what did him in.

I am glad he is not on CNN, I just dont want him to move to FOX, I would rather he retired... in peace, without being attacked.

its when you ask over and over...to someone who proved it over and over...that you look like a jackass

its when you ask over and over...to someone who proved it over and over...that you look like a jackass

Did he ask about the birth certificate over and over? I know of twice it came up. The first time he just talked about it being an issue and the second time I knew of he defended himself from a bunch of nasty emails.

The illegal issue, he talked about a whole lot, I agree with him on the topic but didnt want to hear about it constantly.

Other than those two issues he seems pretty middle of the road to leaning left to me but he is shuned by the left, and the left keeps saying they are the big tent party.

The left has certian issues you dont mess with. Abortion, illegals, homosexuality. It defines what the left is. The right has those same issues but on the other side and add national security and freedom of religion.

It seems odd to me that when the right trys to stand hard on those issues they are radical but the left can throw someone like dobbs over the boat for not agreeing on two topics and that is ok.

just seems like a double standard to me

I say the left should keep dobbs :)

Did he ask about the birth certificate over and over? I know of twice it came up. The first time he just talked about it being an issue and the second time I knew of he defended himself from a bunch of nasty emails.

The illegal issue, he talked about a whole lot, I agree with him on the topic but didnt want to hear about it constantly.

Other than those two issues he seems pretty middle of the road to leaning left to me but he is shuned by the left, and the left keeps saying they are the big tent party.

The left has certian issues you dont mess with. Abortion, illegals, homosexuality. It defines what the left is. The right has those same issues but on the other side and add national security and freedom of religion.

It seems odd to me that when the right trys to stand hard on those issues they are radical but the left can throw someone like dobbs over the boat for not agreeing on two topics and that is ok.

just seems like a double standard to me

I say the left should keep dobbs :)

he asked to leave, he was not fired

and I recall him talking about the birther crap more then a few times, and don't even watch CNN much

he asked to leave, he was not fired

and I recall him talking about the birther crap more then a few times, and don't even watch CNN much

He could have talked about it more, I got two reports on it. I set my comp up to inform me when the topic came up and with him, it only happened twice. But I dont watch him, I could not even stand when PLC1 had his picture on his avatar.

I did not think he was fired but its pretty clear he was pushed the direction he is going.

If the dems are such a big tent this pro abortion, higher taxes government loving guy should be able to fit right in and be welcomed with open arms. But instead groups have advocated to have him removed from CNN because he doesnt fit in with the idiots like Anderson Cooper and the other far left leaning people. But we must remember CNN is not a bias network :)

OHHHH BIB: just seems like a double standard to me

And I know of NO ONE BEST SUITED to understand a double standard around here then YOU;)

Listening to Lou Dobbs: for many a year...the man had a passion about the long term impact of all those unaccountable illegals that were steadily streaming into this country and if we have a President who affirms that 'HE WILL KEEP US SAFE'...well, it just proves that the VISION of the past 8 years was extremely SELECTIVE in what they deemed keeping us safe.

But understanding that concept would mean listening and viewing something with an OPEN MIND and ignoring the hysteria Bu!! SH!T spewed by Faux News and their screaming heads

And I know of NO ONE BEST SUITED to understand a double standard around here then YOU;)

Listening to Lou Dobbs: for many a year...the man had a passion about the long term impact of all those unaccountable illegals that were steadily streaming into this country and if we have a President who affirms that 'HE WILL KEEP US SAFE'...well, it just proves that the VISION of the past 8 years was extremely SELECTIVE in what they deemed keeping us safe.

But understanding that concept would mean listening and viewing something with an OPEN MIND and ignoring the hysteria Bu!! SH!T spewed by Faux News and their screaming heads

There are a lot of things going on in this country and on the planet that I would not know about if I didnt tune in to FOX news. Regular every day news can be gotten on any of the other channels, but there are topics they will not touch.

I think its pretty stupid to refuse to watch one network because you dont like that point of view. I think its much smarter to watch a bit of all the networks and read both right and left leaning papers to get a rounded view.

If all you do is listen to one side then you are only partially informed.

Pan you know Dobbs was a loose cannon.;)

There's a difference between discussing illegal immigration and just turning the whole issue into a circus act. He did a Palin. Found a niche with a group and exploited it way out of proportion for his own self aggrandizing.

But when he went birther crazy... that showed a pretty big character flaw if you want to be seen as a legitimate news person.

Let me put it this way. Crazy Uber-Conservative Ann Coulter who would gladly say our President was a barnyard animal if she could get it off and hurt the Democrats... says the whole birther thing was complete & utter nonsense.

Here it is...

There are a lot of things going on in this country and on the planet that I would not know about if I didnt tune in to FOX news. Regular every day news can be gotten on any of the other channels, but there are topics they will not touch.

I think its pretty stupid to refuse to watch one network because you dont like that point of view. I think its much smarter to watch a bit of all the networks and read both right and left leaning papers to get a rounded view.

If all you do is listen to one side then you are only partially informed.

I am sure fox does report alot of things others don't...often due to lack of truth or facts to make it worth reporting on others...

Werbung:
Pan you know Dobbs was a loose cannon.;)

There's a difference between discussing illegal immigration and just turning the whole issue into a circus act. He did a Palin. Found a niche with a group and exploited it way out of proportion for his own self aggrandizing.

But when he went birther crazy... that showed a pretty big character flaw if you want to be seen as a legitimate news person.

Let me put it this way. Crazy Uber-Conservative Ann Coulter who would gladly say our President was a barnyard animal if she could get it off and hurt the Democrats... says the whole birther thing was complete & utter nonsense.

Here it is...

There is a new florida congressman who is by far a worse loose cannon but I dont see you snubbing him. If you are as big tent as you claim you should be welcoming lou dobbs and all his ideas minus illegals and birth certificates.

You guys are not as big tent as you claim

Back