Mackey Wins Iditarod 2009

Bunz

For those who dont know, Lance Mackey has three peated as Iditarod champion. Cruising into Nome Alaska with 15 dogs lead by super athletes Larry and Maple, with a commanding lead after roughly 11 days on the trail covering over 1000 miles.

Overall this makes for a 7 out of 7 race victory in the last 4 years, with 4 Yukon Quest wins and his Iditarod threepeat. Utterly dominating the dog mushing sport in the 21st century.

http://www.adn.com/iditarod/2009/story/727673.html
This is a pretty good write up about the race.

Here are some pics from the trail from various teams.
216-araup_6.1236733921.standalone.prod_affiliate.7.jpeg

This photo is very cliche when it comes to the Iditarod trail.
510-araup_7.1237067302.standalone.prod_affiliate.7.jpeg

I include this one, because one thing that is common in rural Alaska is broken vehicles. I get a kick out of the fact that the traditional mode of transportation is still much more effective in most Alaskans places than automobiles.
902-araup_8.1237067302.standalone.prod_affiliate.7.jpeg

Werbung:
Here the musher is crossing the frozen ocean. But I liked the mountains in the back.
258-Shak03.standalone.prod_affiliate.7.jpg

Of course the locals come out to greet the mushers.
151-araup_11.1237335746.standalone.prod_affiliate.7.jpeg

A mushers truck, something commonly seen in Alaska, but probably not many other places. In all fairness, not exactly a lot of horse trailers here.
123-araup_16.1236456145.standalone.prod_affiliate.7.jpeg

Check out the very nicely done seal skin parka on this kid. This photo is from the ceremonial start in Anchorage.
357-araup_23.1236456145.standalone.prod_affiliate.7.jpeg

Scott Davis and Todd Palin took a somewhat disappointing 6th this year. About 4 hours behind the winners when looking at the overall course time.

While I follow both races, as do many Alaskans, the Iditarod is far more poppular and difficult. What Lance Mackey has accomplished in dog mushing, in this day and age, would be like winning the Iron Dog 10 years in a row. Or a race horse winning the triple crown 3 years straight.

Werbung:
Scott Davis and Todd Palin took a somewhat disappointing 6th this year. About 4 hours behind the winners when looking at the overall course time.

While I follow both races, as do many Alaskans, the Iditarod is far more poppular and difficult. What Lance Mackey has accomplished in dog mushing, in this day and age, would be like winning the Iron Dog 10 years in a row. Or a race horse winning the triple crown 3 years straight.

If I lived up there I'd expect a trophy & ribbon if I made it from my front door to my truck! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:D

Back