1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Many at Gitmo are innocent

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by PLC1, Mar 20, 2009.

1. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

Ex-Bush admin official: Many at Gitmo are innocent

A couple of dozen out of 800 are actually terrorists, and we really can't try them because they were tortured. Pathetic.

2. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Well-Known Member

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
    most of the right on here will not care if they are innocent , if they are tortured, or if we break US or international law...so almost pointless to post this.

3. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

If they are innocent then hopefully they will be let out, given a few million dollars to make up for the mean evil ugly Americans crazed and blood thirsty quest to keep the Nation safe. I understand the obama administration is proudly releasing at least a few of these guys in the United States and they can use the new found money to buy a house right next to yours.:eek:

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/some-gitmo-prisoners-could-released-in-us-2569286

4. pocketfullofshells

don't act like you care, you dont. you dont even want them to have real trials to show they are not guilty in the first place..

5. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

C'mon...c'mon.....you got something against KAPITALISM??!!!

6. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

I don't care. Some guy who says he got his information "reading memos" and can somehow claim that only a few of them are terrorists is ridiculous. Further, the way GTMO operated, high ranking officers were kept at a distance for the most part, to ensure that interrogators credibility was not ruined, and to have the detainee perceive they where the "boss." This guy would have had no interaction with any of the prisoners or interrogation methods.

Now, certainly there are probably a few people there who do not deserve to be, but the majority of them should be there.

The number of people "tortured" at GTMO is tiny, and it is a real problem that trying them would result in them being set free at this point, which no one wants.

It is certainly a problem holding them forever, but simply saying "close the base and figure it out" has so far yielded no results. Europe has backed off of taking any. Yemen seems to be willing to take a few, but Yemen is one of the major hotbeds of terrorism in the world. Sending someone there all but assures they get involved again.

7. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

You don’t know anything about me so don’t pretend you do. I will tell you this much, if there really is anyone innocent there, then I do hope they are released and sent back to their own country. But if there is anyone guilty and they are really released on our soil, I do hope they end up next door to you. And I hope you and people like you are the only ones affected by what they will do next. You will surely deserve it fully and completely.

8. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

Yeah, we wouldn't want any torturers leaving there, with a bad "rep", or anything.

Hell, they might (actually) try to secure positions in the field-of-education....and, we wouldn't want any Moms or Dads gettin' overly-excited at such a prospect.​

9. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

Then I guess congress should find a way to determine who is innocent and who is guilty. It is their jobs to write laws after all.

10. chestnut

chestnut New Member

Send them to their own country. Keep them out of the U.S.

11. pocketfullofshells

well we are working on that , after 8 years of how can we make sure no they have no lawyers, no legal rights, and cant see any evidence against them, or even know what they are charged with.

And for all you torture lovers, outside of being illegal, its also putting our cases at risk, cost some already, and also....does not work.

12. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

It would seem (if you are correct) that perhaps the Presidential powers have become too large if all the kings horses and all the kings men can't even knock him off the wall.

13. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Actually, no you are not. Most are simply being released as far as I've read.

You keep forgetting the Constitution only applies to American citizens. This is like high school level education here.

14. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

Ya' gotta quit relying on the tabloids (and, NY Post) for your news.

:rolleyes:

15. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

You miss the entire issue...big shock... huge.