McCain: Wrong, Wrong, Wrong

Greco

John McCain is campaigning on his unwavering support for Bush’s needless war in Iraq. He’s even said we should stay there for 100+ years. He’s trying to project the image that he has superior knowledge about this needless war and it’s a cornerstone of his presidential campaign.

But John McCain has a problem. He has a record on Iraq. He has a record he can be, and should be judged by.

John McCain has repeatedly confused Sunni and ****e religious sects, revealing a stunning ignorance for a senator who claims to be the sole possessor of superior knowledge and judgment regarding U.S. involvement in Iraq. Frankly, McCain has an astonishing record of inaccurate assessments and poor predictions about Bush’s needless war in Iraq. From his nonsensical assessment of the security of Baghdad to his assertions of political progress in Iraq, which even the top U.S. commander in that country contradicts, McCain has a damning history of being wrong on Iraq.

McCain said the war in Iraq would be “One of the best things that’s happened to America.” While appearing on NBC’s Meet The Press, McCain said, “We’re going to be all right. We’re going to prevail and we will win and it’ll be one of the best things that’s happened to America and the world in a long time ‘cause it’ll reverberate throughout the Middle East.” (March 3, 2003)

Five years later, 4,000+ dead Americans, $3 trillion spent and no “reverberation”, this is “one of the best things that’s happened to America”?

McCain predicted “Great Joy and Pleasure in Iraq”. While appearing on NBC’s Meet The Press, McCain said, “I believe that these people have the same yearnings for freedom and democracy and independence and self-determination that every person on earth does, and once this Gestapo is off of their backs, then I think you will see great joy and pleasure that we were able to free them and that will not come until they are sure that they don’t have Saddam Hussein returning again.” (March 30, 2003)

Five years later, 4,000+ dead Americans, $3 trillion spent and where’s the “great joy and pleasure” in Iraq” Instead, we’re battling insurgents, that’s Iraqi citizens, that seem to be annoyed with an invasion and prospect of a 100+ year occupation.

McCain said Bush led with “clarity and did not exaggerate the case for war”. In 2003, McCain praised George W. Bush’s leadership on the Iraq war saying, “I think the president has let with great clarity and I think he’s done a great job leading the country, don’t you all?” And asked if he thought the president exaggerated the case for war, McCain said, “I don’t think so.” (MsNBC Hardball, April 4, 2003 / Fox News July 31, 2003)

Five years later, 4,000+ dead Americans, $3 trillion spent, no weapons of mass destruction in 200 known sites, no nuclear threat, no clear and present danger to America, in fact 100% of Bush’s claims used as sole justification for starting his needless war turned out to 100% false, and McCain says “no exaggeration”.

McCain said that disarming Iraq would, “Significantly Improve the Stability of The Region.” In a 2003 New York Times op-ed, McCain wrote, “Many critics suggest that disarming Iraq through regime change would not result in an improved peace. There are risks in this endeavor, to be sure. But no one can plausible argue that ridding the world of Saddam Hussein will not significantly improve the stability of the region and the security of American interests and values. (March 13, 2003)

Five years later, 4000+ dead Americans, $3 trillion spent, and no “stability in the region”. We don’t even have “stability in Iraq”. We don’t even have “stability” in Baghdad. We don’t even have “stability” in the Green Zone. Then there’s the issue of Bush’s needless war enhancing Iran’s influence in the region to a point where the Republicans are contemplating starting yet another war they can lose.

McCain predicted “Jubilant Iraqis Would Diminish Anti-American Sentiment in The Middle East.” In the build up to the Iraq war, McCain stated that it is “more likely that antipathy toward the United States in the Islamic world might diminish amid the demonstrations of jubilant Iraqis celebrating the end of a regime that has fee equals in its ruthlessness. (American Conservative Magazine, February 11, 2003)

Five years later, 4,000+ dead Americans, $3 trillion spent and no “jubilant Iraqis” The reality is, Bush’s blunder in strategy allowed a civil war to erupt. The fact is, anti-American sentiment in the Middle East has swelled the ranks of al-Qaeda as a great recruiting tool. The fact is, all of our own intelligence agencies are on the record in stating the Iraq war has made America less safe. In the face of this evidence, McCain wants to continue this mistake for 100+ years.

Repeatedly, McCain Claimed The United States Would Win Easily in Iraq. In 2002 and 2003, before the invasion, McCain repeatedly claimed success in Iraq would be easy and minimized potential risks. According to CNN, McCain stated, “Because I know that as successful as I believe we will be, and I believe that the success will be fairly easy, we will still lose some American young men or women.” (March 17, 2003)

Five years later, 4,000+ dead Americans, $3 trillion spent, a civil war in progress, tens of thousands more troops and this is “easy”? It was “easier” and faster to defeat the Germans and Japanese in WW II than to just create order in Iraq. It was so “easy” McCain now thinks we should still be working on it for 100+ years.

When it comes to Iraq, a cornerstone to his bid to become president, John McCain has a record we can view and judge him by. He’s been consistent. He’s been consistently wrong. He’s been wrong, dead wrong. He was wrong then. He’s wrong now. His claims are not subject to spin. They’re documented and reveal the danger of allowing anyone so consistently wrong the opportunity to make the mess he helped create, get worse.

John McCain, who has been consistently wrong, is wrong for America. His own well established record proves that beyond any doubt.

Werbung:
When they accused you of cut and paste, they sure were correct. Can you come up with something on your own? I'll be glad to debate many of those. As a conservativem I do not sgree with many things McCain supports, but I damn sure can see the alternative is a disastor.
To prevent this from being a novel in response to your plagerized article, lets take it one at a time.
The war in Iraq...It is being won. That simple. I don't need to go into all the negative quotes from reid about it being lost, or barrack who said it was unwinable...
Bottom line...we are winning.....Thank you PRESIDENT Bush.

I wrote that piece. I did the research. You're claim of plazerism is a lie. Bottom line, none of McCain's ridiculous claims can be challenged. He made them. They're documented.

We also thank President Bush. We thank him for making such a colossal mess of everything that the White House is going to be occupied by President Obama.

You couldn't have the time to write it, it's the joe bidden research. Besides, McCain was correct...we are winning...got to get back to work Greco, will look forward to getting back with you tomorrow.

What your post ignores is the actual time frame in Iraq.

We were greeted happily upon the immediate overthrow of Saddam. It was the ensuing occupation that was entirely botched. Was McCain supposed to dictate to the Army how to run the occupation?

So aside from all of your out of context comments, we can look at the more recent future.

Who was it that said the surge would cause the violence to get worse? That was Obama.

While Obama simply attacked every policy from the Bush administration, McCain championed an actual solution that has worked in a major way.

Your 100 year quote is entirely taken out of context as well. (not surprisingly) McCain said we have bases all over the world, such as in Europe and Japan for around 60 years, and that as long as American soldiers were safe, he would be open to the idea of bases in Iraq such as those in Europe.

Of course you can take that however you want it, but your context and interpretations are off base.

I guess McCain knows a secret that Gen. Petraeus doesn't.

"One of the McCain campaign's chief assaults on Barack Obama is that McCain is insisting that the troops return only after "victory" in Iraq, while Obama refuses to use that word -- a position the McCain forces describe as tantamount to wanting to lose.

But it turns out that none other than General Petraeus may now be refusing to use the word "victory," too.

In an interview with the BBC, Petraeus said he didn't know if he could promise "victory," said he didn't know if he would ever even use that word, and suggested that using it is irresponsible."

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/petraeus_no_victory_and_going.php

"You couldn't have the time to write it, it's the joe bidden research. Besides, McCain was correct...we are winning...got to get back to work Greco, will look forward to getting back with you tomorrow."

Once again you keep up with the lie. I originally wrote the piece on May 5, 2008. Typical, you can't debate, or challenge the premise of the post so you lie.

Hey Greco - who/what are you? One of these frantic Obamabots running around cluttering political debate sites with idiot-level liberal boilerplate? :D

No, I'm one of the members of the intelligent side of America. The group that can proudly proclaim they never once voted for the worst president in the history of our nation, George W. Bush. The group that's too smart to vote for a candidate that voted in support of Bush's disasterous polices (the ones only 9% of Americans approve of) 90%of the time. Thanks for asking.

No, I'm one of the members of the intelligent side of America. The group that can proudly proclaim they never once voted for the worst president in the history of our nation, George W. Bush. The group that's too smart to vote for a candidate that voted in support of Bush's disasterous polices (the ones only 9% of Americans approve of) 90%of the time. Thanks for asking.

For all of your indignation that no one will challenge you on the "issues" you have done quite the job of ignoring the context of all of your "research." I pointed it out, you ignored it...

Continue to debate the issues now I suppose. :rolleyes:

You asked a question. I posted the answer to the question you asked. Then you whine about the answer. You didn't ask me about "policies". My original post was about McCain's massive volume of documented claims that were wrong. It wasn't about "policies". It was about his judgment, his specific statements that turned out to be false. That wasn't even opinion. It was direct quotes from McCain. The dates and sources were detailed and links provided.

You asked a question. I posted the answer to the question you asked. Then you whine about the answer. You didn't ask me about "policies". My original post was about McCain's massive volume of documented claims that were wrong. It wasn't about "policies". It was about his judgment, his specific statements that turned out to be false. That wasn't even opinion. It was direct quotes from McCain. The dates and sources were detailed and links provided.

Uhm... perhaps you should reread the thread. I asked the question, you got into some argument with libsmasher, and now claim that you answered my question....

I asked you about the context of your quotes, and pointed that immediately after the invasion we were greeted quite well. It was not until we failed in the occupation, by disbanding the army, among other things, that Iraq opinion really turned against us. You are taking comments that were true, we were greeted well, and then taking them in the context of today in an attempt to discredit them.

I also pointed our your 100 year quote was completely out of context.

But I am not to worried about it, I am sure you will reply with some comment like "stop whining" and proclaim your faux intellectual superiority. I do not have time for it. Thus this is my last reply to you.

Werbung:
Back