Michael Moore's Ignorance

TheFranklinParty

On CNBC yesterday afternoon, Michael Moore was interviewed by the lunchtime team at CNBC. Beside the fact that they were extremely soft on him, I found one question very telling. They asked him how he has invested the wealth gained from his successful movies. His reply was that he keeps it in a savings account and some U.S. Savings Bonds.

He said that he has never owned even one share of stock and he doesn't put his money in things he doesn't understand. So, my question is how can he do a movie judging Capitalism when he claims to have no first hand knowledge of the most basic component of capitalism? Public ownership is the cornerstone of the capitalist concept, yet he admits openly to having never experienced the risks or rewards. Just seems like he is coming from a point of view of ignorance, but what do I know.

Werbung:
On CNBC yesterday afternoon, Michael Moore was interviewed by the lunchtime team at CNBC. Beside the fact that they were extremely soft on him, I found one question very telling. They asked him how he has invested the wealth gained from his successful movies. His reply was that he keeps it in a savings account and some U.S. Savings Bonds.

He said that he has never owned even one share of stock and he doesn't put his money in things he doesn't understand. So, my question is how can he do a movie judging Capitalism when he claims to have no first hand knowledge of the most basic component of capitalism? Public ownership is the cornerstone of the capitalist concept, yet he admits openly to having never experienced the risks or rewards. Just seems like he is coming from a point of view of ignorance, but what do I know.

Feigned contrived ignorance - did he mention his financial planner? What? No? Gee, wonder why not... And what about his real estate holdings? Or his art collection? Didn't mention those either?

He is like everyone participating in this class-envy bash-a-thon. He can make millions on one of his stupid, lying docu-imaginaries. He can play the common man while living high on the hog in his NY penthouse. He can appeal to the emotionalism of his fellow man, all the while robbing them blind by selling them a story full of false details and pipe dreams. He is a scavenger and a pariah, and lauded as a hero of the masses.

So now, he's going to be the voice of the anti free market system. Are there greedy SOB's in our business world? Sure. But they pale by comparison to the unprecedented opportunity, bettered standard of living and even prosperity represented by the benefits provided to so many through capitalism.

I don't like throwing out the baby with the bath water. It will be no comfort to see the whining and misery when reality hits, and all these small-minded believers in his crap, and others of his ilk, discover what destroying industry really means. Their measure of wealth in their retirement funds, college accounts, investments, whatever will disappear like vapor. The crash of 2008 will be a fond memory.

...discover what destroying industry really means...

I've never heard Mr. Moore advocate destroying industry, in fact he's been railing against the destruction of the American auto industry for decades. Hasn't it been the people who outsourced the jobs who have destroyed our industry?

I've never heard Mr. Moore advocate destroying industry, in fact he's been railing against the destruction of the American auto industry for decades. Hasn't it been the people who outsourced the jobs who have destroyed our industry?
Labor Unions were one of the downfalls of the auto industry. along with the steel industry and the textile industry, and I'm sure, there are plenty of others.

People who go into business to make a profit will find labor cheaper somewhere else if it cuts into their profits.

That may sound mean, but it is the truth.

Unions became too greedy, and wanted more and more concessions. Poof- there goes the business.

Imagine what would happen to the remaining industry here, if cap and trade gets passed..

When I used the phrase "destroying industry" I intended it in the most broad, generic sense. The auto industry is a series of issues, some in poor management, others in over-reaching unions, still others of poor economic conditions. Loan rates, out-moded technology, status quo, and yes, a few ultra-greedy executives - ALL have combined to cause our once vibrant auto industry to stumble and (gulp!) fall. But another factor that has been a huge catalyst for outsourcing is the ever-increasing bite of the tax man.

Banking industry - largely under government control. Insurance industry - in their sites. Food industry - largely under control via FDA and other regulations and requirements. Medical industry - in their sites. Pharmaceuticals - scrambling to make deals with foreign companies to escape what they see coming, or deciding how far they will have to bow at the altar of big government. And the list goes on...

Outsourcing didn't just happen because somebody figured out that they could make bigger profits by moving jobs. There were reasons why profits were shrinking so markedly by U.S. based industry, and the howling from the greedy shareholders (that includes you, me, anyone who has held anything in investments more complex than a simple interest savings account) for increased profits in order to show gain on their investments. We all need to keep a mirror handy when it comes to determining who is responsible for outsourcing. And we also need to leave a large reservation spot for Uncle Sam, and his 50 little brothers...

Yes. Greed is something that 'everyone' has to take responsibility for.
But without some greed, there would be fewer accomplishments, as in our R&D in pharmaceuticals and technology.

It's just a fine line to walk.

I guess he's merely got a better-sense of Hi$tory, than you....which would suggest you're "coming from a point of view of ignorance".

:rolleyes:

Maybe he just doesn't appreciate the concept that CEOs have some Divine Right to excessive-compensation.​

"Against this backdrop, what you end up with is a whole lot of corrupt, elite self-dealing, which is the emerging through line of our benighted age. "The boards tend to be dominated by CEOs and other high corporate executives of other firms, who have an interest in keeping executive compensation high," wrote Judge Richard Posner on his blog last year. They are "abetted by compensation consultants who naturally recommend generous compensation packages to directors who are recipients of generous compensation and therefore believe that the CEOs of the companies on whose boards they sit should be paid top dollar."

Yeah....clowns, like you, are constantly pitching the idea of Public-ownership, right up to the day YOU ca$h-out...with other people's money....and, the game of Mu$ical Inve$tment$ starts all-over-again....

Yeah.....who'd want to miss-out on THAT??!!!!!

Feigned contrived ignorance - did he mention his financial planner? What? No? Gee, wonder why not... And what about his real estate holdings? Or his art collection? Didn't mention those either?
Feel FREE, to do so!!!

(I guess you were merely waiting for permission to show everyone your list o' Moore's holdings. Go ahead....you're on-the-clock....)

By producing a product that has made him wealthy, he is by definition a capitalist. You people who denounce him are just envious of his entrepreneurship. He is a prime example of how hard work pays off with its capitalistic rewards. What the hell you right wingers complaining about?

By producing a product that has made him wealthy, he is by definition a capitalist. You people who denounce him are just envious of his entrepreneurship. He is a prime example of how hard work pays off with its capitalistic rewards. What the hell you right wingers complaining about?

Point well made, hermit.

Labor Unions were one of the downfalls of the auto industry. along with the steel industry and the textile industry, and I'm sure, there are plenty of others.

People who go into business to make a profit will find labor cheaper somewhere else if it cuts into their profits.

That may sound mean, but it is the truth.

Unions became too greedy, and wanted more and more concessions. Poof- there goes the business.

Imagine what would happen to the remaining industry here, if cap and trade gets passed..

As a business owner I know that the balance between labor and business has to be maintained, blaming the auto workers for the poorly designed, gas hog, undesirable cars being produced by the American auto makers is fallacious.

Business has been so deregulated that they can go overseas and run sweatshops to make things cheap and reap huge profits--Nike shoes come to mind.

Noting that the richest 1% of the American public has more financial clout than the poorest 95% suggests that the laboring people may not be the problem.

When I used the phrase "destroying industry" I intended it in the most broad, generic sense. The auto industry is a series of issues, some in poor management, others in over-reaching unions, still others of poor economic conditions. Loan rates, out-moded technology, status quo, and yes, a few ultra-greedy executives - ALL have combined to cause our once vibrant auto industry to stumble and (gulp!) fall. But another factor that has been a huge catalyst for outsourcing is the ever-increasing bite of the tax man.

Banking industry - largely under government control. Insurance industry - in their sites. Food industry - largely under control via FDA and other regulations and requirements. Medical industry - in their sites. Pharmaceuticals - scrambling to make deals with foreign companies to escape what they see coming, or deciding how far they will have to bow at the altar of big government. And the list goes on...

Outsourcing didn't just happen because somebody figured out that they could make bigger profits by moving jobs. There were reasons why profits were shrinking so markedly by U.S. based industry, and the howling from the greedy shareholders (that includes you, me, anyone who has held anything in investments more complex than a simple interest savings account) for increased profits in order to show gain on their investments. We all need to keep a mirror handy when it comes to determining who is responsible for outsourcing. And we also need to leave a large reservation spot for Uncle Sam, and his 50 little brothers...

I can't fault anything you posted here and Mr. Moore is in outspoken agreement with you as well. While I don't agree with him all the time, I do think he askes pertinent questions. And besides that, who else ever had the imagination and courage to get together a chorus of people who lost their voice boxes to cancer and took them around to all the cigarette corporate offices to sing Christmas carols with their mechanical voice boxes.

So he's a successful capitalist, but at least he's using his money to ask pertinent questions and poke the other rich people in the eye. He's not just taking the money and running to gated community, he's right here in the thick of the fight.

The TRUE FACTS on what and who caused the DESTRUCTION of the AMERICAN AUTO INDUSTRY one only needs to look at the U.A.W.- C.I.O leftist union policies and greed . These idiots drove the cost of American labor so high due to their BENEFITS packages they priced themselves out of a job! LOL'LOL - Now the fascist obama saw an opportunity to build on the greed and stupidity of the workers and STEAL taxpayers money , buy G.M . and part of Chrysler with taxpayers dollars -then GIVE these UNION GOONS 50% of G.M. in payment for their actions in getting him elected.
NO RED BLOODED AMERICAN SHOULD PURCHASE A NEW CAR FROM G.M.--or CHRYSLER! BUY FORD ! or buy a Foreign Car manufactured in America .
Let obama and his UNION GOONS EAT their stolen TAXPAYERS MONEY and buy stock in CHINA!! G.M. & Chrysler MUST FAIL! I have driven & Owned a chrysler product for years BUT NEVER AGAIN! - I quit supporting G.M. years ago due to UNIONS GREED!

Werbung:
The TRUE FACTS on what and who caused the DESTRUCTION of the AMERICAN AUTO INDUSTRY one only needs to look at the U.A.W.- C.I.O leftist union policies and greed . These idiots drove the cost of American labor so high due to their BENEFITS packages they priced themselves out of a job! LOL'LOL - Now the fascist obama saw an opportunity to build on the greed and stupidity of the workers and STEAL taxpayers money , buy G.M . and part of Chrysler with taxpayers dollars -then GIVE these UNION GOONS 50% of G.M. in payment for their actions in getting him elected.
NO RED BLOODED AMERICAN SHOULD PURCHASE A NEW CAR FROM G.M.--or CHRYSLER! BUY FORD ! or buy a Foreign Car manufactured in America .
Let obama and his UNION GOONS EAT their stolen TAXPAYERS MONEY and buy stock in CHINA!! G.M. & Chrysler MUST FAIL! I have driven & Owned a chrysler product for years BUT NEVER AGAIN! - I quit supporting G.M. years ago due to UNIONS GREED!

Picking one group for all the blame is disingenuous and incorrect. I quit buying American cars because none of them met my requirements--not the cost. To this day our company cannot buy trucks like we want unless we buy aftermarket equipment (four wheel drive).

Back