Mitt Romney's Crazy Beliefs...

The state of Utah is 62% Mormon, it has a Republican governor, a Republican controlled state legislature, and both senators are Republican. It has not voted for a Democrat, for president, since 1964. In 2004, Republican George Bush got 71% of the vote. So, when saying that a liberal Mormon is an oxymoron, I guess I didn't think "wrong".

Are things really this black and white for you?

Let's examine things rationally. 62% of Utah's population is Mormon. 71% of Utah's population voted Republican. At most, 100% of the Mormons voted Republican; at least, 53% of the Mormons voted Republican. From the figures you provided it is impossible to tell which is true and could be anywhere in between.

So yeah, I guess you didn't think wrong - just incomplete.

Werbung:
Just so you know, my jaw hit the floor when I read this.

You will notice that I articulated exactly why I don't mind spending the money. It wasn't based on ideology but rather very specific and demonstrable reasons.

"Top 10 Extreme Beliefs Round Up

We've finished our list of Mitt Romney's top 10 most extreme beliefs. Read them and judge for yourself whether you want someone who believes these things to become President of the United States. Here is the countdown:

10. God resides near a planet called Kolob

How is that any more ridiculous then believing there is a place full of fire, sulphur and brimstone where people are barbecued for eternity?

9. We baptize dead people
So....Catholics and Protestants baptize live people. All in all a ridiculous practice but to each his own.

8. Urim and Thummim - The Seer Stones
Burning bushes and tablets full of commandments straight from God.

7. The Garden Eden was in Missouri
That the Garden of Eden even existed ... :rolleyes:

6. Mormons still practice polygamy - sort of
Well since the the LDS Church forbids it...and has for some time...I don't see your point here...

5. Temple Garments

Eating Jesus crackers and drinking Jesus wine

4. The Book of Mormon is Perfect
The Bible is perfect...:rolleyes:

3. God Discriminated (until 1978)
Revelation baby - God can change his mind. On the other hand there is this silly belief that the Bible is the unerring and literal word of God from 2000 years ago and that the additions/subtractions through the centuries are....just...well a further revealing of God's word....
:rolleyes:

2. We Can Become Gods!
We can become angels...

1. A Living Prophet
Dead prophets...

Are these Romney's real beliefs or are you just taking the most extreme and ridiculous examples of that religion you can find?

Lets look at some other ridiculous beliefs....say....Ron Paul who is a staunch Protestant...

10. Mary was a virgin and impregnanted by God (ya right...that's what they all say)

9. Jesus is the only way to salvation and if you don't believe you'll fry in hell for ever and you only get one chance to do this right.

8. Hell is a real place full of tormant, guys in little red suits, horns and pitchforks, and an overheated atmosphere.

7. Jesus Christ descends from Heaven, accompanied by the spirits of all the saints of God, both from the pre-incarnation period and after, who have passed on prior to this event, and then the bodily remains of these saints are transported from the Earth to meet the Lord and be rejoined with their corresponding spirits in the air. Immediately after this, all Christians alive on the earth are simultaneously transported to meet the Lord and those who have preceded them in the air. All are transformed into immortal bodies like Jesus' body. The current date set for this is September 2007.

6. God created everything and everyone in one brief spurt of activity and mankind walked alongside dinosaurs.

5. The following consitute abominations (you'll fry in hell baby): eating shellfish, homosexuality, cutting your beard the wrong way...

4. Demons can take over a person and be exorcised

3. The Christian prophet, Jesus died, was buried and came back to life.

2. The Bible is the inerrant Word of God the Holy Scriptures contain all revealed truth necessary for salvation.

1. A father would murder his son to prove he "loves" you

You will notice that I articulated exactly why I don't mind spending the money. It wasn't based on ideology but rather very specific and demonstrable reasons.

Oh, I know. The day you don't do that is the day my jaw goes through the floor.

I was still surprised though.

NASA is one of the few government agencies that I really don't mind spending my tax money on.

Newsflash - you don't have a choice as to how your tax money is spent. It will be taken from you by force if necessary, and spent as your government masters see fit.

Are these Romney's real beliefs or are you just taking the most extreme and ridiculous examples of that religion you can find?

You'll have to ask the guy who put it up on his website, dumbs**t.

Lets look at some other ridiculous beliefs...

Which Al Gore and Bill Clinton purport to believe as well...

The point is, Mormons take it to a whole new level. I have more sympathy for people who get sucked into these things via tradition rather than those who concoct an entirely new false belief system.

Newsflash - you don't have a choice as to how your tax money is spent.

Yeah, because he obviously doesn't have the right to go out and vote for whoever favors spending on the things he wants his money spent on.

Because he doesn't have the right to contribute more money to campaigns of other like-minded people across the country.

Because he doesn't have the right to engage in the hundreds of other activities that help influence public opinion and government policy.

It will be taken from you by force if necessary, and spent as your government masters see fit.

Those being the "government masters" that were voted on by the people, right?

The point is, Mormons take it to a whole new level. I have more sympathy for people who get sucked into these things via tradition rather than those who concoct an entirely new false belief system.

There are no Mormons alive today who "concoted an entirely new false belief system." Mormonism began when Joseph Smith founded the Church of Christ in 1830. Unless my math is off, that was 177 years ago.

I'd rather give my money to a fund to buy pot for aging hippies than to NASA. As for spin-offs, there are spin-offs to war also. Especially medical. I am still opposed to war if there is any way to avoid it. I don't think the world would have been a worse place without Tang.

You'll have to ask the guy who put it up on his website, dumbs**t.

Nice vocabulary there. I gather you can't really address the issue so you resort to insult. How brilliant. Maybe you should check your sources before posting them then?

What do you think traditional Christianity started as? A silly cult. It just has a 2000 year old start on the Mormons.

Ridiculous beliefs are all in the eyes of the believer and it's quite easy to pick the most ridiculous extremes of any belief system and use it to represent that system which is what you (or the author) is trying to do.

I find it quite ridiculous to believe that a deity impregnated a virgin and produced viable offspring or that a sane person spoke to a burning shrub and received a bunch of commandments from said deity or that a sober person turned water into wine or that people willingly choose to snack on what they believe to be human blood and flesh.

What do Gore and Clinton have to do with this?

Yes coyote exactly.

2000 years ago, I can just imagine it.

A group of wierdos who claim to be the followers of a dead Jew who said to be the son of God. They even have the balls to claim he came back from the dead. Well founded establishment and religion bat it off as another cult.

Nice vocabulary there.

I apologize for the vocabulary, but I had to resort to such vocabulary in order to describe you accurately.

I gather you can't really address the issue so you resort to insult.

It was not intended as an insult. I was merely describing you as accurately as I know how. I also addressed the "issue" you raised. But please ignore that so you can resort to an immature attack.

What do you think traditional Christianity started as? A silly cult.

Some cults are whackier than others. Just as some coyotes are dumber than others.

I apologize for the vocabulary, but I had to resort to such vocabulary in order to describe you accurately.

Didn't someone mention "maturity" in this thread?

It was not intended as an insult. I was merely describing you as accurately as I know how. I also addressed the "issue" you raised. But please ignore that so you can resort to an immature attack.

Oh, it was you. Ironies abound.

Yes, you did "address the issue." You admitted that you don't know. How big of you that is.

Some cults are whackier than others.

From whose point of view? Monotheism must have seemed pretty wacky to the polytheistic Romans - especially in the days when the original hippie himself was leading the Christian movement.

This has got to be the weakest defense of the old "Your religion is crazy because it's so different from our religion!" statement.

Just as some coyotes are dumber than others.

And some libertarians are dumber than some coyotes.

Werbung:

Some cults are whackier than others. Just as some coyotes are dumber than others.

Point out where, in my responses to you, I actually attacked *you*.

As to the issue, I most certainly have addressed it.

Are these Mitt Romney's espoused beliefs? (your answer - I don't know).

Yet, your thread is titled: Mitt Romney's Crazy Beliefs.

Second part of the issue, by implication...is this any crazier then other crazy beliefs held by elected officials? I don't think so. You have yet to address this. After all...the whole idea of a diety impregnating a virgin and producing viable offspring is....well....pretty whacky...

Back