1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Most humane form of death penalty?

Discussion in 'House of Debates' started by Ebaum, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Ebaum

Ebaum New Member

Most humane form of death penalty?

I'd have to go with lethal injection.

2. Enlightened One

Enlightened One New Member

Jacksonville, Florida/ Virgin Islands (US)
    Putting someone or something to death is humane? There are unavoidable deaths, and that's acceptable (in my opinion) But going with the topic I would have to say gas/lethal, because both shut down the nervous and resp system and you just drift off.

3. Walter

Walter Administrator Staff Member

What form of death penalty should we use then?

4. USMC the Almighty

USMC the Almighty New Member

Firing squad.

5. Nammy

Nammy Guest

I don't see how that's more humane than any other forms of death penalty.

6. USMC the Almighty

USMC the Almighty New Member

I guess it's not. But if I were going to be executed (knock on wood) -- I would take the firing squad. No question.

7. Enlightened One

I think having my heart blown out of my back is a little less than savory, But that and the guillotine is probably the fastest and most painless way to meet whatever place waits for you..

8. Nammy

Nammy Guest

I don't think that guillotine is the fastest and most painless...

9. Enlightened One

Why? The body's nerve receptors all go through the brain, and the body and head are seperated.. Feeling no pain and instant death, that's humane right? The actual method is ratherly barbaric, and messy, I suppose the overall method is not to humane, but it's 0-death in less than a second.

10. vyo476

vyo476 Active Member

It's also far easier to botch lethal injection. Just look at the Tookie Williams case. I'd go with the guillotine. No pain, no feeling at all actually, and the thing costs next to nothing to maintain.

That's if I was in favor of capital punishment, which I'm not.

11. Eternal

Eternal New Member

it is not clear whether the guillotine was as painless as it was intended to be. i would much rather go for some delusional method where you can't even tell you are dying.

if none really exists, then just to be laid down on some giant metal plate and be squished by another giant plate in a split second--the human pancake maker.

12. vyo476

vyo476 Active Member

So you're split between Batman and b-movie?

13. Freethinker

Freethinker New Member

How about natural causes From old age in prison?

14. vyo476

vyo476 Active Member

Old age in prison tends to mean you've been there for a while (unless you're one of those dangerous 80 year old murderers - watch out for them!). That's not a terribly pleasant experience - many would prefer to just get bumped off rather than spend forty years in prison with nothing but bars, three stone walls, three awful meals a day, and the strong possibly of getting ass-raped by one of the other inmates.

This whole thing has gotten me thinking - why, in the name of whatever deity you happen to believe in, do we bother talking about how "humane" these things are? No matter what option is selected for someone who has committed a serious crime, chances are it's going to be "inhumane." Toss a guy in prison and all that stuff listed above is going to happen to him and that's supposed to be more "humane" than just killing him?

I don't really understand all this talk about humane forms of execution, either. I mean, it's not like the guy whose getting killed is going to complain, right? And his relatives - well, what's their excuse? "His last moments shouldn't have been so painful." Think of it this way - he isn't in any pain now, right? "It was more painful for us to have to watch him suffer." Well then...don't watch! Executions should not be public affairs and they certainly shouldn't be attended by the family of whoever is getting killed. I mean, what do you say to your relatives in that position? "Come on, Johnny, time to go watch Daddy's life end! Don't forget to tie your shoes!" You want inhumane? Inhumane is allowing the people closest to the convict to watch his/her death. Let him see his family before you kill him, sure, but don't let them watch. Can you say "psychological trauma"?

15. Dave

Dave New Member

I think the type of sentence imposed should fit the crime. The death penalty should only be as humane as it was for the victims of the person sentenced.