Multilingual Britain

Iftikhar

Multilingual Britain
The miracle of human variety is in danger of disappearing, if all of us speak alike, dress alike, eat the same food, read the same fiction and enjoy the same music. It would be a great loss to our colourful planet. Public sector needs a multilingual work force. Teachers and police officers can help with race relations in the classroom and in the community. Public sector is seeking multilingual recruits to serve multicultural Britain. The ability to speak languages from Arabic to Urdu is considered to be an asset. Linguistic skills, in addition to the usual entry criteria, will boost the number of recruits in teaching, police, medicine, nursing and the civil service. Bilingual teachers, police officers, doctors and nurses are in a better position to serve the bilingual Muslim community. The language system has been used successfully in the United States. Mary Doherty at TTA, points out those bilingual teachers can be particularly welcome in state schools for bilingual pupils. Various studies show that bilingualism increases overall intelligence. Monolingualism leads to isolationist and inward thinking.

Exposure to different languages and cultures can increase tolerance. Language learning in childhood lays the foundations for developing real fluency in that language. Every child should have the opportunity to study a foreign language and develop their interest in the culture of other nations. Languages can be seen as an important way of putting more fun into primary learning and of broadening the children experience. Learning a second language boosts your intellectual powers by physically increasing the number of nerve cells in the language centres of the brain. A study at University College London shows that the brains of bilingual people are structurally enhanced compared to the brains of people who can only speak one language. The effect is even more marked in people who learnt a second language before they were five. Speaking a second language is like having access to another world. No other subject expands mental horizons in the same way. In an ordinary inner city school in England, nearly 100 languages are spoken, yet still essentially this is still a monolingual nation. London is the most multicultural city in the world with over 300 languages spoken everyday.

Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual teachers as role models during their developmental periods. All state schools where Muslim pupils are the majority should be designated as Muslim community schools. They are in a better position to provide balanced education by teaching the National Curriculum along with Arabic, Islamic studies, Urdu and other community languages. An Islamic atmosphere will help to develop Islamic Identity crucial for mental, emotional and personality development.
Iftikhar Ahmad

Werbung:
Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual teachers as role models during their developmental periods. All state schools where Muslim pupils are the majority should be designated as Muslim community schools. They are in a better position to provide balanced education by teaching the National Curriculum along with Arabic, Islamic studies, Urdu and other community languages. An Islamic atmosphere will help to develop Islamic Identity crucial for mental, emotional and personality development.
Iftikhar Ahmad

I'm sorry but shouldn't we really be fixing our own education system first?

I agree with very little of your post, the little being that children in schools need to be allowed to experience and learn about
different cultures to build tolerance from an early age, if you allow a child to endeavour in this they will truely appreciate
other countries and their cultures rather than misunderstand them which by human nature leads to fear and intolerance.
The rest of what you've said unfortunately seems to me like a dreamed up multi-cultural society that just wouldn't work in the real world, yet anyway.

Salaam

I am concerned with the education of bilingual Muslim children. I am not interested in integration or segration.

Research has shown that bilingualism is beneficial for children’s development and their future. Children exposed to different languages become more aware of different cultures, other people and other points of view. But they also tend to be better than monolinguals at 'multitasking' and focusing attention, they often are more precocious readers, and generally find it easier to learn other languages. Bilingualism gives children much more than two languages!

Muslim community is living in Britain and not in a Muslim country. It is our duty to see what is best for our children.

Education is the most effective means for tackling poverty,increasing wealth, promoting social mobility and equiping the country,s economy. Yet stilllast year, more than half the children leaving comprehensive failed to get the basic requirement of five decent GCSE passes. Every year almost a third of a million pupils are suspended from schools for bad behaviour. The labour and consecutive Governments have continued to ignore true education in favour of examination results. You learn a load of crap. True educational system focuses on education, and each and every child,s ability and requirement rather than examination. Learning another language is good for development and it broadens the mind. English is the language of business world, a person will make a good impression if he can speak another language. There is a common perceptin in Europe and through out the world that the English are just too lazy to learn another language. Muslim children need to learn standard English, Arabic, Urdu and other community languages but British schooling discourage them to even speak and learn any language except English in local accents.According to a research report, an "endemic culture of institutional racism is barring BME teachers from headship jobs. Britain is hurtling down the world league tables, even at a time when schools spending has doubled.
Iftikhar Ahmad
http://www.londonschoolofislamics.org.uk

Salaam

I am concerned with the education of bilingual Muslim children. I am not interested in integration or segration.

Research has shown that bilingualism is beneficial for children’s development and their future. Children exposed to different languages become more aware of different cultures, other people and other points of view. But they also tend to be better than monolinguals at 'multitasking' and focusing attention, they often are more precocious readers, and generally find it easier to learn other languages. Bilingualism gives children much more than two languages!

Muslim community is living in Britain and not in a Muslim country. It is our duty to see what is best for our children.

Education is the most effective means for tackling poverty,increasing wealth, promoting social mobility and equiping the country,s economy. Yet stilllast year, more than half the children leaving comprehensive failed to get the basic requirement of five decent GCSE passes. Every year almost a third of a million pupils are suspended from schools for bad behaviour. The labour and consecutive Governments have continued to ignore true education in favour of examination results. You learn a load of crap. True educational system focuses on education, and each and every child,s ability and requirement rather than examination. Learning another language is good for development and it broadens the mind. English is the language of business world, a person will make a good impression if he can speak another language. There is a common perceptin in Europe and through out the world that the English are just too lazy to learn another language. Muslim children need to learn standard English, Arabic, Urdu and other community languages but British schooling discourage them to even speak and learn any language except English in local accents.According to a research report, an "endemic culture of institutional racism is barring BME teachers from headship jobs. Britain is hurtling down the world league tables, even at a time when schools spending has doubled.
Iftikhar Ahmad
http://www.londonschoolofislamics.org.uk
Perhaps you should return to your original home! You will have nothing to complain about then.

There is so much ignorance related to immigration in this country. People hate on immigrants only because this rubbish Government is hiding facts from people. Case in point, I pay taxes. I did my Masters here and paid 3 times the fees as an Asian student. I do not claim benefits, wait let me rephrase that I CAN'T ANY CLAIM BENEFITS, not for another year when I become eligible to become a British citizen. Every time I renew my visa, I have to pay upto £1300 in applications fees. Going by these numbers, I have actually done a lot more for this country than any of the benefit scrounging lot or EU immigrants. GB should really be worried about EU immigration because these immigrants do claim benefits and they work for low wages. 75% of immigrants fall in this category but instead this Government is busy clamping down on good immigration, ie immigration that contributes to the economy. David Cameron is a bigger fool than Tony Blair.

Britain destroyed so many cultures for centuries under colonialism, yet did not care. Why should an immigrant care about your culture, when you have always been so willing to impose yours throughout history (and up to today). English in spain not speaking a word of spanish ring a bell???

Most immigrants have jobs. Most immigrants pay tax. Most immigrants contribute to public services. Most immigrants use and pay for public transport. Most immigrants buy clothes and go shopping in stores, thus providing jobs. Its no coincidence that under tony blair IMMIGRATION GREW and UNEMPLOYMENT was at RECORD LOWS. Face it, Britain, like all other western powers cannot function without immigration. IMMIGRATION CREATES JOBS AND ALLOWS A COUNTRY TO PROSPER.

There is so much ignorance related to immigration in this country. People hate on immigrants only because this rubbish Government is hiding facts from people. Case in point, I pay taxes. I did my Masters here and paid 3 times the fees as an Asian student. I do not claim benefits, wait let me rephrase that I CAN'T ANY CLAIM BENEFITS, not for another year when I become eligible to become a British citizen. Every time I renew my visa, I have to pay upto £1300 in applications fees. Going by these numbers, I have actually done a lot more for this country than any of the benefit scrounging lot or EU immigrants. GB should really be worried about EU immigration because these immigrants do claim benefits and they work for low wages. 75% of immigrants fall in this category but instead this Government is busy clamping down on good immigration, ie immigration that contributes to the economy. David Cameron is a bigger fool than Tony Blair.

Britain destroyed so many cultures for centuries under colonialism, yet did not care. Why should an immigrant care about your culture, when you have always been so willing to impose yours throughout history (and up to today). English in spain not speaking a word of spanish ring a bell???

Most immigrants have jobs. Most immigrants pay tax. Most immigrants contribute to public services. Most immigrants use and pay for public transport. Most immigrants buy clothes and go shopping in stores, thus providing jobs. Its no coincidence that under tony blair IMMIGRATION GREW and UNEMPLOYMENT was at RECORD LOWS. Face it, Britain, like all other western powers cannot function without immigration. IMMIGRATION CREATES JOBS AND ALLOWS A COUNTRY TO PROSPER.
Please, accept my apology. I spoke without knowledge, and feel ashamed. Be very proud of all
that you have accomplished! I am proud for you. I think that I spoke mostly about the Mexicans
who have taken over so many parts of America. They are mostly on welfare, and brings tons of
drugs into the country. Yes, I am bitter about that, and wish it was different. Please, forgive me. I
am proud of you!
Mary Beth (KeiMary)

Werbung:
Back