National symbols

Libsmasher

Specifically, I want to talk about national anthems and flags.

The tricolor flags are all stupid - except for the french flag - I don't know why. The US flag is striking and unique - the same for the UK flag. The star spangled banner music came from an english drinking song, a fact I find amusing. Also it is the only anthem I know of that is in 3/4 time. A capella renditions don't work - I wish to hell they'd stop that. It is spectacular when played correctly by a brass band, or orchestra.

The UK anthem is elegant and understated. Same with the japanese anthem - the more I hear that one, the more I'm fascinated with it. Likewise, the japanese flag is aesthetically simple and effective. The canadian flag is silly - a maple leaf? As if the US flag had a hamburger in the middle. But the canadian anthem is probably the most beautiful of any.

The PRC flag is offensive - the blood red of revolution. Likewise, their anthem is strident and blaring, it sounds silly. La Marseillaise is great, but it's lyrics are weird. Deutschland Uber Alles is a terrific melody, and the song predates its use as an anthem, it was "Deutsche Lied" and written by Hayden or somebody.

The mexican flag is pretty cool, until you hear the story behind the eagle and snake. the mexican anthem is good, but too long. The brazilian flag is pretty cool.

Werbung:
yeah but it was so funny

I work for a japanese school and now you have me wondering about the anthem, Come September I will ask them to play it for me

Here it is - it's actually a tribute to the emperor. Notice how it ends with out "finality" - as if to imply endless continuity:

Kimi ga Yo ("May your reign last forever")

May your reign
Continue for a thousand, eight thousand generations,
Until the pebbles
Grow into boulders
Lush with moss

Scotsman - I noted that Blair made all these efforts - more scottish autonomy, returning the Stone of Scone. Are you in favor of Scottish independence?

Only think I like about the US one is that its a big Rip on how we kicked the British ass. The song itself I think sucks for most due to the range needed to sing it well.

Uh, that would be wrong - it only refers to the successful defense of Fort McHenry outside Baltimore - the US certainly didn't "kick the Brish ass" in that engagement, and previous to that, the Brits had burned Washinton DC, after the US army, such as it was, prudently retreated.

Here it is - it's actually a tribute to the emperor. Notice how it ends with out "finality" - as if to imply endless continuity:

Kimi ga Yo ("May your reign last forever")

May your reign
Continue for a thousand, eight thousand generations,
Until the pebbles
Grow into boulders
Lush with moss

Wow that was really pretty, very very pretty

I never thought to look up stuff like this, thank you!

Scotsman - I noted that Blair made all these efforts - more scottish autonomy, returning the Stone of Scone. Are you in favor of Scottish independence?

Pretty much! Although I would rather it not on the basis of the way the Scottish National Party is doing at the moment!

Oh and Masher..... please don't mention Blair again.......ever :eek:

Pretty much! Although I would rather it not on the basis of the way the Scottish National Party is doing at the moment!

Oh and Masher..... please don't mention Blair again.......ever :eek:

One further comment - there seems to be all these disintegrating forces at the same time the EU is coming on. Czech an Slovakia split. Yugoslavia split and split again. There are the basques in spain and the flemish and walloons in Belgium. I remember several years ago there was a separatist movement in northern italy. Now the scots and the UK. Where will it end? Europe as a bunch of little principalities?

Its an interesting point you raise mate! I can only speak for myself but for me the problem is our current crop of f**kwit politicians having multiple orgasms about the European Union and political and social integration. They are so intent upon giving up the soverignty of Parliament that a lot of people are becoming distrusful of politicians be they Labour Party or Conservative - personally I find politicians a waste of rations and would be better ruled by a horse's butt that a politician.

Basically from the Union of the Crowns I ceased to be Scots and became British which wasn't so bad at least we all spoke roughly the same language (except the those from London or "thems frum darn saarf"!) Trouble is Masher, our Government has been infiltrated by the friggin Frogs and Krauts who, lets face it have this European Union sewn up between them, so...... now I am no longer British I am a European........ so.......... F**K em! I think I'll quite happily go back to being Scots.

High in the misty Highlands,
Out by the purple islands,
Brave are the hearts that beat
Beneath Scottish skies.
Wild are the winds to meet you,
Staunch are the friends that greet you,
Kind as the love that shines
from fair maidens' eyes.

Alba an Aigh!

Werbung:
Uh, that would be wrong - it only refers to the successful defense of Fort McHenry outside Baltimore - the US certainly didn't "kick the Brish ass" in that engagement, and previous to that, the Brits had burned Washinton DC, after the US army, such as it was, prudently retreated.

yea but the point is that its a anti brit and we stood up against them and won.
And yes the war of 1812 realy was a war of us getting our buts kicked...only battle we won was 2 weeks after the war was over already...New Orleans...though the war was over a issue that was resulved before the war started , but new travled so slow in those days.....

Cant you just let me have some blind ignorance of facts and yell go US? come on , how often do I do that...just let me have this one...and yes I know the facts....I was choosing to use the americanized version of history there....

Back