"Native Americans"??

Well to some extent they have. For instance the polar region inhabitants from Alaska, Canada and Greenland a long time ago decided at some conference that the term they would prefer to be called in Inuit, instead of Eskimo. It still is used to some extent, but it is generally not offensive when used. In regards to the use of the term Native American. It is the most accurate term that is encompassing enough and easy to use for the general poppulation.
Native American in its proper use is someone descending or a part of an aboriginal group in North or South America.

You are just ignoring the reasons for my objection to the phrase.

Werbung:
Yes, I read it. The point is that none of the tribes (that I'm aware of) have even thought about, nor care enough about, the issue to worry about it. In fact, since the Americas were named such (by Amerigo Vespucci in about 1500) long before this land we now call "America" was inhabited by Europeans, everyone I know thinks that "native American" works just fine since it establishes the fact that we were here first.

You, too, are just ignoring my objections. If everyone wants to have debates only with themselves, I guess that's that.

Libsmasher, your hypocrisy is shining through. You spend so much time attacking political correctness, but its clear you do want political correctness, as long as it fits your agenda and not someone elses.

I have NO clue what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

You, too, are just ignoring my objections. If everyone wants to have debates only with themselves, I guess that's that.

WHAT "objections"? Are you "Native American"? I am, and Bunz is, and we don't have a problem with it, so what is the source of your "objections"?

Go back and read the thread - I'm out of the business of repeating things for slow learners. :rolleyes:

And I'm tired of trying to explain things to obstinate obsequious asshats. If you're not Native American, it's none of your damned business, so let it go. You're starting to sound like one of those kids that rides the short bus and drools all over himself.:mad:

And I'm tired of trying to explain things to obstinate obsequious asshats. If you're not Native American, it's none of your damned business, so let it go. You're starting to sound like one of those kids that rides the short bus and drools all over himself.:mad:

Whaaaaaat???? :confused:

It IS my business that the news media and government officials use a phrase invented by the Pee See Asshole Brigade to confer some super-legitimacy on american indians. This country has only ONE super-citizen group - blacks - and we don't need another one.

Whaaaaaat???? :confused:

It IS my business that the news media and government officials use a phrase invented by the Pee See Asshole Brigade to confer some super-legitimacy on american indians. This country has only ONE super-citizen group - blacks - and we don't need another one.

Here's another cluepon for you buddy, if ANY group of people DESERVES "super-legitimacy" it IS Native Americans. We were here before ANY European or African every even knew what the ground THEY walked on was called. And BTW, the PCAB aren't the ones that came up with the term "Native American", it was originally used by ANTHROPOLOGISTS as early as 1918 (LONG before your PCAB came into existence) to be a more accurate description for ALL of the various tribes that are native to what is now America in preference to the term "Indian" which is a misnomer if there ever was one.

Gentleman,
I fully appreciate a heated debate, lets please keep this a bit more polite and use a bit less profanity. I think this thread worthy of continued discussion, I dont want it to spiral into something it doesnt need to be. Thanks, I do appreciate it, as does everyone else:)

Here's another cluepon for you buddy, if ANY group of people DESERVES "super-legitimacy" it IS Native Americans. We were here before ANY European or African every even knew what the ground THEY walked on was called. And BTW, the PCAB aren't the ones that came up with the term "Native American", it was originally used by ANTHROPOLOGISTS as early as 1918 (LONG before your PCAB came into existence) to be a more accurate description for ALL of the various tribes that are native to what is now America in preference to the term "Indian" which is a misnomer if there ever was one.

As per Bunz' request, I will keep this polite. :D

My dear sir:

You have vindicated my allegation as to the purpose of the "native american" usage with your, uh......uh......excited statements. :) I have ALREADY said "indian" was a misnomer - I only use it in the absence of any lexically and historically proper word, hopefully one derived from an american indian language. You provide no link for your claim as to the origin of the malapropism. As for your claim that american indians "deserve" super-legitimacy - that is manifestly ridiculous. This country was built by white men. (When the first whites came here, american indians hadn't even discovered the wheel, something in use by whites since the 4th millenium BC. :D )

Ultimately, Libsmasher, usage of the term Native American boils down to one of convenience and correctness. It is correct in the sense that the long used term was simply incorrect. Indians are the billion or so people who live in Asia.
The humans who lived on what are now known as the American continents before the arrival of European settlers are not Indians in any fashion. It was an incorrect label from the begining and causes a fair amount of confusion among the actual Indians.
Plus I think everyone will agree that it is necessary to have a term that describes all people of that ethnic group, despite whatever regional tribe or band they belong to specifically.
Seeing as other appropriate names, like aboriginal and indigenous, were taken elsewhere, and to keep it simple for us Rez Indians to try and learn in between foodstamp spam sandwiches and universal healthcare checkups they called us Natives.
Makes sense right? :rolleyes:

As per Bunz' request, I will keep this polite. :D
Seriously, I dont mean to nitpick or be a hard@ss:D
I just saw a potential where things were going down that slippery slope.
Its an important issue and worthy of discussion Id like to keep it generally civil.

I only use it in the absence of any lexically and historically proper word, hopefully one derived from an american indian language.
There are about a thousand different native languages, most of them dead, or impractical to write using english characters. Most of the still used languages, the word for people, is usually the name of the tribe they belong.

This country was built by white men.
What does this have to do with anything?
When the first whites came here, american indians hadn't even discovered the wheel, something in use by whites since the 4th millenium BC. :D )
Looks like they made it reasonably well without the wheel.
In the meantime, whites didnt have sunglasses, kayaks, hooded sweatshirts, not known to liberal arts college students until the late 20th century, all thanks to the Native American. Thousands of years whites went without them. :D
Ill also point out that it has been the crops cultivated originally by the Natives that the Euros didnt have, which has made America what it is.

Werbung:
Ultimately, Libsmasher, usage of the term Native American boils down to one of convenience and correctness. It is correct in the sense that the long used term was simply incorrect.

No, it is a new INCORRECT term replacing an old INCORRECT term.

Indians are the billion or so people who live in Asia.

Who'da thunk it.

The humans who lived on what are now known as the American continents before the arrival of European settlers are not Indians in any fashion. It was an incorrect label from the begining and causes a fair amount of confusion among the actual Indians.

I've already dealt with the word "indian". You're beating a dead horse.

Plus I think everyone will agree that it is necessary to have a term that describes all people of that ethnic group, despite whatever regional tribe or band they belong to specifically.

Yes, EXACTLY my point. Such a term should have authenticity, ie, be directly derived from the actual culture it identifies. Eg, a culture that preceded the invention of the very word "America" by 10,000 years shouldn't be identified by America or any of it's grammatical forms. It should also be free of any of the political manipulation that infects PCisms.

Seeing as other appropriate names, like aboriginal and indigenous, were taken elsewhere, and to keep it simple for us Rez Indians to try and learn in between foodstamp spam sandwiches and universal healthcare checkups they called us Natives.
Makes sense right? :rolleyes:

Instead of being degraded by designations for you thought up by other people, all of which contain varying degrees of offensiveness, why don't YOU think up such a word and announce it? YOU should be making the argument that I am.

Back