New York woman visited by police after researching pressure cookers online

Right after 9/11 I was working in a building that had a group of Muslims in a computer business. They kept to themselves and all dressed in Muslim garb. Even their women wore the full burka with the bee hive face covering.

They used to have meetings every Wed. night and would close up their business and pull down the shades.

Yup, they were visited by the FEDs. Nothing ever came of it, they are still there as far as I know.

Werbung:
My understanding of the context of that it was a comment made specifically to the Governor of Pennsylvania, basically saying don't give up your essential liberty (ie this vote on a taxing issue) to trade off for security (from the powerful Penn family) -- obviously in a broader context of issues taking place around these particular votes. "Essential Liberty" basically meaning the right of self-governance.
The quote is attributed to Benjamin Franklin. There is a lot of thought saying it was not as well. The quote was common Revolutionary thought during that time and is used in many context by many different people.

The quote originally appears in a book published anonymously as propaganda in London in 1759 while Franklin was over there petitioning the King to get the heirs of Wm Penn to give the colonists money to buy guns for the Indians so they could defend them against the Indians that the French were arming.

Research shows that Franklin shipped 500 copies of this book to Philadelphia to be sold at the Assembly. However, the book was held until 22 years after Franklin's death. The book resurfaced in a new edition in 1812 and it was at that time the quote was attributed to Franklin.

Regardless of the origin of this quote or whether Franklin was the original author of it, again, it was commonly used back during revolutionary times and the meaning of it was clear and remains the same today.

The quote absolutely fits the context of what is happening in America today and what was going on back during the times of Revolution.

Back