NHS Horror Story

Is that all you have to answer to my post #26???

......well yeah Mate! The points you raised are all well and good although essentially have no real bearing on the problems with the NHS which is what I though we were nattering about...

The problems with the NHS are more along the lines of hugh fumbling inept Government departments attempting to run a modern medical service...which based on the fact that our present crop of politicians and ministers could'nt organise a piss-up in brewery is rather worrying.

Our problem is (inter-alia) that vast gobs of money which COULD go to primary care is being absorbed by layer after layer of worthless and unneccessary administration and management before it even gets to the Regional Health Authorities for distribution to the Hospital administration.

Werbung:
......well yeah Mate! The points you raised are all well and good although essentially have no real bearing on the problems with the NHS which is what I though we were nattering about...

The problems with the NHS are more along the lines of hugh fumbling inept Government departments attempting to run a modern medical service...which based on the fact that our present crop of politicians and ministers could'nt organise a piss-up in brewery is rather worrying.

Our problem is (inter-alia) that vast gobs of money which COULD go to primary care is being absorbed by layer after layer of worthless and unneccessary administration and management before it even gets to the Regional Health Authorities for distribution to the Hospital administration.

Just going along with your viewpoint for the moment - isn't that true of anything the government tries to run for which it has no competence?

Oh, Canada

Why Canadians Love Their Health Care and Their Country

OPINION by M. DAVID LOW, M.D.

Most policy analysts are only comfortable with the usual and tangible metrics of health-care access, cost and quality.

The real answer might come as a surprise to those analysts.

Although it is accessible, cost-effective, and provides good quality care, Canadians love their health-care system for what they think it represents about them and their basic values.

Those values are remarkably consistent across the country -- when the issue is health care, Canada has no "red" or "blue" states.

A full 90 percent of Canadians believe that no one should be denied health care simply because they don't have money.

Fairness and equity are values that most Canadians like to think their country stands for. Because they see and hear so much about the real and imagined horrors perpetrated by the U.S. health-care nonsystem, Canadians like their system even more by comparison.

I do think Canadians would be less fervent about their system if health-care delivery in the United States didn't look so awful by comparison.

But, put bluntly, democratic countries tend to get the health-care systems they deserve, based on history, culture and national values.

Most of the debates about health-care reform in the United States that I have seen and heard over the last 30 years have focused on details of how care is paid for, rather than on the fundamental question of what values should drive the provision of care.

So, is money the only value driving the American health-care system? If so, it is more than a bit misguided.

If we truly want to make the system better, as Americans we should find an answer to the hard questions.

What does the present way of apportioning health care in our country say about us and our values? What would we want it to say?

Werbung:
Back