No cellphones, no texting by drivers, US urges

steveox

WASHINGTON (AP) — Texting, emailing or chatting on a cellphone while driving is simply too dangerous to be allowed, federal safety investigators declared Tuesday, urging all states to impose total bans except for emergencies.
Inspired by recent deadly crashes — including one in which a teenager sent or received 11 text messages in 11 minutes before an accident — the recommendation would apply even to hands-free devices, a much stricter rule than any current state law.
The unanimous recommendation by the five-member National Transportation Safety Board would make an exception for devices deemed to aid driver safety such as GPS navigation systems.
A group representing state highway safety offices called the recommendation "a game-changer."
"States aren't ready to support a total ban yet, but this may start the discussion," Jonathan Adkins, a spokesman for the Governors Highway Safety Association, said.
NTSB chairman Deborah Hersman acknowledged the recommendation would be unpopular with many people and that complying would involve changing what has become ingrained behavior for many Americans.

http://news.yahoo.com/no-cellphones-no-texting-drivers-us-urges-212935010.html

Why dont the ACLU challenge this to the U.S Supreme Court? A violation under the 1st admendment.

Werbung:
I am not sure how this would be a violation of the 1st Amendment. However, something that does concern me about this proposal for all states to ban all cell phones and like devices is the simple question ... how will this be enforced. In Michigan, police already have a device they use in all routine traffic stops that downloads all the data off your cell phone, including pictures, video, gps, even deleted data and this device works on over 3000 models of phones.

Now, obviously this is a violation of the 4th Amendment and the ACLU is suing the state of Michigan over this device. But, as we all know, under the current regime, following the Constitution is extremely unpopular. I put forth the idea that this proposal from the NTSB is the first step in a deliberate attempt to circumvent the 4th Amendment to the US Constitution, not that this Amendment is not already being violated by the illegal searches from the TSA agent. Fast and Furious is another example of a made up crisis by this administration, aimed at circumventing the Constitution, with the exception that it was aimed at the 2nd Amendment, not the 4th. The United States Constitution is under attack by this administration on multiple fronts and this proposal from the NTSB is just the beginning of the latest example.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp

I am not sure how this would be a violation of the 1st Amendment. However, something that does concern me about this proposal for all states to ban all cell phones and like devices is the simple question ... how will this be enforced. In Michigan, police already have a device they use in all routine traffic stops that downloads all the data off your cell phone, including pictures, video, gps, even deleted data and this device works on over 3000 models of phones.

Now, obviously this is a violation of the 4th Amendment and the ACLU is suing the state of Michigan over this device. But, as we all know, under the current regime, following the Constitution is extremely unpopular. I put forth the idea that this proposal from the NTSB is the first step in a deliberate attempt to circumvent the 4th Amendment to the US Constitution, not that this Amendment is not already being violated by the illegal searches from the TSA agent. Fast and Furious is another example of a made up crisis by this administration, aimed at circumventing the Constitution, with the exception that it was aimed at the 2nd Amendment, not the 4th. The United States Constitution is under attack by this administration on multiple fronts and this proposal from the NTSB is just the beginning of the latest example.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp

I did not know that gun running and people getting killed while distracted driving where "made up"

Anyone with two functioning neurons knows that texting and chatting on the phone while driving is dangerous. If we need a law to tell people what they should already know, then so be it, but how is such a law to be enforced?

What about the idiot eating his lunch, shaving, putting on make up, or reading the newspaper while marginally in control of two tons of steel hurtling down the highway? Are we to list all of the stupid things people do?

Now, if we could somehow pass a law requiring the use of common sense while behind the wheel, and enforce that, then the roads would be a lot safer.

Anyone with two functioning neurons knows that texting and chatting on the phone while driving is dangerous. If we need a law to tell people what they should already know, then so be it, but how is such a law to be enforced?

My point exactly. How can this law be enforced without forfeiting your freedoms and liberties? I am sure the Obama Regime is aware of this. This is why you see the NTSB proposing this ban for all cell phones and all electronic devices for all the states. This is another attack on the Constitution, this time the 4th Amendment, which is already under attack by the TSA illegal searches.

They will take your liberties and freedom a little at a time, always for a good cause and one we will have many good causes but, no freedoms and liberties!

What about the idiot eating his lunch, shaving, putting on make up, or reading the newspaper while marginally in control of two tons of steel hurtling down the highway? Are we to list all of the stupid things people do?

Now, if we could somehow pass a law requiring the use of common sense while behind the wheel, and enforce that, then the roads would be a lot safer.

actually you can be pulled over for eating while driving....there are laws against Distracted Driving that include such things...

My point exactly. How can this law be enforced without forfeiting your freedoms and liberties? I am sure the Obama Regime is aware of this. This is why you see the NTSB proposing this ban for all cell phones and all electronic devices for all the states. This is another attack on the Constitution, this time the 4th Amendment, which is already under attack by the TSA illegal searches.

They will take your liberties and freedom a little at a time, always for a good cause and one we will have many good causes but, no freedoms and liberties!

last I checked you have no constitutional right to do what ever you want while driving...you know like drinking?

But when some idiot drives into your car, kills a loved one, while trying to text on there phone...feel free to be happy he had the right to do that.

last I checked you have no constitutional right to do what ever you want while driving...you know like drinking?

But when some idiot drives into your car, kills a loved one, while trying to text on there phone...feel free to be happy he had the right to do that.

Is this really that hard of a concept for you or are you trying to be funny? In Michigan the police have a device they use on routine traffic stops to download all the data from your cell phone to see if you have been talking/texting or whatever. It takes about 90 seconds and works on over 3000 phone models. It downloads all your photos, videos, contacts, transactions, gps locations, etc. If you don't see a problem with the 4th Amendment in this situation then you and I can just agree to disagree on this topic.

Now you have a proposal from a federal agency to encourage all states to ban all cell phone and electronic device usage while driving. Which I will agree sounds like a good idea. However, how will they enforce it? The same way they are illegally enforcing it in Michigan. How much freedom and liberties are you willing to forfeit to gain a false sense of safety when your driving?

Banning even hands-free devices is stupid. They might as well ban having a passenger, since that could be a distraction too....

Banning even hands-free devices is stupid. They might as well ban having a passenger, since that could be a distraction too....

I agree ... that is common sense. So, with that in mind .... one would have to wonder what the real motivation would be behind banning these devices. I tend to believe it has nothing to do with the devices or the distraction, but the manner of enforcement that will follow these banning s.

Werbung:
You mean some new way for police to invade our privacy and interfere into our personal lives? I wouldn't doubt it.

Back