No more energy speculation?

PLC1

Staff member
No more $4.50 a gallon gasoline due to speculation in the petroleum market? Could it be? Could it work?

U.S. Considers Curbs on Speculative Trading of Oil

WASHINGTON — Reacting to the violent swings in oil prices in recent months, federal regulators announced on Tuesday that they were considering new restrictions on “speculative” traders in markets for oil, natural gas and other energy products.

Werbung:
Mr. Gensler is in some ways a surprising person to lead the charge for tougher regulation. A former investment banker and a high-ranking Treasury official during the Clinton administration, he was among those who defeated efforts in the late 1990s to regulate financial derivatives, an effort led by one of Mr. Gensler’s predecessors at the futures trading commission, Brooksley E. Born.

The guy in charge was in the forefront of stopping the regulation of Credit Default Swaps (financial derivitives)...

I agree with the Democrats who voted against him, this guy smells fishy.

If that keeps gas prices down then I am all for it.

The Dems will make sure that with Cap & Trade or through taxation that gas gets back up to 4$ a gallon... Otherwise who will buy the vehicles they are producing?
picture.php
picture.php

I was thinking about that Gen. Lower gas prices won’t help sell tiny cars. People don’t want tiny cars, but they will buy them if gas is 4 or 5 dollars a gallon. So something will have to make the gas go higher, I am sure obama would rather a tax than speculators; at least he gets the money if it’s taxed high. Perhaps they are stopping the speculating so the gas wont go to 4 dollars a gallon because then the people would really gripe if there was a gas tax increase.

The Dems will make sure that with Cap & Trade or through taxation that gas gets back up to 4$ a gallon... Otherwise who will buy the vehicles they are producing?
picture.php
picture.php

No one in their right mind will buy cars designed by the government, whether they are small and fuel efficient or not. The cars that GM produced back when the G stood for general were bad enough.

The best we can hope for is that Obama means what he says when he says that the government isn't going to be running GM.

No more $4.50 a gallon gasoline due to speculation in the petroleum market? Could it be? Could it work?

U.S. Considers Curbs on Speculative Trading of Oil

The government needs to stop meddling in the economy. Speculation in markets is not a bad thing. It can work the other way as well, if people speculate the price will fall instead of rise.

What is next however? No more speculation in any industry or markets? Why not just let the government mandate price controls on everything people feel is to expensive and get it over with? This is a lousy idea. Tell the government to get out of the so-called "free market."

picture.php
picture.php

Or maybe we should have just let the Republicants dance around the issue like they've been doing forever. I mean they'd like to see women pushed back to the 50's stripped of all reproductive rights.

Why not just keep dancing around this problem as well.

Hey... I found a clip on it... It's the Dancing Republicants starring in GAS GUZZLER...LOL!:D

It's a riot watch... is that Mark Foley?

I watched a T.V. special awhile back where it was reveled that two large banks had rented the facilities at a closed Oklahoma oil refinery, and had purchased (speculated), huge amounts of oil which it pumped into the refineries empty tanks to hold. This was during the $4.00+ per gallon gas period. It was so much oil being diverted from the market that it added to the demand and resulted in the oil price climbing even further.

What are banks doing in the oil business?

It is notable that during the time of the high-priced gas, I posted on these forums that the price of gas was not due to a shortage or demand, but due to speculation, and manipulating the demand, the conservatives tried their best to discredit that statement.

It is not in America's best interest to continue to have speculators have access to our oil supply. In regard to oil, if you do not own a refinery, you should not have the right to buy crude oil. For what purpose other than speculation would you buy it?

Speculation in markets is not a bad thing. It can work the other way as well, if people speculate the price will fall instead of rise.
Uh, if they "speculated" the price would fall, they would not buy crude oil. Just what do you think "speculation" is anyway?
What is next however? No more speculation in any industry or markets? Why not just let the government mandate price controls on everything people feel is to expensive and get it over with? This is a lousy idea. Tell the government to get out of the so-called "free market."
How did a "free market" banking industry work out for us?

How, pray tell, is the "gubmint" going to regulate prices on a resource that's increasingly coming from foreign countries?

How, pray tell, is the "gubmint" going to regulate prices on a resource that's increasingly coming from foreign countries?

Almost too dumb of a question to answer. 1) The recent (last Summer) high price of gasoline was not due to demand out pacing supply. If it were, there would have been signs on gas stations that said: "Sorry, out of gas." There were no signs as there were during the OPEC supply shut down of the '70's
2) As I suggested in a post above, (if you had only read it), if the only entities that were allowed to purchase crude oil were refineries, (by law, as at one time Americans were not allowed to own gold), the speculators could not create an artificially high (but false) demand for oil. 3) Thus, the price of oil would reflect the true demand and it would not result in $4.00+ per gallon oil.

Werbung:
Back