No more justification for torture

PLC1

Staff member
Both presidential candidates seem to be in agreement that we must make sure that no more prisoners are tortured.

McCain: "And we've got to -- to make sure that we have people who are trained interrogators so that we don't ever torture a prisoner ever again."

Obama: “But because of some of the mistakes that have been made -- and I give Senator McCain great credit on the torture issue, for having identified that as something that undermines our long-term security -- because of those things, we, I think, are going to have a lot of work to do in the next administration to restore that sense that America is that shining beacon on a hill.”

From the presidential debate

Werbung:
If you give them a shot of that truth drug, is that considered torture? I am sure the really left wing people would consider that bad or wrong but what about the "normal" people in the middle. You know 2/3 of the country.

Well pretty much anything that might help prevent a terrorist attack is something we need to stop doing. ... to the left it seems.

You'll note that pop has never given what we should do to prevent a terrorist attack, just what we shouldn't.

Both presidential candidates seem to be in agreement that we must make sure that no more prisoners are tortured.

McCain: "And we've got to -- to make sure that we have people who are trained interrogators so that we don't ever torture a prisoner ever again."

To me this sounds like leaving the door open. Our interrogators are highly trained as it is. The rendition program already enables us not to torture anyone as it is.

Obama: “But because of some of the mistakes that have been made -- and I give Senator McCain great credit on the torture issue, for having identified that as something that undermines our long-term security -- because of those things, we, I think, are going to have a lot of work to do in the next administration to restore that sense that America is that shining beacon on a hill.”

This seems to leave the door open to me as well. Neither one of them says that torture will be done away with. Both of them leave the door open, and that is an important distinction.

Well pretty much anything that might help prevent a terrorist attack is something we need to stop doing. ... to the left it seems.

You'll note that pop has never given what we should do to prevent a terrorist attack, just what we shouldn't.

No what we need to stop is retarded statements like yours that show you don't have a clue about Security, have no respect for international law, or the basic fact that we don't live on the show 24. you know who comes out against Torture? The Military, most CIA, and most FBI...all will tell you it does not work, and only opens our troops up to more harm if they are ever captured.

No what we need to stop is retarded statements like yours that show you don't have a clue about Security, have no respect for international law, or the basic fact that we don't live on the show 24. you know who comes out against Torture? The Military, most CIA, and most FBI...all will tell you it does not work, and only opens our troops up to more harm if they are ever captured.

Well.. in fairness here, some in the military, the CIA, and the FBI will tell you it does not work.

We could always go back to using the interrogation techniques they used in Vietnam, just give 'em flying lessons. Seems to me that before 9-11 taking flying lessons was real big on some of their "bucket lists".

Take 60 or 80 of 'em up in a C-141 to about 15,000 ft., open the side doors, and ask 'em a few questions. If they don't answer you, or lie to you, toss 'em out and grab the next one in line, and repeat as necessary until you find out what you want to know. If they can learn to fly before they hit the ground, they're free to go back to doing what they were doing before we captured them, if not, it just sucks to be them, but at least we didn't "torture" them. Yup, that ought to make liberals happy.

Torture... only opens our troops up to more harm if they are ever captured.
I don't buy that.... but it makes for a feel good soundbite.

Name one American soldier that has been captured and returned Alive. Point being, American Soldiers will get beaten, tortured and killed regardless of how ill, or well, detainees in American custody are treated.

----------------------------------------

Torture is horrendous but the idea that either McCain or Obama can prevent torture from EVER happening under their watch is absurd... They may as well be saying that during their administration, there will be no domestic crime of any kind either.

McCain pointing out interrogators is silly.... Interrogators have been guilty of only a few cases of torture while the overwhelming majority of torture took place at the hands of our Soldiers, who were supposed to be "Guarding" detainees.

Additionally... We don't need to torture people for info, we can just send them to one of our allies, like Saudi Arabia, and let some other country torture them... Or turn a blind eye while a soldier from another country tortures someone right there in the field.

I don't buy that.... but it makes for a feel good soundbite.

Name one American soldier that has been captured and returned Alive. Point being, American Soldiers will get beaten, tortured and killed regardless of how ill, or well, detainees in American custody are treated.

The enemy’s life has always mattered more than our own troops lives. There is no point in trying to compare the two. Our troops will always matter less than the bad guys in the eyes of the left.

It’s much like the life of a man who raped and murdered a child. The left will fight to save his life from the Death P. and even try to pass laws to give the man less time in prison. That mans life will always be more important than the victims life he took.

There is something warped and twisted about it

Like most issues during this campaign silly season, the toture issue has not had a serious debate, and certainly not here.

Like most issues during this campaign silly season, the toture issue has not had a serious debate, and certainly not here.

It's difficult to have a debate when both candidates are in agreement, isn't it?

I wonder who the pro torture crowd is going to vote for? It seems as if the issue is settled, regardless of which candidate becomes commander in chief. It looks like Bush will be the last pro torture pres, at least until the next election.

Werbung:
It's difficult to have a debate when both candidates are in agreement, isn't it?

I wonder who the pro torture crowd is going to vote for? It seems as if the issue is settled, regardless of which candidate becomes commander in chief. It looks like Bush will be the last pro torture pres, at least until the next election.

I don't buy it. Both of them left open rendition options. Both of them left open the idea that torture can happen. Simply that we will not do it. We already do that for the most part...

Back