Note from a cop

Little-Acorn

We'll probably get the leftists' usual gun-owners-are-stupid-and-hillbillies-and-rednecks-and-whatever-else-we-can-make-up tripe, as they try to deflect attention from the author's point: That fundamental dissatisfaction with the Federal government is growing.

But once you get past that, it's interesting to note the other salient points here: It's not just reactionaries who are buying guns in record numbers, and not just to resist government. It's people who are concerned about increasing numbers of common criminals that will come from a government soft on crime; increasing numbers of lawbreaking illegal aliens encouraged by the majority party's attempts to grant amnesty in various forms; and even police who are worried about the effects of ordinary people's disdain for increasing regulations and restrictions, that weaken their respect for ALL laws.

-------------------------------

http://gunnyg.wordpress.com/2009/06/30/note-from-a-cop-written-scott-wagner/

Note From a Cop

30 June 2009

Written By: Scott Wagner a Police Academy Commander and Professor at Columbus State Community College in Columbus Ohio, and Commander of the 727 Counter Terror Training Unit. A 29 year law enforcement veteran, and current Deputy Sheriff, he is the Precision Marksman for the Union County Sheriff’s Office SRT Team.

-------------------------------------

The fear on the street is palpable. Ever since the election of Barack Obama as President of these United States in November 2008, coupled with the election of a democrat party majority in both the U.S. House and Senate, concern for the United States and personal safety has ignited like a fire in dry grass.

Sales of guns – black guns, rifles, shotguns and handguns (particularly 9mm) everywhere, have gone through the roof. AR15s have literally flown off of dealer shelves, and only now in the spring of 2009, have I seen the display samples of ARs begin to reappear on the wall of my favorite shooting emporium after the initial post election rush.

Manufacturers of ARs are still working to catch up and some of the major suppliers are as much as 150,000 guns behind. Not only that, ammo is in the shortest supply I have ever seen in the 43 years of my shooting life. Have you recently tried to get 5.56mm, 9mm or even 380 ammo?

Supplies of 5.56mm and 9mm ammo are in short supply due to the black gun buying craze; .380ACP because of the rise in people getting concealed carry permits and the resurgence of interest in convenient 380 handguns like the fine Ruger LCP. In fact, in doing a review of the Ruger LCP, my gun store only had a small supply of ONE .380 round on hand, the Winchesters 95-grain SXT, which they had just gotten in. Unfortunately, I had to do a 30-round review of that pistol. There was none other to be found.

What is odd about this new fear is that it is not coming from the average citizen gun owner out there, but it is coming from what to me is an almost shocking source: street cops.

Street cops and SWAT cops that I know from various agencies – rural, suburban and metro – in my area are scared. Cops that before November 2008 never gave much thought (that I knew of anyway) to politics or more
importantly to gun rights. For the most part, these are the guys that didn’t generally have any interest in shooting or gun ownership beyond keeping track of where their duty gun is, and a few of them didn’t even do that so well.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Werbung:
Those who can see undercurrents in America will do what they can. Those who cry "redneck" will be caught with their pants down and cry for help. Crime will soar in the liberal states where gun ownership is banned or seriously restricted. It already is happening. The meek will not inherit America.

NO ONE IS BANNING GUNS< STOP CRYING

Ignorance is a far more scary weapon and the right is getting very well armed.

I could care less if Cops have ar-15's....maybe its in case they have to go fight some dumb retard right wing Michigan militia types, or the growing threat of Gangs especialy near the mexican border areas.

Instead of arguing with those who believe the 2nd Amendment is an out of date piece of the Constitution, I have taken a different tact. I invite them to come shooting with me at our local range.

I have personally taken 12 gun opponents and turned them around by teaching them gun safety and letting them shoot. Education over ignorance is a great equalizer. Every person, with one exception, has changed their tune once they have experienced shooting.

Next time you get a person who doesn't believe in the right to own a gun, ask them if they have ever shot, and then invite them to try it.

We'll probably get the leftists' usual gun-owners-are-stupid-and-hillbillies-and-rednecks-and-whatever-else-we-can-make-up tripe, as they try to deflect attention from the author's point: That fundamental dissatisfaction with the Federal government is growing.

But once you get past that, it's interesting to note the other salient points here: It's not just reactionaries who are buying guns in record numbers, and not just to resist government. It's people who are concerned about increasing numbers of common criminals that will come from a government soft on crime; increasing numbers of lawbreaking illegal aliens encouraged by the majority party's attempts to grant amnesty in various forms; and even police who are worried about the effects of ordinary people's disdain for increasing regulations and restrictions, that weaken their respect for ALL laws.
I did read the entire letter, and while I am as gun toting as they come for the most part, much of what he opined was rehashed rhetoric that is the typical fear mongering that the right seem to strive towards.

Either way, I spent my winter working weekends at a local gun shop. He is correct about the situation on supplies. Nationwide there is virtually zero large warehoused/stockpiled commercially available ammo. The inventory levels of black guns are creeping back. There was even a big run on ruger mini-14s.

What was not mentioned is the severe lack of supply when it comes to gun powder, and various other reloading components. Also, there has been a surge in .22lr rifle ammo shot by the billions in America annually.

Ultimately though what is going on the same time any buying frenzy happens like this. What happened on 1/1/2000 at midnight? Nothing. Same goes for bird flu, and the rice shortages, and any number of the various crazes that the media, wall street, and government just love to stir up. And it all turns out to be bumpkiss.

Itll all sit in a basement and for %99.9 of the people who has caches of ammo will sell it or shoot it.

Also, I think it is worthy to note that the letter writer also suggested up front that it was large number of cops and other law enforcement types(not that they arent), it is also very much the average citizen that has been buying guns and ammo in droves. In Alaska it has been nuts. We have somewhat limited shipping options, and of course have the highest per capita demand in the nation.

Some of it could be for a completely different reason: if the economy crashes too hard, food could be a problem. That said, it wouldn't be the world's worst idea to have some .22 ammo for (rural) squirrel and rabbit hunting. While I'm aware that a lot of you believe by way of the current seeming rally in the DJIA that we're on the way back up, there are an awful lot of factors behind the scenes that you don't hear mentioned by the MSM that point to some serious trouble coming up. We're currently having some really bad Treasury auctions and the dollar got the living crap beat out of it, losing ~1 1/4% today in the futures markets. Gold and oil both popped up significantly on the news.

Some of it could be for a completely different reason: if the economy crashes too hard, food could be a problem. That said, it wouldn't be the world's worst idea to have some .22 ammo for (rural) squirrel and rabbit hunting. While I'm aware that a lot of you believe by way of the current seeming rally in the DJIA that we're on the way back up, there are an awful lot of factors behind the scenes that you don't hear mentioned by the MSM that point to some serious trouble coming up. We're currently having some really bad Treasury auctions and the dollar got the living crap beat out of it, losing ~1 1/4% today in the futures markets. Gold and oil both popped up significantly on the news.

Well we also auctioned off 240 billion dollars or so last week, which is an insane amount. A lot of what I have seen is that levels such as this are unsustainable, but levels like that do not happen weekly.

Also, I think that the rising interest rates in auctions are not a bad thing persay. It could just be a sign of demand coming back as banks move cash they have been sitting on into the market for investment.

Rising interest rates cascade down the financial foodchain. As Treasury coupons rise, so will interest rates for home mortgages. As interest rates on home mortgages rise, home values tend to drop. There's a science to that.

In any case, when the CPI starts rising and discretionary spending money evaporates... squirrel... it's what's for dinner!

Rising interest rates cascade down the financial foodchain. As Treasury coupons rise, so will interest rates for home mortgages. As interest rates on home mortgages rise, home values tend to drop. There's a science to that.

In any case, when the CPI starts rising and discretionary spending money evaporates... squirrel... it's what's for dinner!

True, but nominal rising rates right now I do not view as a bad thing. While certainly we do not want them going out of control, at current levels I would argue a small increase is easily manageable.

Werbung:
So... what you're really saying is that you're adverse to squirrel? Let me clue you in: DO NOT get any of the hair on it--it WON'T wash off easily at all. If you DO get the hair on it, grill it to burn it off.

Back