Now you too can be a professional illiterate: Govt to hire Ebonics "experts"

Little-Acorn

Ebonics is, of course, what the government calls it when some black people can't speak coherent English, even when they were born in the U.S. and English is their native language.

Now you can make money from their illiteracy! The government will pay you to tell Uncle Sam what those black people mean by "I want to axe you a question" or "Where you is" or etc. that the govt has picked up in wiretaps.

The black people in question are probably getting quite a laugh out of all this. After all, they've been carefully cultivating this "black accent" for a couple generations now, in part for group identification and in part to tweak silly white people. Clearly, it's working.

How many of these English-deficient blacks know the real origins of this so-called "black speak", do you suppose? It was originally the way that semi-illiterage people in southern England spoke in the 1500s and 1600s. Yes, white people (sorry, Caucasians, got to be politically correct here. Or do I? Screw it. White people. None of them are from the central mountains in Russia that I know of). People so miserable that they couldn't pay their rent (just or unjust), and got thrown out (or they ran out ahead of the posse) of their countries and wound up in America, and settled in the Deep South around that time.

And black people (mostly slaves, but some free) who were born there or brought there and tried to learn English, had no one to learn it from except these fairly stupid, functionally illiterate white people... and so they did. The people they learned form weren't the educated, cultured people who wrote books, ran governments, invented cotton gins and peanut products, etc. These were the dregs, who remained poor even in a land of plenty, let their fields go fallow while others prospered, spent more time drinking and fighting that working, and couldn't be counted on to even return a favor. That broken, illiterate dialect they learned from those crackers is what is now called "Ebonics", as though it originated with black people, even though it didn't.

Anyway, now you can make some money, telling the government what black people are saying when they imitate the disfunctional talk of miserable white slaveowners and their functionally-illiterate white cracker neighbors from the 1600s.

---------------------------------

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/justice-department-seeks-ebonics-experts

DOCUMENT: Bizarre
Justice Department Seeks Ebonics Experts
DEA wants “Black English” linguists to decipher bugged calls

AUGUST 23--The Department of Justice is seeking to hire linguists fluent in Ebonics to help monitor, translate, and transcribe the secretly recorded conversations of subjects of narcotics investigations, according to federal records.

A maximum of nine Ebonics experts will work with the Drug Enforcement Administration’s Atlanta field division, where the linguists, after obtaining a “DEA Sensitive” security clearance, will help investigators decipher the results of “telephonic monitoring of court ordered nonconsensual intercepts, consensual listening devices, and other media”

The DEA’s need for full-time linguists specializing in Ebonics is detailed in bid documents related to the agency’s mid-May issuance of a request for proposal (RFP) covering the provision of as many as 2100 linguists for the drug agency’s various field offices. Answers to the proposal were due from contractors on July 29.

In contract documents, which are excerpted here, Ebonics is listed among 114 languages for which prospective contractors must be able to provide linguists. The 114 languages are divided between “common languages” and “exotic languages.” Ebonics is listed as a “common language” spoken solely in the United States.

Werbung:
Fluent Ebonics speakers needed

For Hire: Fluent Ebonics Speakers for DEA Jobs

It may be raising some eyebrows, but the Drug Enforcement Administration insists it needs to hire at least nine people fluent in Ebonics.

The DEA's Atlanta office has been looking for Ebonics "linguists" since at least May, when job vacancies were posted online.

According to one posting, the linguist's duties would include "monitoring varying numbers of communications intercepts during any given shift" and then providing "reliable and accurate transcriptions."

Language and culture are intertwined, as language is the means by which culture is shared. Are we really dealing with a new culture/language right here, home grown, in the US? It seems there is a good reason to think so.

What do you think?

I seem to have picked up a groupie. I'm flattered, I think.

Little POS has been stomped into the ground so often, that he's now beginning to enter threads just for the purpose of trying to pretend I don't have a point in my post, even when it's spelled out in the first line.

He's really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. :D

Back to the subject:
Calling this slang aped by black people who should know better, a "language", is like calling a multi-car pileup an "alternate form of transportation". Even dignifying it with a name, is silly.

It's not a language. It's just an embarrassment. What's worse, is that the people using it don't realize it. Sorta like someone walking around, showing off what he considers to be a totally awesome new pair of pants, without knowing his zipper is down.

I'd have to agree with Little Acorn that Ebonics is not a language, but just English spoken poorly. the question is: Do we need someone who understands what drug dealers are saying when they are speaking Ebonics?

I've heard Snoop Dog (on Leno), and have to admit I didn't understand a quarter of what he was saying.

I'd have to agree with Little Acorn that Ebonics is not a language, but just English spoken poorly. the question is: Do we need someone who understands what drug dealers are saying when they are speaking Ebonics?

I've heard Snoop Dog (on Leno), and have to admit I didn't understand a quarter of what he was saying.

Thus why its used...Its basicly spoken as code, so that people like the cops will not catch on...at least not as easy...also if used in court....jury can hear a tape and say ummm ok so you say thats what it ment..but I realy don't know...

like watching Lock Stock n 2 smoking Barals...and they use Conany (something like that) English...I'g going to hit you right in your chevy chase....( means face)

But if accorn wants us to let people talk in and have no idea what they are saying, and thus fail to prevent a crime or convict someone for it...so he can feel good about Ebonics not being its own real language (its more a very havy slang)

I think back to the movie airplane...( sir I speak jive)

Thus why its used...Its basicly spoken as code, so that people like the cops will not catch on...at least not as easy...also if used in court....jury can hear a tape and say ummm ok so you say thats what it ment..but I realy don't know...

like watching Lock Stock n 2 smoking Barals...and they use Conany (something like that) English...I'g going to hit you right in your chevy chase....( means face)

But if accorn wants us to let people talk in and have no idea what they are saying, and thus fail to prevent a crime or convict someone for it...so he can feel good about Ebonics not being its own real language (its more a very havy slang)

I think back to the movie airplane...( sir I speak jive)

You're probably thinking of Cockney slang, as spoken in places in Britain.

Werbung:
Back