Obama and Rev. Wright

My real point, in demonstrating what I still beleive to be a discernible double standard, is who cares what some pastor says? The religious right has represented a core constituency within the Republican party for some 20 years. Yet, the Republican candidates, during this time, have been judged by their own words not the words of some televangelist or nutty pastor. All I, and other Obama supporters ask, is the same consideration. Judge Sen. Obama on his words, his actions, not the words and actions of another.

I understand your point, but your logic is flawed. You ask for Senator Obama to be judged on his words and actions. His actions are that he has embraced this Pastor and church, which includes these vile utterances that are so non-Christian, divisive and hate-filled, for over 20 years. (Ironically, a similar period you cite as the religious right party being a core constituency in the Republican party.) You simply do not belong to a church, support it with your time, money and talents without absorbing the message and mission of the church leadership. The primary component of leadership is the minister or pastor, the shepherd.

The problem is that Rev. Wright represents a whole racially-motivated philosophical position: the Social Gospel. While this church, and many others like it use the title of "Christian churches" and the word "Gospel" as part of the mission, they lose the purpose of the true Gospel of free salvation offered by Christ. Applying Christianity to the social structure is great - except when the Gospel of Christ has to be re-defined and re-shaped to fit the environment. The Gospel is what it is, and should shape the society instead of the other way around. Rev. Wright is witnessed by his own words, and Obama by embracing them is his witness as well.

Most likely there is peace and love preached at times. But unfortunately, hate and bitterness in small amounts can undo a ton of good.

Most of those in the religious right are not the "televangelists and nutty pastors" you cite. They are a minority. Yeah, they're there, and they do say ridiculous, wrong, and even hateful things at times. And for those who choose to play the hate card from this segment of Christianity I also abhor and have no use for. Most of the religious right are simply that: Conservatives whose values are biblically based. Regardless of how the left and the media have tried to define it, this is simply what it is. Period.

I have listened to Senator Obama. I have watched his actions. I'm definitely not impressed.

Werbung:
Back