Obama announces federal pay freeze

steveox

President Obama announced Monday that civilian federal workers' salaries will be frozen for two years to help cut federal spending.

In announcing the decision, Obama stressed the sacrifices made by the armed services and said: "These are also times where all of us are called on to make some sacrifices. And I'm asking civil servants to do what they always do and play their part."

The president added that the decision was not easy.

The White House estimates that the freeze, which does not affect military personnel, will save $2 billion for the remainder of the 2011 fiscal year, $28 billion over the next five years and more than $60 billion over the next 10 years.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theti..._theticket/obama-announces-federal-pay-freeze

It Still doesnt go far enough. He should make his staff take a pay cut Just like Nelson Mandela did. He should make Congressmen and Senators take pay cuts as well.

Werbung:
Whooppee dooo.

Government employees are hugely over-compensated - I'd cut it by 25%.

I think this is a good first step, granted a tiny one.

That said, it must still be approved by Congress because the President cannot simply cut the pay of federal workers.

I think this is a good first step, granted a tiny one.

That said, it must still be approved by Congress because the President cannot simply cut the pay of federal workers.

No, with obozo it's a last step to generate propaganda for total morons, showing he's "doing something" about the titanic defict he caused in paying off the leftwing for his election (aka "the stimulus").

No, with obozo it's a last step to generate propaganda for total morons, showing he's "doing something" about the titanic defict he caused in paying off the leftwing for his election (aka "the stimulus").

As I said, I think it is a good first step... obviously if a first step is not followed with additional steps, you will go nowhere.

As I said, I think it is a good first step... obviously if a first step is not followed with additional steps, you will go nowhere.

Anyone who believes statist obozo would want to "harm" government employees, his natural constituency, beyond near-meaningless gestures, would probably believe he wants to stop illegal aliens from entering the country. :D

Anyone who believes statist obozo would want to "harm" government employees, his natural constituency, beyond near-meaningless gestures, would probably believe he wants to stop illegal aliens from entering the country. :D

Your hyper-partisanship is shining brighter than ever.

Has the President done anything in your mind that was a positive thing?

Your hyper-partisanship is shining brighter than ever.

Yeah, if I weren't hyper partisan, I'd take one of obozo's many screw ups and say it's not a screwup. :D

Has the President done anything in your mind that was a positive thing?

I can't think of a single one, but is that a surprise? He's an america-hating leftwing extremist - there's no reason to believe we would agree on anything.

Yeah, if I weren't hyper partisan, I'd take one of obozo's many screw ups and say it's not a screwup. :D

The difference is you can't even admit when he does something right.

I can't think of a single one, but is that a surprise? He's an america-hating leftwing extremist - there's no reason to believe we would agree on anything.

Let me ask you this, do you support the following?

1) Closing GITMO
2) Targeted killings with predator drones
3) The practice of rendition
4) The existence of secret prisons
5) The State Secrets Doctrine
6) "Warrantless" wiretaps
7) That the war on terror is actually a "war" and not a law enforcement issue
8) Limited habeas corpus rights

All of these were policies President Bush put in place, and have since been continued (in slightly varying forms for some and outright for others) by the Obama Administration.

I take it you oppose everything on this list?

Their pay were raised already. After two years, they still enjoy high pay - above $150,000.

More federal workers' pay tops $150,000
Updated 11/10/2010

By Dennis Cauchon, USA TODAY
The number of federal workers earning $150,000 or more a year has soared tenfold in the past five years and doubled since President Obama took office, a USA TODAY analysis finds.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-11-10-1Afedpay10_ST_N.htm

Werbung:
The difference is you can't even admit when he does something right.

Let me ask you this, do you support the following?

1) Closing GITMO

No - Gitmo follows the hundreds of years old custom of detaining POWs and war criminals for the duration of a war.

2) Targeted killings with predator drones

Sure - in wartime, you kill the enemy, and targets of the drones are generally the absolute worst of the enemy - war criminals.

3) The practice of rendition

Not if it's for torture by proxy.

4) The existence of secret prisons

Only as a temporary measure.

5) The State Secrets Doctrine

Yes, but a >>QUALIFIED<< judge should rule on its application on a case by case basis in a secret hearing.

6) "Warrantless" wiretaps

Yes, in the cases where it's actually been used: U.S. citizens speaking to the alqaeda enemy overseas.

7) That the war on terror is actually a "war" and not a law enforcement issue

Obviously - are the 100,000 military in afghanistan, with tanks and artillery and attack helicopters and aircraft carriers merely "law enforcement"? :D

8) Limited habeas corpus rights

Under the circumstances spelled out in the constitution.

Back