Obama gets an earful in clash with GOP senators

PLC1

Staff member

If President Barack Obama thought having a private lunch with Republican senators would ease partisan tensions in Congress, he grabbed the wrong recipe.

The president walked into a remarkably contentious 80-minute session Tuesday in which GOP senators accused him of duplicity, audacity and unbending partisanship. Lawmakers said the testy exchange left legislative logjams intact, and one GOP leader said nothing is likely to change before the November elections.

Duplicity and unbending partisanship seem to have become a way of life in Washington lately. I'm not so sure about audacity, though. Neither side seems to be audacious enough to speak out about the partisanship being demonstrated by "their" team.

What is your take on this article?

Werbung:

Duplicity and unbending partisanship seem to have become a way of life in Washington lately. I'm not so sure about audacity, though. Neither side seems to be audacious enough to speak out about the partisanship being demonstrated by "their" team.

What is your take on this article?

That Republicans lost house, dems have 59 ( had 60 votes in senate) and the white house....and republicans think bi partisanship should mean we do what they want still...They can suck a egg.

That Republicans lost house, dems have 59 ( had 60 votes in senate) and the white house....and republicans think bi partisanship should mean we do what they want still...They can suck a egg.

And there is the problem right there.......republicans lost because they didn't listen to the people enough. The Democrats have taken that and multiplied that arrogance by 100. Thus we are about to see the fastest rise to mega power become a fall that could land them in the minority. The democrats don't want to listen to anyone at all just look at the health care bill. The majority of Americans were against the bill, but they "rahmed" it through. They continue to go against the will of the people and the people quite frankly are angry.

And there is the problem right there.......republicans lost because they didn't listen to the people enough. The Democrats have taken that and multiplied that arrogance by 100. Thus we are about to see the fastest rise to mega power become a fall that could land them in the minority. The democrats don't want to listen to anyone at all just look at the health care bill. The majority of Americans were against the bill, but they "rahmed" it through. They continue to go against the will of the people and the people quite frankly are angry.

Bla bla bla...Health care...you know what we VOTED For...Rammed...aka voted on by the majority of the house and senate....

So when you get 60 votes to 40 against....thats rammed
When you do what you said you would do if elected...thats rammed

Way to prove my point

Bla bla bla...Health care...you know what we VOTED For...Rammed...aka voted on by the majority of the house and senate....

So when you get 60 votes to 40 against....thats rammed
When you do what you said you would do if elected...thats rammed

Way to prove my point

Actually thank you for proving my point! The people that are elected to represent the people didn't. As people learned more about what was in the bill they wanted it less, thus the reason that it took so much effort (vote buying) to get through. It was passed because they wanted it not because the people that voted them in to office had the desire. Thus the reason so many Dems are on thin ice right now. Thus it was "Rahmed".......I'm not sure where you get this "We" stuff from, but if your in the minority of people that sided with the Dem majority house and senate I guess you could use "we" loosely!

Actually thank you for proving my point! The people that are elected to represent the people didn't. As people learned more about what was in the bill they wanted it less, thus the reason that it took so much effort (vote buying) to get through. It was passed because they wanted it not because the people that voted them in to office had the desire. Thus the reason so many Dems are on thin ice right now. Thus it was "Rahmed".......I'm not sure where you get this "We" stuff from, but if your in the minority of people that sided with the Dem majority house and senate I guess you could use "we" loosely!

First go learn what a Representitive means...it does not mean you vote based on what polls tell you to do...you voted for what you think is best ....and the people vote for the person they want to represent them...Not for someone who parots them.

2nd...YOu must then think all voters are retarded and voted for someone who was soooo very clearly against what they wanted...Yet said I vote for them anyway...SO they are all dumb right?

Im sorry ( not realy) your side lost all 3 branches....but fact is that means your out and no longer get to have it your way. Deal with it. the bull idea that somehow doing what the voters voted for, is forcing anything is just so ...republican

First go learn what a Representitive means...it does not mean you vote based on what polls tell you to do...you voted for what you think is best ....and the people vote for the person they want to represent them...Not for someone who parots them.

2nd...YOu must then think all voters are retarded and voted for someone who was soooo very clearly against what they wanted...Yet said I vote for them anyway...SO they are all dumb right?

Im sorry ( not realy) your side lost all 3 branches....but fact is that means your out and no longer get to have it your way. Deal with it. the bull idea that somehow doing what the voters voted for, is forcing anything is just so ...republican

Wow so a representative's constituency shouldn't desire for their elected official to "represent" their desires. Again, if you promise the world and then the constituency discover that it is far far less that what they had been promised they shouldn't be allowed to call said Representative and say vote this way. That is very odd to me living in this Democratic Republic. I am also glad to know that even though I didn't vote for Kay Hagan or Brad Miller, but yet they are still my representation in D.C. So I shouldn't as an (Independent) actually be able to call my representatives and voice my wishes and desires along with my other North Carolinians. FYI, all indications in NC were that overwhelmingly they didn't want Health Care. Thus Kay Hagan and Brad Miller both are in serious trouble. Especially, with local news catching Miller on tape saying he didn't care what his constituency wanted.

Wow so a representative's constituency shouldn't desire for their elected official to "represent" their desires. Again, if you promise the world and then the constituency discover that it is far far less that what they had been promised they shouldn't be allowed to call said Representative and say vote this way. That is very odd to me living in this Democratic Republic. I am also glad to know that even though I didn't vote for Kay Hagan or Brad Miller, but yet they are still my representation in D.C. So I shouldn't as an (Independent) actually be able to call my representatives and voice my wishes and desires along with my other North Carolinians. FYI, all indications in NC were that overwhelmingly they didn't want Health Care. Thus Kay Hagan and Brad Miller both are in serious trouble. Especially, with local news catching Miller on tape saying he didn't care what his constituency wanted.

cry all you want, I know it hurts, but deal with it, you lost. The Obama and Democratic platform for 20 years has been Health care reform...I only wish they had been able to do more. You don't like it? To bad, you lost. Facts of life. But keep crying OOOOOO NOOOOO they did what they said they would do if we voted for them, ...My god its like a Dictatorship!

cry all you want, I know it hurts, but deal with it, you lost. The Obama and Democratic platform for 20 years has been Health care reform...I only wish they had been able to do more. You don't like it? To bad, you lost. Facts of life. But keep crying OOOOOO NOOOOO they did what they said they would do if we voted for them, ...My god its like a Dictatorship!

I'm glad you managed to put together a real intellectual response. I notice you don't and aren't able to dispute any of what I've stated. So if you idea of debate or conversation is thumbing your nose and going "we won, you lost" then that is extremely sad. Almost as sad as your understanding of how our government is set up to function. Yes, you run on a platform but your primary objective is to represent the will of the people. Here is a quick hint, this is why we call them "elected representatives."

I'm glad you managed to put together a real intellectual response. I notice you don't and aren't able to dispute any of what I've stated. So if you idea of debate or conversation is thumbing your nose and going "we won, you lost" then that is extremely sad. Almost as sad as your understanding of how our government is set up to function. Yes, you run on a platform but your primary objective is to represent the will of the people. Here is a quick hint, this is why we call them "elected representatives."

hint, you ever notice how we don't like Politicians who vote on the polls...if the polls change and the politician just changes with them...what do you call them? Flip Floppers?

You vote for a person to represent you...not a person to do what ever you want them to do. They get all the facts, you don't. There is a reason we don't vote on evry issue separate as voters...as you suggest should happen it seems. This would be government under your simplistic view....No taxes, everything funded! as voters for more funding for schools they say yes...ask them to fun said funding...they say no...WE call that California.

But yes, keep crying, about how the politicians did what the voters said they wanted. and yes we did win and you lost...act like a grown up and deal with it. You don't get to lose and then have your views still be the ones that are pushed and made into law...you want that, go to Iran...you can lose a election and just stay in power and say we win and are doing what the people want...even though they voted for the other guy

hint, you ever notice how we don't like Politicians who vote on the polls...if the polls change and the politician just changes with them...what do you call them? Flip Floppers?

You vote for a person to represent you...not a person to do what ever you want them to do. They get all the facts, you don't. There is a reason we don't vote on evry issue separate as voters...as you suggest should happen it seems. This would be government under your simplistic view....No taxes, everything funded! as voters for more funding for schools they say yes...ask them to fun said funding...they say no...WE call that California.

But yes, keep crying, about how the politicians did what the voters said they wanted. and yes we did win and you lost...act like a grown up and deal with it. You don't get to lose and then have your views still be the ones that are pushed and made into law...you want that, go to Iran...you can lose a election and just stay in power and say we win and are doing what the people want...even though they voted for the other guy

You crack me up with your act like a grown up routine after your responses that sound like something from the middle school. I never suggested that we should vote on each issue individually. When the bill however is as large as health care your freakin right the people should be heard and fully represented. However, as a History major w/ a political science focus I think I have a pretty good grasp on how government works. I do find it humorous how you put words in my mouth. Especially when you use illustrations that are crazy. Allow me to go ahead and write your response for you, that way you can just cut and paste.

WE WON, cry cry, republicans suck because they lost. We WON....we're in control now....cry cry. The only thing your leaving out are your mama comments.

You make this almost comical.

You crack me up with your act like a grown up routine after your responses that sound like something from the middle school. I never suggested that we should vote on each issue individually. When the bill however is as large as health care your freakin right the people should be heard and fully represented. However, as a History major w/ a political science focus I think I have a pretty good grasp on how government works. I do find it humorous how you put words in my mouth. Especially when you use illustrations that are crazy. Allow me to go ahead and write your response for you, that way you can just cut and paste.

WE WON, cry cry, republicans suck because they lost. We WON....we're in control now....cry cry. The only thing your leaving out are your mama comments.

You make this almost comical.

well as someone who has a BA in Political Science, min in International studies, and AAS in marketing as well....you don't have a clue...

Voters wanted health care...just because Republicans and the tea party did not, does not change that.

well as someone who has a BA in Political Science, min in International studies, and AAS in marketing as well....you don't have a clue...

Voters wanted health care...just because Republicans and the tea party did not, does not change that.

In your world maybe so, but that isn't even what was reported on mainstream media sites. I saw a couple studies today that 60+ percent of Americans want the Health Care Bill repealed. I'm glad your misguided views of the constitution have led you to the theory that I have "no clue." Once again you don't fail to impress with your responses. Maybe point out where I'm wrong constitutionally and we can have a real conversation.

In your world maybe so, but that isn't even what was reported on mainstream media sites. I saw a couple studies today that 60+ percent of Americans want the Health Care Bill repealed. I'm glad your misguided views of the constitution have led you to the theory that I have "no clue." Once again you don't fail to impress with your responses. Maybe point out where I'm wrong constitutionally and we can have a real conversation.

and with 30% approval Bush stepped down right?

What was Approval or Iraq war ? should we have just stopped and left?

guess what , alot of people did not like the health care bill...because it did not do enough...do you count them as

also your wrong constitutionally...in that you have no clue how the government works, how a representative works...you think you get to pick and choose what they should just listen to the polls for and what they need to make choices for them self based on the facts they have , and the public does not have or understand.

Polls showed the majority in favor of the Public Option...so why did republican not stand up for what the polls showed and back it?

Werbung:
Some observations:

Politicians spend too much time with their fingers in the air trying to see which way the wind blows before voting. The popular thing to do isn't always what's best for the country.

Most Americans wanted and still want the health care system fixed. Very few like what we had before the bill passed. People may not like the law that was passed, but then, few know what it contains anyway.

The odds of the health care bill actually being revoked is just slightly less than the chances of a snowball surviving the summer on the sidewalk in Phoenix, even if it is a white snowball and doesn't look like an illegal alien.

Since approval of Congress is somewhere lower than the lowest limbo stick ever negotiated, it's quite likely that the majority Democrat congress will be replaced by a majority Republican Congress. Looking back, it wasn't so long ago that a majority Republican Congress was replaced by Democrats for the very same reason.

When the pendulum swings back, and the republicans get back in power, don't expect anything much to change, other than the rhetoric, that is.

Back