OBAMA picks GREAT Supreme Court nominee!

top gun

I was betting on this... and was thrilled with this pick. Once again President Obama hits an intellectual home run! Not only super highly qualified but a woman and the first Hispanic. GREAT FOR AMERICA!

Sonia Sotomayor, Supreme Court Nominee
Huffpost
05-26-09

President Barack Obama has tapped federal appeals judge Sonia Sotomayor for the Supreme Court, making her the first Hispanic in history picked to wear the robes of a justice. Here are 10 things about her that you should know:

1. HER UPBRINGING: Judge Sonia Sotomayor has arguably lived the American dream. She was born to a Puerto Rican family and grew up in a public housing project in the South Bronx.

Her father was a factory worker with a third-grade education, and died when Sotomayor was nine years old. Her mother raised Sotomayor while working as a nurse. After her father's death, Sotomayor reportedly turned to books for solace, and she says it was her love of Nancy Drew books that ultimately led her to the law.

2. HER EDUCATION: Sotomayor graduated as valedictorian of her class at Blessed Sacrament and at Cardinal Spellman High School in New York. She won a scholarship to Princeton where she continued to excel, graduating summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa. She was a co-recipient of the M. Taylor Pyne Prize, the highest honor Princeton awards to an undergraduate. At Yale Law School, Judge Sotomayor served as an editor of the Yale Law Journal and as managing editor of the Yale Studies in World Public Order.

3. HER WORK OFF THE BENCH: After law school, Sotomayor spent five years as Assistant District Attorney in Manhattan, trying dozens of criminal cases. Robert Morgenthau, who chose her for the position, described her as a "fearless and effective prosecutor." She entered private practice in 1984, working as an international corporate litigator handling cases involving everything from intellectual property to banking, real estate and contract law.

4. HER JUDICIAL EXPERIENCE: As Tom Goldstein of SCOTUSBlog writes, "Almost all of her career has been in public service -- as a prosecutor, trial judge, and now appellate judge. She has almost no money to her name." The White House notes:

If confirmed for the Supreme Court, Judge Sotomayor would bring more federal judicial experience to the Supreme Court than any justice in 100 years, and more overall judicial experience than anyone confirmed for the Court in the past 70 years. ...

In 1998, Judge Sotomayor became the first Latina to serve on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, one of the most demanding circuits in the country. She has participated in over 3000 panel decisions and authored roughly 400 opinions, handling difficult issues of constitutional law, to complex procedural matters, to lawsuits involving complicated business organizations."

5. HER STRUGGLE WITH DIABETES: Sotomayor is a Type One diabetic. She has been open about her diabetes in the past, noting that when she was diagnosed at he age of eight, it foiled her hopes of becoming an investigative detective like her heroine, Nancy Drew. While hardly a debilitating disease -- indeed, recent medical advancements have made it quite manageable to live with -- there remain enough late-in-life health implications to have sparked debate in legal, political and medical circles over whether it should be a factor in her nomination.

6. SOTOMAYOR SUPPORTED BY REPUBLICANS: In 1992, Republican President George H. W. Bush appointed Sotomayor to the District Court for the Southern District of New York.

Later, in 1998, President Bill Clinton nominated her to the 2nd Circuit, and she was confirmed with bipartisan support in a 67-29 vote.

All Democrats voted in favor of Sotomayor (although three did not vote), while Republicans opposed her by a 29-25 majority. Among those Senators who are still in the chamber today, however, Sotomayor's margin of confirmation was a bit more comfortable: 35-11.
Indeed, five current Republican Senators voted in favor of her nomination then: Sens. Collins, Gregg, Hatch, Lugar, Snowe. Among the no votes were current Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, current Minority Whip John Kyl and Sen. Jeff Sessions, currently the ranking Republican on the Judiciary Committee.

Additionally, the White House points out, "Known as a moderate on the court, Sotomayor often forges consensus and agreeing with her more conservative nominees far more frequently than she disagrees with them.

Werbung:
you think she agrees with blind justice?

better yet do you think the egg head does?

I know she believes in justice.

Everyone... Left or Right... has their own experiences and interpretation of things. If they didn't every Supreme Court vote would be unanimous.

Whether it be a strict religious upbringing... or being a woman that understands women's issues a little better everyone brings something a little different to the table. Anyone who says every single judge or justice doesn't is lying. Some may hide it better than others but it's there.

I'm personally one who believes our Constitution has to be looked at with at least some small amount of evolution as major things have occurred with our civilization. There are issues and technology today that weren't even imagined 200 years ago. And no matter how you look at it if one is honest they see it never was 100% perfect even for it's time.

Don't get me wrong it's very good... but it also allowed for slavery so I don't have any problem with seeing it being allowed "some" flexibility for our times.

Anyway, bottom line I think she'll be great. She's got the credentials to be vastly qualified and I like the fact she's both a woman & a minority. I mean women are 52% of the population and yet there's only one woman on the high court... and there's never been a Hispanic.

Seeing more of a mixture tends to make me more comfortable.

I know she believes in justice.

Everyone... Left or Right... has their own experiences and interpretation of things. If they didn't every Supreme Court vote would be unanimous.

Whether it be a strict religious upbringing... or being a woman that understands women's issues a little better everyone brings something a little different to the table. Anyone who says every single judge or justice doesn't is lying. Some may hide it better than others but it's there.

I'm personally one who believes our Constitution has to be looked at with at least some small amount of evolution as major things have occurred with our civilization. There are issues and technology today that weren't even imagined 200 years ago. And no matter how you look at it if one is honest they see it never was 100% perfect even for it's time.

Don't get me wrong it's very good... but it also allowed for slavery so I don't have any problem with seeing it being allowed "some" flexibility for our times.

Anyway, bottom line I think she'll be great. She's got the credentials to be vastly qualified and I like the fact she's both a woman & a minority. I mean women are 52% of the population and yet there's only one woman on the high court... and there's never been a Hispanic.

Seeing more of a mixture tends to make me more comfortable.

BLIND Justice
is very differnt than a persons version of justice based on their up bringing and personal lifestlye exc.

Blind Justice is equal to all without knowing or caring race religion sexual orientation or political opinion

I do not think for a moment she believes in Blind Justice neither does the egg head who appointed her

BLIND Justice
is very differnt than a persons version of justice based on their up bringing and personal lifestlye exc.

Blind Justice is equal to all without knowing or caring race religion sexual orientation or political opinion

I do not think for a moment she believes in Blind Justice neither does the egg head who appointed her

blind justice is fake, there is no such thing, no one can be blind, everyone has bias and takes from there past, if you want someone who have no emotions experiences and no room for any gray,,,vote for a computer...

We have had lots of blind justice, Pandora. We have over-indulged in it. That Progressive you so decry, GW Bush, appointed justices who believed it was blind, and it has been blind. Blind justice allowed slavery, as top gun pointed out. Justice without compassion is heartless.

BLIND Justice

Well you'd put Druggie Limbaugh on the bench and call him blind justice so I'll be quite fine with President Obama's fine pick!:)

I was hoping all along it would be her. In fact my wife called me at work as soon as she heard just to say... honey you were right, he picked the judge from New York!

I'm thinking 2 (hoping for 3) more replacements before it's all said and done. All I can say is... let's BARACK & ROLL!:)

I just hope she does a good job, and does her job as best she can. I know I will not always agree.. and I just wait for the cries of "activist judge" conservitive slang for judge who rules in ways we dont like. of course they love a activist judge who rules for them....I judge who looks at state law and says state law says they can not discriminate against gays, is activist...even if the state law actuly says that and .....the judge who bans it, is a great judge worth praise....they never care how the ruleing was made, if based on sound legal ground...they only care what the outcome is....if they dont like it...ACTIVIST!

I just hope she does a good job, and does her job as best she can. I know I will not always agree.. and I just wait for the cries of "activist judge" conservitive slang for judge who rules in ways we dont like. of course they love a activist judge who rules for them....I judge who looks at state law and says state law says they can not discriminate against gays, is activist...even if the state law actuly says that and .....the judge who bans it, is a great judge worth praise....they never care how the ruleing was made, if based on sound legal ground...they only care what the outcome is....if they dont like it...ACTIVIST!

True, true.

All judges are activists. They actively rule one way or the other.:D Judging is all about ones own interpretation of a particular case. There are thousands of things & circumstances not even begun to be addressed with any insight and clarity whatsoever from 200 years ago.

So Justices interpret what they believe is right in the context of the sometimes vague and even sometimes self conflicting Constitution and other documents along with real modern world realities and how one ruling affects other High Court rulings & precidents... and then they vote their conscience that they are doing what is right.

She's got great credentials & experience on the bench... she was first appointed to the courts by a Republican President and now a Democratic President is appointing her to the High Court... and she's a fighter that can hold her own with the old boys club LOL... she'll do well.

We have had lots of blind justice, Pandora. We have over-indulged in it. That Progressive you so decry, GW Bush, appointed justices who believed it was blind, and it has been blind. Blind justice allowed slavery, as top gun pointed out. Justice without compassion is heartless.

Blind justice did not allow slavery,

those white judges LOOKED at the color of the skin of the slaves and called them less of a person

Blind justice would have never seen skin color and if there were BLIND justice there would have been no slavery at all. Blind justice would not see black or white, it would see men and women and human beings

Well you'd put Druggie Limbaugh on the bench and call him blind justice so I'll be quite fine with President Obama's fine pick!:)

I was hoping all along it would be her. In fact my wife called me at work as soon as she heard just to say... honey you were right, he picked the judge from New York!

I'm thinking 2 (hoping for 3) more replacements before it's all said and done. All I can say is... let's BARACK & ROLL!:)

Druggie limbaugh is no more blind than your cocain smoking president, they are both bias and neither would make a good judge.

Is there anyone Obama could name, who reflects Obama's legal philosophy, that the Conservatives would support?

Well no. Obama's legal philosophy is sick and twisted and against the constitution. He refers to the constitution is a bunch of negative laws.

The woman is not very bright, even left wingers are complaining that she isn’t going to be able to do battle with Roberts and the other conservatives, that’s good news to me.

She is an open racist but what can you expect when an open racist picks a judge who shares his views.

She has the job pretty much no matter what, really better her than some others he could have picked. But conservatives should state clearly why they oppose her so in the future when she is a major screw up the right can say, we didn’t vote for her don’t blame us.

In the end he will get who ever he wants, the Republicans are not going to do a Robert Bork on her, they dont seem to play those sick twisted games like the democrats do.

Well no. Obama's legal philosophy is sick and twisted and against the constitution. He refers to the constitution is a bunch of negative laws.

The woman is not very bright, even left wingers are complaining that she isn’t going to be able to do battle with Roberts and the other conservatives, that’s good news to me.

She is an open racist but what can you expect when an open racist picks a judge who shares his views.

She has the job pretty much no matter what, really better her than some others he could have picked. But conservatives should state clearly why they oppose her so in the future when she is a major screw up the right can say, we didn’t vote for her don’t blame us.

In the end he will get who ever he wants, the Republicans are not going to do a Robert Bork on her, they dont seem to play those sick twisted games like the democrats do.

So you don't care for her then?:D

Good because to the amount you dislike her is an excellent gage to how great she must really be.

I mean hell you like Bush & Palin & Druggie Limbaugh for christ sake.:D

I mean seriously... in the box of dim bulbs your picks aren't even candles.:D

Werbung:
So you don't care for her then?:D

Good because to the amount you dislike her is an excellent gage to how great she must really be.

I mean hell you like Bush & Palin & Druggie Limbaugh for christ sake.

I mean seriously... in the box of dim bulbs your picks aren't even candles.

I like Druggie Limbaugh way more than you like your crack smokin president :)

No, I dont like her, but he could have picked worse. He could have picked someone who thinks like him but is actually smart. She really is not very smart so it will be fun to read her opinions after the fact and use them against her and those who think like her. So in that way she is good. All she is, is a vote against everything I believe in but so was the man before her, its just that he could do it and make a point worth listening to in his opinion, she wont have that.

So nothing changes, except from what I understand she wont say where she stands on abortion, that at least is a bit hopeful for me because its a given that Obama wants someone who is into Infantaside like he himself is and she may not be... so that is at least hopeful :)

Back