1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Obama puts a halt to high white house salaries - whip-crackin' Barack!

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by roomfullofflowers, Jan 22, 2009.

1. roomfullofflowers

roomfullofflowers New Member

What I like about Obama so far is the cap he put on white house salaries: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/President44/story?id=6693901&page=1 I am not as interested in the cap itself as Obama's reasoning behind it - that we need more accountability from and trust in our government - and that information should be made public to us. That it's time for a transformation in government's relationship with the people. I've recently read an essay called Capturing Democracy’s Surge by Stuart Comstock-Gay and Miles Rapoport (from the book Thinking Big) that suggested that none of the changes government CAN make will it be ABLE to make until the faith of the people is restored. I take this to mean that Obama isn't going to get anywhere without using his vast public approval as a tool - and as a seriously ready to be involved member of the public - it's good to see him doing it already.

2. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Seems more like a symbolic gesture. A pay freeze for people earning over $100,000 a year... wow, what a sacrifice. Typically these pay freezes only last a year, and typically a pay increase only happens after a year. So it's likely their pay rate will be unfrozen at the point in which they would normally get a pay increase. In other words, this is all show, and nothing more.

It's not like he cut government pay, which to me would be a big deal. But oooo the horrors... how will they survive on a frozen pay rate over $100K?

The bigger story to me is that there is over $1 Billion dollars just in salaries to the white house staff alone. That's sick.

3. roomfullofflowers

roomfullofflowers New Member

I still think that as a symbolic gesture it is a good one, I feel really wronged by the Bush era and frankly could use all the symbolic gestures I can get. I wish that Obama would go further and institute an Office of Civic Participation to enhance Americans’ participation in government like the one suggested in Thinking Big - I think that this wave of public interest could be harnessed for longterm political involvement by private people. Still - have you seen the new White House website? Pretty snazzy. I feel involved when I read it.

4. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Well-Known Member

....absolutely!