Obama to exempt all 50 states from Federal school testing requirements

Little-Acorn

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/duncan-states-will-get-school-testing-wa

Obama Administration Exempting Schools From Federal Law’s Testing Mandate

Monday, August 08, 2011
by DONNA GORDON BLANKINSHIP, Associated Press

(AP) - State and local education officials have been begging the federal government for relief from student testing mandates in the federal No Child Left Behind law, but school starts soon and Congress still hasn't answered the call.

Education Secretary Arne Duncan says he will announce a new waiver system Monday to give schools a break.

The plan to offer waivers to all 50 states, as long as they meet other school reform requirements, comes at the request of President Barack Obama, Duncan said. More details on the waivers will come in September, he said.
(In other words, we'll have to pass the waivers to find out what's in them. -LA)

The goal of the No Child Left Behind law is to have every student proficient in math and reading by 2014. States have been required to bring more students up to the math and reading standards each year, based on tests that usually take place each spring. The step-by-step ramping up of the 9-year-old law has caused heartburn in states and most school districts, because more and more schools are labeled as failures as too few of their students meet testing goals.

(Note to the Obama administration: The problem isn't that they are being labeled as failures. The problem is that they are failing. They keep turning out students who can barely write their names, can't read a job application, can't add up the change in their pockets. Has anyone stopped to think of the harm this does to the students trying to make it in a civilized world?

Obama is merely offering to remove the labels, instead of fixing the failures.

Gotta love that "leadership", eh? - LA)

Werbung:
No Child Left Behind should have been altered or revamped a long time ago. It was not a very well thought out plan.

One thing is teachers are now teaching to the test rather than teaching to practical application. I think the kids are doing worse under the program not better.

One thing that drives me nuts is teaching introduction of all sorts of math but never mastering any kind of math out side of multiplication tables.

first of all no state is exempt...you have to meet qualifications showing that you are doing something better or to meet the same type of standards...aka states can come up with there own plans...I thought that was something you guys would like...and since no LIberal I know likes no child left behind we all win...it was a dumb plan, and of course a Unfunded mandate from Bush...he was good that that...wars, tax cuts, prescription drugs, no child left behind...come to think of it..did Bush pay for any of his things he did in 8 years?

Intelligence or the ability to learn follows the ubiquitous bell shaped curve. If we dummy down education so that the kids at the bottom end of the curve are not left behind, the kids at the far end of the curve don't realize their full potential.

Some European countries have a better idea where kids are tested and can enter higher levels of education or a trade school depending on their abilities.

Intelligence or the ability to learn follows the ubiquitous bell shaped curve. If we dummy down education so that the kids at the bottom end of the curve are not left behind, the kids at the far end of the curve don't realize their full potential.

Some European countries have a better idea where kids are tested and can enter higher levels of education or a trade school depending on their abilities.

Exactly. Since I am intimately familiar with the European system, if anyone has questions, I'm willing to answer them!

But. . .it works!

Exactly. Since I am intimately familiar with the European system, if anyone has questions, I'm willing to answer them!

But. . .it works!
You're on.
At which age are kids tested? How many levels are there in various countries? I think Germany has three, but I don't really know. What are the levels like?

You're on.
At which age are kids tested? How many levels are there in various countries? I think Germany has three, but I don't really know. What are the levels like?

Okay, it's past midnight here today, but I'll try to answer your questions tomorrow.

I'm not as intimately aware of all European countries' system, although they are all very similar. But I was raised in Belgium, and I still have many (about 35 nephews and nieces and their children) in the school system there. My kids went to school in France, and also in England.

No Child Left Behind should have been altered or revamped a long time ago. It was not a very well thought out plan.

One thing is teachers are now teaching to the test rather than teaching to practical application. I think the kids are doing worse under the program not better.

One thing that drives me nuts is teaching introduction of all sorts of math but never mastering any kind of math out side of multiplication tables.
Exactly. Blaming Obama for another one of GW's screw-ups just makes no sense. It was a bad law for Texas when Governor GW Bush passed it, it was a bad law in America when President GW Bush passed it.

Its a bad piece of legislation. It doesn't work and never will work.

You can't pass laws that repeal gravity or that legislate IQ.

Exactly. Blaming Obama for another one of GW's screw-ups just makes no sense. It was a bad law for Texas when Governor GW Bush passed it, it was a bad law in America when President GW Bush passed it.

So glad you're back with your clear thinking and great common sense!

Educating kids to the lowest common denominator was destined to fail!
Unfair on kids with low IQ, and unfair with kids with high IQ.

Not every kid can be a brain surgeon. . .and if you try to make them what they cannot be, you just sets them up for low self-esteem, discouragement, and failure. By the way, I know every parent would prefer to give birth to a doctor or engineer, but let's face it, we need a lot more plumbers and taxi drivers than we do brain surgeons!

The only real drama is when a kid born with a 140 IQ ends up collecting trash because he/she was born in a poor, uneducated household, and never had a chance to develop or explore his abilities, or is unable to go to College because of lack of funding, while a 100 IQ kid is tutored and pushed and shoved into private schools so that his parents can pay his way to a renown college, where he will painfully, and with lots of "donations" from parents reach a C+ average and graduate with a diploma that will be no more than a "framed picture" in his/her home!

Now. .. that's a pity!

The No Child Left Behind Act was sponsored by Senator Ted Kennedy He also had a hand in writing it with input from John Freaking Kerry (who served in Vietnam) and a few other D's and R's. Bush named it :)

It was bad then, its bad now

But no, obama cannot be blamed for this I am not even sure if he was a State Senator voting present yet when this law passed.

It needs to be fixed. Everyone agrees and no one does anything about it. Typical government!

The No Child Left Behind Act was sponsored by Senator Ted Kennedy He also had a hand in writing it with input from John Freaking Kerry (who served in Vietnam) and a few other D's and R's. Bush named it :)

It was bad then, its bad now

But no, obama cannot be blamed for this I am not even sure if he was a State Senator voting present yet when this law passed.

It needs to be fixed. Everyone agrees and no one does anything about it. Typical government!
"
Legislative history

The legislation was proposed by President George W. Bush on January 23, 2001. It was coauthored by Representatives John Boehner (R-OH), George Miller (D-CA), and Senator Judd Gregg (R-NH). The United States House of Representatives passed the bill on May 23, 2001 (voting 384–45),[6] and the United States Senate passed it on June 14, 2001 (voting 91–8).[7] President Bush signed it into law on January 8, 2002."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Child_Left_Behind_Act

"
Legislative history

The legislation was proposed by President George W. Bush on January 23, 2001. It was coauthored by Representatives John Boehner (R-OH), George Miller (D-CA), and Senator Judd Gregg (R-NH). The United States House of Representatives passed the bill on May 23, 2001 (voting 384–45),[6] and the United States Senate passed it on June 14, 2001 (voting 91–8).[7] President Bush signed it into law on January 8, 2002."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Child_Left_Behind_Act
Pandora may have been joking (I hope). She has a smilie after the sentence.

But you should not quote the communist wikipedia which is all full of lies lies lies. I know that as a fact because I read it someplace on this forum.:D

Werbung:
Pandora may have been joking (I hope). She has a smilie after the sentence.

But you should not quote the communist wikipedia which is all full of lies lies lies. I know that as a fact because I read it someplace on this forum.:D
What has amazed me about the accuracy vs. error rates on Wikipedia is that without fail they are absolutely correct on all of the issues where they are in agreement with my views, yet you are correct... Wikipedia is filled with lies, lies, lies when it comes to the subjects where their"facts" conflict with my own. It is an eerie coincidence I suppose, shared by many, I suspect.

Frankly, the only really reliable source for news and facts is the Onion.

Back