Obamacare--Here's What You Can Expect

I must say that Georgia and South Carolina, as typical Red States do seem like the middle of nowhere, although the Medical College of Georgia is supposed to be one of the best in the US. . .say the red necks!

Oh. . a little update! My husband had a second stroke just 3 weeks ago. He obviously needs to see a neurologist to try to find out what provokes those stroke and the damage done to his brain, as well as a way to maybe prevent further strokes and further damage.

We have been waiting for a referral to the neurologist. It arrived this afternoon. The appointment to SEE this neurologist is scheduled for THE END OF JANUARY 2013!

Let see. . .how many strokes can one have in 3 months?

sorry to hear of this malady. strokes are horrible things.

I gather he was not worked up after the first one. damn shame. a friend had one years ago and younger than normal. they got it figured out and he's been a-ok since. a neuro work up is a good idea especially to guage the effects but not too likely to explain the whys behind the strokes. its the clod of whatever flying through the arteries that winds up in the brain that does the deed. better see a blood guy. my friend had a rare blood disease that causes massive quantities of white blood cells that did him wrong. took actin on this and that fixed it.

may be worth the trip to Atlanta or at least Charleston.

Werbung:
sorry to hear of this malady. strokes are horrible things.

I gather he was not worked up after the first one. damn shame. a friend had one years ago and younger than normal. they got it figured out and he's been a-ok since. a neuro work up is a good idea especially to guage the effects but not too likely to explain the whys behind the strokes. its the clod of whatever flying through the arteries that winds up in the brain that does the deed. better see a blood guy. my friend had a rare blood disease that causes massive quantities of white blood cells that did him wrong. took actin on this and that fixed it.

may be worth the trip to Atlanta or at least Charleston.

Yes, he was "worked up" after the first one. He had surgery two years ago to clear his Left carotid, 6 weeks after he had the first major stroke. He then regain most of his capacities (mostly mental, he never lost any physical capacities). In fact, he was better than he had been in almost 6 years.

Until this stroke, which was "only" a mini stroke, but took him back to the mental capacities of an 8 year old. In the last three weeks, his mental capacities have return. . .to about 90%. But obviously this has changed our life and has been very hard on both of us, but mostly on him. He is a proud, good man, who has a history of extremely productive life and great success due solely to his great intelligence and his hard work. Today, he has a difficult time using his computer. . . while his whole career was as an international director in computer engineering for a major corporation.

Today, I cannot drive because of my shoulder. . .and he is afraid to drive because he loses focus and risks an accident for both of us.

He has a vascular surgeon. A good one. He doesn't have a neurologist and needs one. He may need medication to prevent a fast descent into Alzheimer.

Yes, he was "worked up" after the first one. He had surgery two years ago to clear his Left carotid, 6 weeks after he had the first major stroke. He then regain most of his capacities (mostly mental, he never lost any physical capacities). In fact, he was better than he had been in almost 6 years.

Until this stroke, which was "only" a mini stroke, but took him back to the mental capacities of an 8 year old. In the last three weeks, his mental capacities have return. . .to about 90%. But obviously this has changed our life and has been very hard on both of us, but mostly on him. He is a proud, good man, who has a history of extremely productive life and great success due solely to his great intelligence and his hard work. Today, he has a difficult time using his computer. . . while his whole career was as an international director in computer engineering for a major corporation.

Today, I cannot drive because of my shoulder. . .and he is afraid to drive because he loses focus and risks an accident for both of us.

He has a vascular surgeon. A good one. He doesn't have a neurologist and needs one. He may need medication to prevent a fast descent into Alzheimer.

May want to consider a hematologist as well.
Don't forget that the squeaky wheel gets the grease and there are transportation services everywhere.

May want to consider a hematologist as well.
Don't forget that the squeaky wheel gets the grease and there are transportation services everywhere.

Thank you for the suggestions.
However, you may remember that I am a social worker. . .and very adept at advocating for my clients. . . and obviously for my family.
I also have worked very closely with medical teams in multi-disciplinary meeting groups.
If I can't get help for my husband. . .it because help doesn't exist.

And, My husband still drives, because it would be too much of a loss to refuse him that. So he drives us both and does the best he can. . .and I am scared to death.

Nothing I can't handle.

Thank you for the suggestions.
However, you may remember that I am a social worker. . .and very adept at advocating for my clients. . . and obviously for my family.
I also have worked very closely with medical teams in multi-disciplinary meeting groups.
If I can't get help for my husband. . .it because help doesn't exist.

And, My husband still drives, because it would be too much of a loss to refuse him that. So he drives us both and does the best he can. . .and I am scared to death.

Nothing I can't handle.

best of wishes getting to the bottom of this, as I said, strokes are awful things.

Werbung:
As a person with his own share of chronic and fatal diseases--one must also be aware that there are not instant diagnoses and correct ones in all cases. Medicine is an imperfect art. That does not make one feel any better about it--but it is the reality that you have to face. Sometimes things just happen--cannot be foreseen--and that's it. It's called--end of life scenario. We are not beings who will live ad infinitum. I am in my mid-60's--no complaints--I am already well into "profit" and have lived a life I am reasonably happy with--I never expected to live to be 145. Young people do not think their body will "crap-out" on them--well--it will and in record time as the years go by.

Socialized medicine--all over the world--has chosen to look at anyone--say, over 55--as a "bad bet" and if anyone thinks that it will improve care they are stark raving mad. They all give you opiates and send you home to die. They are not in the business of "throwing good money after bad". That's what "death panels" are all about and if you don't think there will be any--you are a dumb as a brick. Oh sure--they will have another name. People need to get a grip on the temporal quality of life.

On a cold, insensitive basis--it does make some sense--if those decisions HAVE to be made.
And with socialized medicine--those decisions are really what it is all about.
It us about rationing a limited amount of time, effort and expense.
I mean--IT JUST IS. You can PRETEND it isn't.
Not keeping kids with peanut allergies happier.
Whether that is right or wrong or equitable or whatever--is a matter of opinion.

I have "issues" with kidneys--and have removed my name from lists where you can be prioritized to receive transplants should the need arise. Why? Because I would never put myself ahead of a 16-year-old with a serious problem--and neither should anyone else of advanced years. Heart transplants for those over 70 is insane--I understand all the feelings around it and that they "might" live another 20 years. Death is not anything to fear excessively--it WILL occur.
When they call my number--well "thanks for the ride--it was fun".

I have shaken hands with Mr. Death myself--been told I had less than a 40% chance of surviving operations--and--it was not the ton of bricks one might think. More of an--"oh well". I chose humor--your best friend throughout life--if you will let it be. I asked the two surgeons where they went to medical school--one said Notre Dame the other went to Michigan--I replied--"I feel better now--both good football schools!" I think they did just a little better because I made them smile a bit. You get more in life with sugar than vinegar.

I learned early in life that fear of anything--is far worse than the thing itself happening.

Back