Obama's double talk?

Back to proving my point about you not knowing how business works. Let's review... if cost of labor plus materials, is greater than how much the product can be sold for, only an idiot would assume the problem can't be labor costs.

Well you being a kid and me having only owned 2 successful businesses and after selling them off at pretty great profit and having since worked for two large corporations for 7 and 12 years respectively... you obviously are the business wizard comparatively!:confused:

It's the net profit after all gross expenses. That includes all business materials & services, parts, costs of all buildings, utilities and maintenance manufacturing & corporate, transportation, Labor pay & benefits, Management pay & benefits, Executive compensation, benefits & perks and taxes.

Plus your product has to be worth what you need to get out of it. If I'm selling 3 day old bananas and the guy across the street is selling fresh ripe bananas he can naturally get more for his bananas. I can still sell my bananas if I discount them but that cuts into my profit margin.

I'm really glad you brought this up because I was actually working in this very situation today helping my Mother.

Mom has a 1999 Lincoln Continental 79,000 miles and finally is ready to buy a new car. I live right down the road from a Lincoln/Mercury dealership so I took her there today.

On a new loaded 09 Lincoln MKS they were willing to give her $4500 off the sticker price of about $36,700 and give her $5000 for her trade. Total cost after tax, title, doc fee was just shy of $29K. The car was good but owning many great quality cars myself... that car was not great.

We then went to a Lexus Dealership. On a comparable class Lexus the ES350.

The BEST... AND I MEAN VERY BEST THEY WOULD DEAL was on a loaded 08 certified preowned 12K miles. The deal... they'd come down from sticker $33,990 to $32,900 and give her $3500 for her trade. After tax and title the OTD price... around $31,400. BUT this car was freakin AWESOME!!! It was like gliding on a magic carpet compared to the Lincoln.

09 new Lincoln MKS $29K OTD

08 Certified preowned Lexus ES350 $31,400 OTD

The Lincoln was what my Mom originally thought she wanted again... it was less expensive new... it was way more discounted... but it simply was not close in quality for the money.

Mom is buying the 08 Lexus ES350.

Whether you're the cool kid or not you should get this stuff:confused:... better quality sells at a better price point, period.

This is exactly why as The Economist so accurately described American car companies like GM have been loosing US market share big time.

Werbung:
Well you being a kid and me having only owned 2 successful businesses and after selling them off at pretty great profit and having since worked for two large corporations for 7 and 12 years respectively... you obviously are the business wizard comparatively!

I have met many experienced idiots. I suppose the CEO of Bear Stearns, GM, Chrysler, Bank of America, and Country Wide, would all have said back in 2006 or 2007

"Well you being a kid, and me being CEO of a fortune five hundred company, with years of experience, and more money in my pocket than you are likely to earn in your life time... you obviously are the business wizard comparatively!"

Of course where are those CEOs now? Where's their years of experience now? Where's the arrogance now? Even Rick Wagoner who thought he was hot stuff getting that bailout deal done, where is the brilliance now?

Did you know that John Adams, the father of modern free-market capitalism, in his book "The Wealth of Nations" never had one positive word about business people? Not one positive word. He considered them largely ignorant, and rather idiotic about economics. They only know how to do their little tiny bit right, and normally nothing else.

I used to find that confusing, until I met so many liberal idiot business owners. I have actually watched business owners vote for people in local elections, that passed legislation hostile to their businesses. (I worked for one). Then act all shocked and surprised at it. Why? Cause being a business owner doesn't mean jack outside your business.

It's the net profit after all gross expenses. That includes all business materials & services, parts, costs of all buildings, utilities and maintenance manufacturing & corporate, transportation, Labor pay & benefits, Management pay & benefits, Executive compensation, benefits & perks and taxes.

So when GM says they are losing money on the production of a car, they really mean including Executive compensation and benefits?

That sounds plausible, if it were true. But it isn't. How do I know? The CEO and Chairmen at GM agreed to accept $1 a year salary if they got bailout money. Wagoner hasn't been paid a dime since September of last year. Ok.... well maybe a dime :) The point is, has profits suddenly shot up? Nope, their broke. The profit margin on the production of vehicles hasn't changed in the slightest, even with that massively reduced pay.

Ironically, the new CEO of GM, put in place by ObamaCo, refused to take $1 a year. :)

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2009/03/31/new-gm-ceo-wont-cut-his-salary-to-1/

Plus your product has to be worth what you need to get out of it. If I'm selling 3 day old bananas and the guy across the street is selling fresh ripe bananas he can naturally get more for his bananas. I can still sell my bananas if I discount them but that cuts into my profit margin.

I'm really glad you brought this up because I was actually working in this very situation today helping my Mother.

Mom has a 1999 Lincoln Continental 79,000 miles and finally is ready to buy a new car. I live right down the road from a Lincoln/Mercury dealership so I took her there today.

On a new loaded 09 Lincoln MKS they were willing to give her $4500 off the sticker price of about $36,700 and give her $5000 for her trade. Total cost after tax, title, doc fee was just shy of $29K. The car was good but owning many great quality cars myself... that car was not great.

We then went to a Lexus Dealership. On a comparable class Lexus the ES350.

The BEST... AND I MEAN VERY BEST THEY WOULD DEAL was on a loaded 08 certified preowned 12K miles. The deal... they'd come down from sticker $33,990 to $32,900 and give her $3500 for her trade. After tax and title the OTD price... around $31,400. BUT this car was freakin AWESOME!!! It was like gliding on a magic carpet compared to the Lincoln.

09 new Lincoln MKS $29K OTD

08 Certified preowned Lexus ES350 $31,400 OTD

The Lincoln was what my Mom originally thought she wanted again... it was less expensive new... it was way more discounted... but it simply was not close in quality for the money.

Mom is buying the 08 Lexus ES350.

Whether you're the cool kid or not you should get this stuff... better quality sells at a better price point, period.

This is exactly why as The Economist so accurately described American car companies like GM have been loosing US market share big time.

Well, I'm not going to argue about subjective things with you, because... they are subjective. I've seen a few reviews where the Lincoln got higher marks. And others where it didn't, and many where they were about equal. That's largely subjective.

Let's say you are completely right, and the Lincoln is made cheaply. Again, why would a car manufacturer use cheaper materials? Because higher labor costs require cutting the cost of materials to off set that?

How about this... If management cost is the big problem, or part of the problem, are even a small but significant fraction of the problem, then we should be able to determine that by seeing if the unprofitable state is uniform over the entire company.... right?

It's not. GM cars popular and profitable outside U.S.

What? How? How can GM cars be profitable outside the US, but not in the US? Don't they have the same expensive CEO over whole company? Why yes they do. GM CEO is over all those areas too. Yet they post profits, and US factories do not. Why? Same reason why the Chevy Aveo is profitable. It's not made by UAW employees.

It's made in Korea without UAW contracts, and thus has cheaper labor, and therefore lower production cost, and therefore makes a profit. Same with Chevy Europe, which posted a profit last year, and is on track to make a profit this year, even with a decline in sales. Same with GM China, which is posting larger sales, even with a lower profit margin because of smaller selling prices. Same with Australia's GM Holden (their version of Chevy) which is profitable.

Now how can GM post profits, all over the world, even with declining sales, except in one spot, the USA? This isn't that hard. I've mentioned it a dozen times on a dozen posts. Two words, first one starts with "L", and the second word is "cost". It's real simple. I know you can say it. All together now! LABOR COSTS!

Once again, that's the bottom line. That's the end of the story. There's nothing else to be said. The cost of labor is too high.

Andy;92740]I used to find that confusing, until I met so many liberal idiot business owners. I have actually watched business owners vote for people in local elections, that passed legislation hostile to their businesses. (I worked for one). Then act all shocked and surprised at it. Why? Cause being a business owner doesn't mean jack outside your business.

Certainly someone with NO business experiance and raking in a whole 13K per year would be the go to guy... you are the man! I bow to your expertise:D

So when GM says they are losing money on the production of a car, they really mean including Executive compensation and benefits?

That sounds plausible, if it were true. But it isn't. How do I know? The CEO and Chairmen at GM agreed to accept $1 a year salary if they got bailout money. Wagoner hasn't been paid a dime since September of last year. Ok.... well maybe a dime :) The point is, has profits suddenly shot up? Nope, their broke. The profit margin on the production of vehicles hasn't changed in the slightest, even with that massively reduced pay.

Ironically, the new CEO of GM, put in place by ObamaCo, refused to take $1 a year. :)

Again totally out of context information and ignorant of overall relavant facts. They did the top executive pay reduction AFTER they were in the ditch. Car sales have not rebounded to previous levels to provide more profits and this is only one executives compensation package.

Since you brought it up let's look at how well Mr. Wagoner was compensated in 08...

General Motors CEO Rick Wagoner's 2008 compensation valued at $14.9 million
by Tom Krisher | Associated Press
Thursday March 05, 2009, 12:29 PM

General Motors Chairman and Chief Executive Rick Wagoner talks about the company's restructuring plans during a news conference in Detroit on Feb. 17.

DETROIT -- His company lost $30.9 billion last year and it's relying on government loans to stay in business, yet General Motors Corp. CEO Rick Wagoner received a pay package worth $14.9 million in 2008.

Well, I'm not going to argue about subjective things with you, because... they are subjective. I've seen a few reviews where the Lincoln got higher marks. And others where it didn't, and many where they were about equal. That's largely subjective.

OH MY FREAKIN' GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just go drive the cars...

Once again, that's the bottom line. That's the end of the story. There's nothing else to be said. The cost of labor is too high.

Once again Andy the Communist wants American workers in a race to the bottom for compensation.

Truth is when times are good those American workers deserved every damn dime they earned right along with management side.

When times turn bad EVERYBODY must reorganize and incur cuts.

But all the time if your product gets stale the competition will prevail.

Certainly someone with NO business experiance and raking in a whole 13K per year would be the go to guy... you are the man! I bow to your expertise:D

Given the quality of your answers, that's likely a good idea.

Again totally out of context information and ignorant of overall relavant facts. They did the top executive pay reduction AFTER they were in the ditch. Car sales have not rebounded to previous levels to provide more profits and this is only one executives compensation package.

Since you brought it up let's look at how well Mr. Wagoner was compensated in 08...

General Motors CEO Rick Wagoner's 2008 compensation valued at $14.9 million
by Tom Krisher | Associated Press
Thursday March 05, 2009, 12:29 PM

General Motors Chairman and Chief Executive Rick Wagoner talks about the company's restructuring plans during a news conference in Detroit on Feb. 17.

DETROIT -- His company lost $30.9 billion last year and it's relying on government loans to stay in business, yet General Motors Corp. CEO Rick Wagoner received a pay package worth $14.9 million in 2008.

So in your world, when the company loses $30.9 Billion, the problem is a CEO benefit package of $0.0149 Billion. Which, if Wagoner had been stupid enough to work for free and received absolutely no benefits whatsoever, the company would have lost.... <drum roll> $30.9 Billion.

Of course back to the real answer which is, labor costs plus material was greater than the selling price of the car. Again, this is basic business 101. Most OSU grads know this.

BTW, it was more than just the CEO. GM board members also signed off on the $1 dollar salary.

OH MY FREAKIN' GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just go drive the cars...

Other people have. Why do you consider your personal review of greater value than theirs? Of course I'm not going to go drive cars, I've already been in, just to test out your theory. Sorry, you are not that important.

Once again Andy the Communist wants American workers in a race to the bottom for compensation.

Truth is when times are good those American workers deserved every damn dime they earned right along with management side.

When times turn bad EVERYBODY must reorganize and incur cuts.

American workers, like all contractual workers, earn exactly what their contract states. I'm not saying the workers didn't earn what they got. They got a contract, and the were rightfully paid for the contract they got. That doesn't change the fact the contract made labor costs too high for the company to remain profitable. I don't care what the contract says, if the cost of labor is too high for the market, the company goes broke every single time.

Now you can whine and cry about how I want workers to race to the bottom, but the non-unionized workers at Toyota are not losing their jobs. The non-unionized workers at Honda are not losing their jobs. Only the unionized workers at GM and Chrysler are 'racing to the bottom', which is known as unemployment. So go cry and be a drama queen, but the fact is seething stupidity over this subject is what is leading workers to their own termination.

But all the time if your product gets stale the competition will prevail.

And once again, this stupid idea that the cause of the problem is bad products is idiocy. Let's review... GM was the NUMBER ONE AUTO MANUFACTURE IN THE ENTIRE US FOR ALL OF 2008! You can cut the BS any time sparky. Saying it again, doesn't change the fact YOU ARE WRONG.

It's not like the competition is just rolling over GM. Not even close. The down turn is hitting everyone. Honda posted a huge drop in sales, and they are fourth or fifth largest in the US. Their third quarter profits were cut 90%. 90% Sparky! Does that sound like the competition is 'prevailing' to you?

Yet Honda is profitable, selling a fraction of the cars AND declining sales. Why? This isn't hard. It's been mentioned a bunch of times now. Let's repeat it once again. LABOR COSTS.

Andy;92805]Given the quality of your answers, that's likely a good idea.

Hey I think every businessman should take advice from some kid pulling down a whole whopping 13K per year & driving a 1982 Buick... that just makes good sense!:D

So in your world, when the company loses $30.9 Billion, the problem is a CEO benefit package of $0.0149 Billion. Which, if Wagoner had been stupid enough to work for free and received absolutely no benefits whatsoever, the company would have lost.... <drum roll> $30.9 Billion.

Nope. I'm saying Wagoner's job was to make GM successful and he did not. There were a lot of not only Labor but also management employees being over payed and they were also just plain making corporate decision mistakes.

I have no doubt GM will come out of this leaner, greener and meaner. They'll sell off some brands and cut back some receptive brands. Labor, management and plant costs will all be reduced.

Other people have. Why do you consider your personal review of greater value than theirs? Of course I'm not going to go drive cars, I've already been in, just to test out your theory. Sorry, you are not that important.

Hey if you want to know it's as easy as taking a test drive... that's all I'm saying. I remember seeing some reviews back in the day that said the AMC Pacer and Ford Pinto were good cars. Of course they really weren't.

If you haven't driven them then you simply do not know. I have... I did, I do.

Now you can whine and cry about how I want workers to race to the bottom, but the non-unionized workers at Toyota are not losing their jobs. The non-unionized workers at Honda are not losing their jobs.

Oh that's without any doubt! You are anti the American worker and would love to see a race to the bottom because then someone totally unqualified such as yourself might be able to steal a job there making more than 13K per year as you are now.

Just so you know both Toyota and Honda are on a downward profit swing right now and are doing various cutbacks. Toyota has cut some CORPORATE STAFF and Honda is implementing non-paid days off.

And once again, this stupid idea that the cause of the problem is bad products is idiocy.

It's not like the competition is just rolling over GM. Not even close.

WOW you're lack of knowledge is outstanding!:D Only a few short decades ago GM had a 50% market share here in the US. It wasn't long ago they had slipped to a 29% share. NOW LET'S READ A MORE RECENT REPORT AND SEE IF THEY'RE BEING ROLLED OR NOT.

And since even this report Toyota has now overtaken GM. Am I saying going from 50% to 19.1% market share is being rolled... yep I'm pretty much saying that!
;)

GM Market Share Slips Below 20%
By Justin Berkowitz
June 5, 2008

It wasn't all that long ago that GM was focused on maintaining its 29 percent market share. Boy what they wouldn't sell give to be back at that point right now (not including executive pay). Automotive News reporting that GM's market share is below 20 percent for the first time in the company's history (dating back 100 years to 1908). As of May 2008, it's 19.1 percent to be exact. Meanwhile, despite a fall in sales number, Toyota's market share jumped up to 18.4 percent. Count out the impossible-to-count out fleet sales and you can be sure Toyota has passed GM in private market sales. On the positive side, least when GM isn't number one in its home market any more, a lot of the pressure to move the metal at all costs will decrease.

Werbung:
Hey I think every businessman should take advice from some kid pulling down a whole whopping 13K per year & driving a 1982 Buick... that just makes good sense!:D

Sure beats the advice you've given so far. :D

Nope. I'm saying Wagoner's job was to make GM successful and he did not. There were a lot of not only Labor but also management employees being over payed and they were also just plain making corporate decision mistakes.

I have no doubt GM will come out of this leaner, greener and meaner. They'll sell off some brands and cut back some receptive brands. Labor, management and plant costs will all be reduced.

We are trying to determine what caused GM to end up losing $30.9 Billion dollars. Can you claim that a $0.0149 Billion dollar compensation package, caused $30.9 Billion in loses? No you can not. Your stupid theory dies with that point.

As to him not earning his pay, that's fine. That still isn't what caused the problem. What if he only earned $100K last year? That still didn't cause the problem, and they would still have lost $30.9 Billion dollars. Again, your stupid theory bites the dust no matter which dumb way you look at it.

Hey if you want to know it's as easy as taking a test drive... that's all I'm saying. I remember seeing some reviews back in the day that said the AMC Pacer and Ford Pinto were good cars. Of course they really weren't.

Yeah, and I heard VW bugs and mini-buses were good cars in the 60s. Of course those people are still high on drugs and talking about free love even though their children hate them, and have ex-wives dotting the country.

My point wasn't that the MKS was a good car. I just don't care enough either way. My point was that Lincoln is still outselling Lexus, and GM outsold Toyota in the US.

So you can't claim that US cars are all junk, and no one is buying them, which is why they are broke. It just isn't the case.

Oh that's without any doubt! You are anti the American worker and would love to see a race to the bottom because then someone totally unqualified such as yourself might be able to steal a job there making more than 13K per year as you are now.

Just so you know both Toyota and Honda are on a downward profit swing right now and are doing various cutbacks. Toyota has cut some CORPORATE STAFF and Honda is implementing non-paid days off.

So in your world advocating Honda's non-unionized system, which employees 35,600 workers which are not worried about Honda going bankrupt, is somehow "anti the America worker". How completely idiotic. Why don't you tell those American Honda workers, that being "for" them is anti-America. Is this Forest Gump night or something?

Yes I know Toyota and Honda are on a downward profit swing... but they are still profitable. GM is not. What's the difference? One using UAW workers with expensive contracts. The other does not.

WOW you're lack of knowledge is outstanding!:D Only a few short decades ago GM had a 50% market share here in the US. It wasn't long ago they had slipped to a 29% share. NOW LET'S READ A MORE RECENT REPORT AND SEE IF THEY'RE BEING ROLLED OR NOT.

And since even this report Toyota has now overtaken GM. Am I saying going from 50% to 19.1% market share is being rolled... yep I'm pretty much saying that!
;)

GM Market Share Slips Below 20%
By Justin Berkowitz
June 5, 2008

It wasn't all that long ago that GM was focused on maintaining its 29 percent market share. Boy what they wouldn't sell give to be back at that point right now (not including executive pay). Automotive News reporting that GM's market share is below 20 percent for the first time in the company's history (dating back 100 years to 1908). As of May 2008, it's 19.1 percent to be exact. Meanwhile, despite a fall in sales number, Toyota's market share jumped up to 18.4 percent. Count out the impossible-to-count out fleet sales and you can be sure Toyota has passed GM in private market sales. On the positive side, least when GM isn't number one in its home market any more, a lot of the pressure to move the metal at all costs will decrease.

So in your world, being the top number 1 brand in the US, and by a large margin means "competition is just rolling over GM" simply because they don't have 50% of the market? Or simply because they only have 20% now?

I don't think I believe you actually built or ran a business anymore. This is like high school student logic. Are you really a pimple covered teenager still living at home?

I mean, if anyone else said that GM was 'being crushed by the competition" when they were number one in the US, and the second largest auto maker on the planet... they'd be laughed off the forum... yet you think that makes sense. Just like the $14 million executive pay is causing the $30.9 billion loses. This is just juvenile. I'd get better arguments walking around a middle school.

Back