One leetle problem with Sept. 7 Joint Session of Cong - ASIDE from the Repub debate

Little-Acorn

President Obama has called for a Joint Session of Congress on Sept, 7 at 8:00 PM Eastern time, so that he can make a speech to them about jobs.

Many have already pointed out that this is the date for the debate among Republican candidates for President, and speculated that Obama is trying to divert attention from it... and especially from newly-declared Rick Perry, who will be in these debates for the first time that night.

But there's another leetle problem.

To accept a President's call for a Joint Session, each house of Congress must write up a resolution to that effect, debate it, pass it, and reconcile any differences; and finally send it to the President.

The problem: The House is currently out of session. And they won't be back until... you guessed it... Sept. 7. At 6:30 PM.

It takes many hours for even the simplest resolutions to go thru the above steps. Pretty much impossible for the House to do its part in approving a Joint Session.

John Boehner just sent him a letter, pointing this out:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2011/aug/31/boehner-obama-joint-session-date-no/

Pretty hard for me to believe that the President of the United States didn't know this... or at least didn't have people around him to inform him of the fact BEFORE he made the official call.

So... why did the President call for that particular time and date, knowing it couldn't be done (even if no concurrent debates were scheduled)?

Very weird.

Werbung:
Re: One leetle problem with Sept. 7 Joint Session of Cong - ASIDE from the Repub deba

He asked for the date knowing it was not available because he didn't care to meet.
He cared that it LOOKED like he wanted to meet.

The sad part is that people will buy into it, some are still drinking the juice (his words not mine)

Re: One leetle problem with Sept. 7 Joint Session of Cong - ASIDE from the Repub deba

President Obama has called for a Joint Session of Congress on Sept, 7 at 8:00 PM Eastern time, so that he can make a speech to them about jobs.

Many have already pointed out that this is the date for the debate among Republican candidates for President, and speculated that Obama is trying to divert attention from it... and especially from newly-declared Rick Perry, who will be in these debates for the first time that night.

But there's another leetle problem.

To accept a President's call for a Joint Session, each house of Congress must write up a resolution to that effect, debate it, pass it, and reconcile any differences; and finally send it to the President.

The problem: The House is currently out of session. And they won't be back until... you guessed it... Sept. 7. At 6:30 PM.

It takes many hours for even the simplest resolutions to go thru the above steps. Pretty much impossible for the House to do its part in approving a Joint Session.

John Boehner just sent him a letter, pointing this out:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2011/aug/31/boehner-obama-joint-session-date-no/

Pretty hard for me to believe that the President of the United States didn't know this... or at least didn't have people around him to inform him of the fact BEFORE he made the official call.

So... why did the President call for that particular time and date, knowing it couldn't be done (even if no concurrent debates were scheduled)?

Very weird.

You are kidding me. Neither the House nor the Senate is in recess. Both are in session. We know that because Republicans made sure to do that little trick to make sure President Obama couldn't make any interim appointments while they were off on vacationing for a full month and complaining about President Obama taking off a week and a half.

In other words, once again the Republicans are lying out their blow holes. like beached whales.

You are kidding me. Neither the House nor the Senate is in recess. Both are in session. We know that because Republicans made sure to do that little trick to make sure President Obama couldn't make any interim appointments while they were off on vacationing for a full month and complaining about President Obama taking off a week and a half.

In other words, once again the Republicans are lying out their blow holes. like beached whales.

My congressman is here in Oregon on August recess, yours is still in Washington?
He isn't sure obama can get re elected either
EDITORIAL: A break in the ranks
DeFazio says the president needs to show more “fight”

Published: (Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 05:01AM) Midnight, Aug. 21

Peter DeFazio may be guilty of saying what a lot of Democrats are thinking, but he’s right.

In a Wednesday interview on KGW-TV, Oregon’s 4th District congressman said if President Obama faces a Republican nominee next fall “who is a little bit toward the middle of the road, ... he’s going to have a very tough time getting re-elected.”

Some might view such talk by a member of a president’s own party as political heresy. But DeFazio, who is talking to Oregon voters during Congress’ August recess, said “people are shaking their head and saying, ‘I don’t know if I’d vote for him again.’ ”

Obama won 28 states in 2008. He got the majority of votes in 13 of Oregon’s 36 counties and captured 57 percent of the vote statewide, compared with 53 percent nationwide. He won 54 percent of the 4th District vote.

DeFazio has crossed swords with Obama several times since the election, but he’s never been blunt publicly about the president’s chances of winning a second term. The reason, he said, is the president’s recent “flip-flops” in negotiations with Republicans over the federal debt-ceiling issue, chiding that “fight” doesn’t seem to be “a word in his vocabulary.”

Other congressional Democrats have grumbled about Obama’s seeming inability to stand up to the GOP, in particular its gaggle of tea party freshmen in the House. Now that sentiment seems to be gaining ground among Obama supporters.

The hour is getting late, but the president still has a year before the 2012 Democratic National Convention to show some of the backbone he’s lacked in his first three years in office.

http://www.registerguard.com/web/opinion/26735980-47/president-obama-defazio-oregon-percent.html.csp

My congressman is here in Oregon on August recess, yours is still in Washington?

Thats the game the Republicans are playing. Congress is still officially in session. They meet every few days. Remember the Senate meeting after the earthquake? Something like 5 Senators, and the session was clocked at 22 seconds. But that is enough to mean they are officially in session.

Here is the House's August 30th schedule (4 minutes):

CURRENT HOUSE FLOOR PROCEEDINGS
LEGISLATIVE DAY OF AUGUST 30, 2011
112TH CONGRESS - FIRST SESSION

11:04 A.M. - The Speaker announced that the House do now adjourn pursuant to sections 3 and 4 of H. Res. 375. The next meeting is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. on September 2, 2011.
11:03 A.M. - DISPENSING WITH LEGISLATIVE BUSINESS - Pursuant to section 4 of H. Res. 375, the Chair announced that no legislative business would be conducted on this day.
11:02 A.M. - PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE - The Chair led the House in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag. APPROVAL OF THE JOURNAL - Pursuant to section 5 of H. Res. 375, the Chair announced that the Journal of the last days' proceedings was approved.

11:01 A.M. - Today's prayer was offered by Reverend William George, S.J., Archdiocese of Washington, Washington, DC.
11:00 A.M. - The Speaker designated the Honorable Steve Stivers to act as Speaker pro tempore for today. The House convened, starting a new legislative day.
[/SIZE]http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.aspx

Thats the game the Republicans are playing. Congress is still officially in session. They meet every few days. Remember the Senate meeting after the earthquake? Something like 5 Senators, and the session was clocked at 22 seconds. But that is enough to mean they are officially in session.

Here is the House's August 30th schedule (4 minutes):

CURRENT HOUSE FLOOR PROCEEDINGS
LEGISLATIVE DAY OF AUGUST 30, 2011
112TH CONGRESS - FIRST SESSION

11:04 A.M. - The Speaker announced that the House do now adjourn pursuant to sections 3 and 4 of H. Res. 375. The next meeting is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. on September 2, 2011.
11:03 A.M. - DISPENSING WITH LEGISLATIVE BUSINESS - Pursuant to section 4 of H. Res. 375, the Chair announced that no legislative business would be conducted on this day.
11:02 A.M. - PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE - The Chair led the House in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag. APPROVAL OF THE JOURNAL - Pursuant to section 5 of H. Res. 375, the Chair announced that the Journal of the last days' proceedings was approved.

11:01 A.M. - Today's prayer was offered by Reverend William George, S.J., Archdiocese of Washington, Washington, DC.
11:00 A.M. - The Speaker designated the Honorable Steve Stivers to act as Speaker pro tempore for today. The House convened, starting a new legislative day.
[/SIZE]http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.aspx

Well, my crappy congressman is a democrat and he is running around saying he is on a recess! I have another good reason not to vote for him :) He is a liar!!

I just checked my email and obama sent out this The email was titled 'Frustrated' below is the email I will reply and tell Defazio to get his butt back to DC :)

Crystal --

Today I asked for a joint session of Congress where I will lay out a clear plan to get Americans back to work. Next week, I will deliver the details of the plan and call on lawmakers to pass it.

Whether they will do the job they were elected to do is ultimately up to them.

But both you and I can pressure them to do the right thing. We can send the message that the American people are playing by the rules and meeting their responsibilities -- and it's time for our leaders in Congress to meet theirs.

And we must hold them accountable if they don't.

So I'm asking you to stand with me in calling on Congress to step up and take action on jobs:

http://my.barackobama.com/Time-To-Act

No matter how things go in the weeks and months ahead, this will be an important challenge for our organization.

It's been a long time since Congress was focused on what the American people need them to be focused on.

I know that you're frustrated by that. I am, too.

That's why I'm putting forward a set of bipartisan proposals to help grow the economy and create jobs -- that means strengthening our small businesses, giving needed breaks to middle-class families, while taking responsible steps to bring down our deficit.

I'm asking lawmakers to look past short-term politics and take action on that plan. But we've got to do this together.

I will deliver this message to Congress next week, but I'm asking you to stand alongside me today:

http://my.barackobama.com/Time-To-Act

More to come,

Barack

Well, my crappy congressman is a democrat and he is running around saying he is on a recess! I have another good reason not to vote for him :) He is a liar!!
No, he's not lying. John Boehner sent him and the othe Representatives home. No business is being conducted, but they are drawing their paychecks.

Your Representative has no say in the matter. It is decided by John Boehner.

If you want to get angry, get angry with the Republican leadership who is playing these silly-ass games and then trying to lay it all off on Obama for taking 10 days off.

No, he's not lying. John Boehner sent him and the othe Representatives home. No business is being conducted, but they are drawing their paychecks.

Your Representative has no say in the matter. It is decided by John Boehner.

If you want to get angry, get angry with the Republican leadership who is playing these silly-ass games and then trying to lay it all off on Obama for taking 10 days off.

Well, they have always had an August recess? If it was something new or different then I can see getting mad

Do you remember last August? when the dems were in control and when the congressmen came home the people rallied against them and obama care? Some congressmen refused to even have town hall meetings, but they stayed home and got paid for it

Well, they have always had an August recess? If it was something new or different then I can see getting mad

Do you remember last August? when the dems were in control and when the congressmen came home the people rallied against them and obama care? Some congressmen refused to even have town hall meetings, but they stayed home and got paid for it

you mean like Republicans now after the debt ceiling no compromise until we get degraded ...also our year of not doing a damn thing for jobs? Funny don't see them out at many town halls these days...

you mean like Republicans now after the debt ceiling no compromise until we get degraded ...also our year of not doing a damn thing for jobs? Funny don't see them out at many town halls these days...

Republicans have been in charge of the house and the house alone for not even 7 months? Not sure what they can do in that time and especially when the democrats in the senate refuse to accept anything they do

democrats on the other hand were in charge of the house and senate since 2007 and never even passed a budget, the only thing they did was obama care.. and that is a miserable disaster!

November is coming so maybe the dems can get back everything, part of me wishes they will.. I don't want anyones fingerprints on the nightmare state our country is going to be in on voting day for the next presidential election except for obama and his minions.

Republicans have been in charge of the house and the house alone for not even 7 months? Not sure what they can do in that time and especially when the democrats in the senate refuse to accept anything they do

democrats on the other hand were in charge of the house and senate since 2007 and never even passed a budget, the only thing they did was obama care.. and that is a miserable disaster!

November is coming so maybe the dems can get back everything, part of me wishes they will.. I don't want anyones fingerprints on the nightmare state our country is going to be in on voting day for the next presidential election except for obama and his minions.

Republicans filibustered every single thing they tried..nice try.

Werbung:

Republicans filibustered every single thing they tried..nice try.

there wasn't enough of them in the house and the senate you had 3 of them in your pocket, pocket!

the maine twins snowe and collins and good old arlen spector the democratic republican and for god sakes mccain was a liberal republican as well

Back