1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Pakistan to defend borders against US military incursions

Discussion in 'Middle Eastern Politics' started by The Scotsman, Sep 12, 2008.

1. The Scotsman

The Scotsman Well-Known Member

What a clusterf*ck....who needs Osama Bin Laden as a force to rally behind!!?? :rolleyes:

2. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

It does not matter, this statement is all for show. They are not going cross into Afghanistan to fight the US (maybe a few, but not the majority), and they are unable to stop tactical air strikes and special forces operations for the most part.

Meaningless comments by tribal leaders just to show they condemn the attacks, but not much else comes of this in my view

3. The Scotsman

Rob I think the point is that these tactics are alienating a strategic ally!

Do you think it is DOD strategy to test the resolve of the new Prime Minister or even to undermine him?

If this is the official assessment then having Pakistan lining up with the Taliban is frankly insane and I doubt that ISAF comanders are happy with this development!

4. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Well-Known Member

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
    God for them, way to stand up for your borders....now turn around and if you really want to fight the war on terror with us, do it, or shut up and we will do it for you. You can cry to look good for your people, but you let them hide out there, and we will kill them. suck it up Pakistan.

Love your liberal Hippie friend
    Pocket.

5. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

The Pakistani government does not control these tribal regions... Outside of a brief flap in public opinion, I do not see it as alienating an ally. Pakistan is a good ally when they want to be, and a thorn in our side when they want to be. With Zardari in, I think losing a little popular support is fine, as long as the government on a whole maintains its mostly pro-American stance.

I do not think it is DOD strategy to test or undermine the new PM. I think they are banking that he can maintain his power even with these operations being run.

I disagree that this will cause Pakistan to "line up with the Taliban" as well. This area of Pakistan is not really controlled by the government and they line up with whoever they please. It is not their public opinion that will make or break Zardari in my view.

I think it is a gamble on the part of the US, but one that is well-timed. With Musarreff out, Iraq going much better, and the domestic Pakistani situation a bit different from a few years ago, I think now is the time to gamble and if you find an extremist in Pakistan, he should be taken out. Now if this upsets the balance to far within the rest of Pakistan, which I think it would have under Musarreff and previous conditions, I think the policy needs to be reevaluated should this be the case.

6. The Scotsman

Apparently there are rumours circulating through the Northern Army Corps in Pakistan that orders are going to be issued to attack US forces and Aircraft operating over border operations into Pakistan from Afghanistan - these are apparently coming out of the Military Comanders Conference taking place at the moment.

If true I'll try and post the link. Its interesting though as if these rumours are true then the civil authorities may be losing control of the military.

7. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

That is just it though, we do not have to fly a plane into the area to actually carry out an airstrike. Also, the special forces that operate in the area are trained not to get caught. I would still assume that this really does not mean much, other than the new PM perhaps making a political show for his domestic constituency...

8. GenSeneca

GenSeneca Well-Known Member

Very well said... :)
    [​IMG]

9. pocketfullofshells

what can I say , us liberals are suck pussies when it comes to defense I am told so often :) Oddly no one has even been able to say that to my face and not look like a **** about 2 min later when I am done with them :)

10. The Scotsman

That's pretty much what the moderate commanders in the PakDef are trying to do, however, they have a very hard time convincing the more hardliners not only in Government but also within the ISI and the Military that joint operations with the US are the best route IF the US is carrying out operations in Pakistan. Would you feel comfortable with Mexican troops launching raids into the US in search of drug smugglers, killing a few schmucks that got in the way and them turning round and saying "....well homs eeez tough sheeeet on them Hah hah!"

I think not! :D

In general terms though I agree with your sentiments. It is the ability to maintain the momentum of popular support at home that will encourage the fight against the Taliban in both Afghanistan and in Pakistan. ISAF forces are kicking ass as they say, but the Taliban are very good insurgency fighters and as long as the constant drip of flag draped coffins does not unnerve the people then within about 5-10 years the job should be done?

The job would be easier though if allies remained allies!

11. Dawkinsrocks

Dawkinsrocks Well-Known Member

The US' foreign policy is the number one recruiter for Al Qaeda

12. Libsmasher

Libsmasher New Member

The US is also the number one killer of al qaeda - bring 'em on.

13. pocketfullofshells

Ally who does not help you is not worth much though.

14. pocketfullofshells

says the man who does not have to risk his life to do anything about them....

15. The Scotsman

Soldiers Have Orders to Fire on U.S. Troops If Incursions Continue

........my sources are quicker than the WSJ!! :cool: