Palin: An Alaskans Perspective

Bunz

A side note: I have been meaning to write this for a few days. I have been exceptionally busy the last 2 weeks due to the begining of various hunting seasons. I have a mixed view of Governor Palin. I will do my best to keep my posts objective and it is meant to be an observation of knowing and dealing with Sarah on several different levels over the last 20 years.

It was with astonishment that I heard news of the announcement of Palin being nominated as the GOP Vice President. Considering the timing, I was shocked. I have read as many of the posts here as I could concerning Sarah and I have noticed some outrageous things said on both sides and the national media hasnt been much better, but they havnt even scratched the surface yet.

I think overall, to this point, at least until about August 1st, I approved of her job. There were several events in August outside of the VP hype that soured me. Her pick as VP has ensured my support for Obama for several reasons, but has ensured that Alaska will swing to McCain, whereas before that was not a foregone conclusion.

The positives: She is young, fresh, and easy on the eyes. She doesnt have a national following yet to speak of, people are generally open minded about her. Though I dont buy the idea that she will win over any Hillary supporters. The two are on opposite ends of the spectrum on social policies. She in her viewpoints would be considered the poster child of the right, but in her actions the Princess of liberal feminists.

The negatives: She is a hardliner on RvW, she would be much more effective in swaying independant and dem females if she was more moderate.
She is very inexperienced overall. Her Executive experience is way overblown. Her time as Mayor of Wasilla was marked by questionable decision making by the city government and it needs to be known that Wasilla at the time was about 6,000 people, and operated by a City Manager. She was by no means in City Hall running the daily operations. She has been the Governor of Alaska a rather short period of time, and elected through some very unique circumstances(which I know luck is very much in play in politics to the effect on both sides)

Overall, McCain picking her has only secured one thing, victory of three electoral votes in November that could have gone the Obama way. It is likely Alaska will be changing 2 of 3 Congressional seats to the Democrat side, despite the Palin news.

Overall though, I seriously question judgement from both McCain and Palin on the selection. I want to know what McCain was thinking when he decided to choose her. Ultimately it is a gamble that will either win or lose him the election. She is the most unqualified by yet viable candidate in the running. It was widely considered that she was out of the running a month ago, and considering her approval ratings were begining to unravel on her over TrooperGate, her public endorsement on a ballot measure, and her AGIA policies have punched some serious holes in her Alaskan approval rates from both sides of the issue.

Ultimately, she has made herself into a national celebrity, she has zero idea what she is in for from the media and Washington DC in general. Trust me when I say there is lots more news to come out about her. Bristol being pregnant has been an open secret in Wasilla for 6 weeks now.

There might be a time when Sarah is ready for prime time, considering the job she already has, and her other obligations, I question her priorities in accepting at this point. Although, I think this might just be the stepping off point for a future run through DC. But I dont think she will be on the winning ticket come November.

Werbung:
I think McCain picked her because she was like him in the way of going against the party when you thought you should.
also for her right to life..... that is very important to the base

and because she is more on the outside of washington politics than inside.

her experience probably is over blown but it still at the least equals obamas and she is running for a lesser job than Obama.

thanks for the info on her. I have a few friends in Alaska, but all are R so its nice to hear another point of view.

Again with the "young, fresh" adjectives applied to Obama. I have no idea what the "fresh" means, and there's no rational reason to say "young" is better than "Old" per se. Sure, duhhhhhh, she won't get the votes of any hard-core abortionist feminazis, but there very well might be a group of independent women who would have voted for hillary, having shunned Obama's leftwing extremism - those people might vote for McCain/Palin. The comment about her inexperience continues to make me laugh. However she got to be governor, she does have 20 months experience as a high EXECUTIVE in government, as opposed to Obama's zero. I personally am underwhelmed by the criticisms - the double standard of the lib media toward her versus Obama is breath-taking: for several days, they've practically had their hair on fire about her daughter being pregnant, but Obama's hard drug habits and his connection with racists and terrorist bombers was never brought up by the lib media. (They belatedly delved delicately into the Rev. Wright issue after it had been widely commented on in alternative media and they could no longer ignore it - this is exactly how it happened with sleeze ball Gov. Edwards and his adulterous affairs.)

I expected to hear something more concrete from you about "troopergate" - in the absence of that, from other sources in alaska (eg the state trooper internal investigation) it appears that it amounts to nothing more than a state trooper who did such things as engage in death threats was fired, and a person who was a loser in the governership race has launched a politically motivated investigation.

I think McCain picked her because she was like him in the way of going against the party when you thought you should.
also for her right to life..... that is very important to the base

and because she is more on the outside of washington politics than inside.
Certainly I generally understand the reasoning behind him choosing Palin. I am just not sure if it was the correct pick to win in November. I will be watching her speech tonight to see how she does. I have seen her crumble under pressure and her public speaking suffer for it. I wish her the best tonight, because it is the biggest speech of her life to this point. She absolutely needs to nail it.

her experience probably is over blown but it still at the least equals obamas and she is running for a lesser job than Obama.

thanks for the info on her. I have a few friends in Alaska, but all are R so its nice to hear another point of view.
Dont get me wrong Obamanation, I think overall she has done a good job as Governor. I dont agree with a few moves, but generally approve. My recent displeasure with her job performance deals with her statements about a recent failed ballot measure put in place to attempt development of Pebble Mine. But to simply consider political experience between the two, there is no question someone serving as a state lawmaker would have more influence than a small mayor, and being a US Senator vastly trumps being Governor of Alaska.

Again with the "young, fresh" adjectives applied to Obama. I have no idea what the "fresh" means, and there's no rational reason to say "young" is better than "Old" per se. Sure, duhhhhhh, she won't get the votes of any hard-core abortionist feminazis, but there very well might be a group of independent women who would have voted for hillary, having shunned Obama's leftwing extremism - those people might vote for McCain/Palin. The comment about her inexperience continues to make me laugh. However she got to be governor, she does have 20 months experience as a high EXECUTIVE in government, as opposed to Obama's zero. I personally am underwhelmed by the criticisms - the double standard of the lib media toward her versus Obama is breath-taking: for several days, they've practically had their hair on fire about her daughter being pregnant, but Obama's hard drug habits and his connection with racists and terrorist bombers was never brought up by the lib media. (They belatedly delved delicately into the Rev. Wright issue after it had been widely commented on in alternative media and they could no longer ignore it - this is exactly how it happened with sleeze ball Gov. Edwards and his adulterous affairs.)
The moment I heard of her announcement I knew it would be a media frenzy for awhile until something else popped up. But in the meantime, the American people need to get to know Governor Palin, and that includes her family. Of which there is still a considerable amount of information to come out.

I expected to hear something more concrete from you about "troopergate" - in the absence of that, from other sources in alaska (eg the state trooper internal investigation) it appears that it amounts to nothing more than a state trooper who did such things as engage in death threats was fired, and a person who was a loser in the governership race has launched a politically motivated investigation.
Ah Trooper Gate...well there is an investigation ongoing, so until the results of that come out, I have somewhat of an open mind. There are a few key questions that need to be answered. There was obviously pressure put onto a few key people in the DPS by a few other key people. It is known Todd spoke with Monegan(which is unprecedented and not the place of the First Dude in the slightest. The other was one of her aides caught on tape putting pressure on a Lt. about getting rid of Wooten. While it sounds like the law wasnt necessarily broken, I want to know what Sarah said and to who in terms of making these contacts about Wooten. At the very least, there has been an attempt to interfere with departmental operations for thier own personal gain, which while it may not be illegal, it certainly is an abuse of power in my book, and among lots of Alaskans. She is being forthcoming to this point, but I am curious as to how this turns out. It could be nothing, but where there is smoke.....

Its a damn shame the Media doesn't, hasn't and will not scrutinize Obama and his family with the same level of scrutiny Palin and her family are receiving....

Of course, if they had done that... Obama would NOT be the Nominee - Hillary would.

I liked your assessment Bunz!

As an impartial "pesky foreigner" I think sometimes in politics a fresh face is certainly needed to...well in this case I guess.... provide impetus to a campaign, lets face it this is a party which has to shake off "baggage". The Republicans have Bush "baggage" which needs to be detached in order to make them look fresh and reinvigorated especially to those who are as yet undecided. Whilst I agree with you that Palin has many short comings (I'm not interested in the least with her private life and that of her family) and indeed may well be short on experience, yet I think she will completement McCain nicely!

The phrase is becoming a bit hackneyed nonetheless I think remains valid that she is a maverick washington outsider which is what McCain has to some extent been as well. Personally some of her positions on say Abortion and her tacit politicisation of religion I find distasteful but that is what some Republicans want to hear!

You make some very valid points but I still think she makes a good Republican party running mate for McCain. Who knows she may even lose them the election ;)

Like Bunz, I have been gone for a while, and so haven't read the threads about Palin.

I was amazed by the choice, but, then, McCain is a shrewd politician who isn't going to name a VP who will hurt his chances.

For one thing, she is beyond question female. That alone will gain him some, though not many, of the Hillary votes. Her stance on abortion will alienate most of that portion of the electorate, but might bring back another demographic: The Christian right.
Still, having named her is a gamble on the part of the McCain forces. He has weakened the biggest argument for his side other than party and ideology, which is experience. The possibility of a VP who has taken over from an aging and perhaps ailing president, and who has no real executive experience, must give some pause to those who object to Obama on that account.

Much of what I've heard from the newsies and pundits have revolved around peripheral and, in my opinion, irrelevant issues about her family and her pregnant daughter. I don't necessarily agree with Obama on most issues, but on the idea that the children need to be off limits, I totally agree, except for one nagging question:

How in the world can anyone take care of five children and still do a good job at a demanding task? Sure, if she remains VP, that is at best a part time job. If McCain doesn't make it for the next four years, taking care of a family and the White House would be difficult to say the least.

I'm still waiting for the ad contrasting Obama's statement about not wanting his teenage daughter punished by having a baby, and Palin's support for her own daughter. That is an irrelevant issue, of course, but I'll be surprised if the McCain camp doesn't try to garner support from it.

He has weakened the biggest argument for his side other than party and ideology, which is experience. The possibility of a VP who has taken over from an aging and perhaps ailing president, and who has no real executive experience, must give some pause to those who object to Obama on that account.

Is LYING in the genes of Obamabots???? Get it CLEAR - she is the governor, for 20 months, of the largest state. Obama has ZERO executive experience.

Its a damn shame the Media doesn't, hasn't and will not scrutinize Obama and his family with the same level of scrutiny Palin and her family are receiving....
Huh? The media has been all over Obama for the last year. Scrutinizing everything he says, and being critical of his family. Palin just came onto the national spotlight less than a week ago and there needs to be some catch up. Trust me when I say this, there is much more to know about the Palins. Good and negative. But either way, most people outside of Alaska or political circles had never even heard of her. Her scrutiny has been minimal compared to the other candidates. Hell her vetting was certainly done on the fast track.

Of course, if they had done that... Obama would NOT be the Nominee - Hillary would.
See, I disagree. Obama is the nominee because he won the process as laid out before hand. Speaking for myself and certainly there are others who agree, but I did not want another Clinton in the WH. That is why she didnt win the nomination.

Is LYING in the genes of Obamabots???? Get it CLEAR - she is the governor, for 20 months, of the largest state. Obama has ZERO executive experience.

Is overstatement, hype, and silliness in the genes of the McCaniacs?

"largest state" lol Geographically, yes, it is the largest. So?

Oh, yes, and I've never claimed to be an Obama supporter. Is it in the genes of the Republican party loyalists to support whatever their party does, regardless of ideology, practicality, or reality, and to see anyone who criticizes "their team" as being on the "other side"?

Or, does that describe party loyalists by definition?

Well I like her, and I am glad McCain picked her. I was not happy about the McCain ticket but I am happy now and Ill send him money.

The more people attack her, and her family the more I will like her and the more I will support her.

I would change my mind if I found out she was funneling money to her husbands work to get him a higher pay like 300 thousand dollars a year higher, or if I found out she supported killing children or if I found out she had ties with terrorists, or if I found out she was racist and spent years of her life exposing her children to horrific anti americanism and racism,

if I find she does any of those things I will drop her flat, but for now I like her and I think the people attacking her are doing it because she is a threat to their lord god obama the messiah of the liberals

Much of what I've heard from the newsies and pundits have revolved around peripheral and, in my opinion, irrelevant issues about her family and her pregnant daughter. I don't necessarily agree with Obama on most issues, but on the idea that the children need to be off limits
I also agree, but to a point. But she also has made her children and family part of her platform. So one must take the negatives with the positives. The news about her daughter should otherwise be a non-issue except it should be another nail in the coffin about the whole abstinence only education issue. It also raises the next question that you already raised...
I totally agree, except for one nagging question:
How in the world can anyone take care of five children and still do a good job at a demanding task? Sure, if she remains VP, that is at best a part time job. If McCain doesn't make it for the next four years, taking care of a family and the White House would be difficult to say the least.
I would disagree that being VP is a part time job. It certainly is a full time job. As mentioned before there is the Senate President role, but also the daily briefings, and various public appearances etc. While it might not be as tasking as President. It certainly is more than 40 hours a week.

I also agree, but to a point. But she also has made her children and family part of her platform. So one must take the negatives with the positives. The news about her daughter should otherwise be a non-issue except it should be another nail in the coffin about the whole abstinence only education issue. It also raises the next question that you already raised...

I would disagree that being VP is a part time job. It certainly is a full time job. As mentioned before there is the Senate President role, but also the daily briefings, and various public appearances etc. While it might not be as tasking as President. It certainly is more than 40 hours a week.

what do you mean "she also has made her children and family part of her platform"

She was introduced with McCain and her family was there, she spoke of her life that includes her family, other than that I am not sure what you mean?

Obama uses his wife and kids constantly in his "who I am and what I am about" but no one expects his kids should be attacked

Werbung:
Well I like her, and I am glad McCain picked her. I was not happy about the McCain ticket but I am happy now and Ill send him money.

The more people attack her, and her family the more I will like her and the more I will support her.
Well just wait, there is plenty more skeletons to come out.
I would change my mind if I found out she was funneling money to her husbands work to get him a higher pay like 300 thousand dollars a year higher
Well, something to keep in mind is that she is supporting development of Pebble Mine. Which her Mother in Law owns the largest hardware store in the region and is already indirectly funneling potentially millions if not more to that business.
or if I found out she supported killing children or if I found out she had ties with terrorists, or if I found out she was racist and spent years of her life exposing her children to horrific anti americanism and racism
She certainly has exposed them to racism among its worst forms in this state. And was Mayor of the community that was/is a hot bed for racial tension in this state.
if I find she does any of those things I will drop her flat, but for now I like her and I think the people attacking her are doing it because she is a threat to their lord god obama the messiah of the liberals
With such little known about her outside of Alaska, the hits will only continue and get worse. Which as a personal note, and having known Todd, Sarah and family for a long time, Id rather not get thier names dragged through the mud, but she just went from the minor leagues to the World Series.

Back