Palin guilty of abuse of power

Bottom line IMO..YAWN Compared to ACORNs activities, all the mobster/terrorist ties, this is nothing!
See, I am convinved that minds are made up in general about this election at this point. I doubt much of anything can change minds short of being found guilty of a crime.

This is a big deal, and pretty big black mark for her in Alaska.

Werbung:
Firstly, how the McCain campaign completely hijacked the Alaska Dept of Justice, and why the subpeonas where ignored for so long. When they new from the start that they were legit.

What evidence do you claim supports this? I have been mildly trying to follow this, just to see if there is anything to it. Thus far I have not seen anything that supports this view.

Secondly, the vindictive nature of how the Palin's have conducted themselves towards Wooten. Dont get me wrong, I have no respect for Wooten, but meddling in these sort of affairs steps way over the line, especially coming from the First Dude. At the expense of the most experienced/respected law enforcement officer in the state.

The information that I've read suggests that there was no 'meddling' in this at any level... other than to ask for updates. But asking what the status is on an investigation, and suggesting a course of action, are two entirely different things. There was some showing of the former, but nothing of the latter.

Lastly, this is a completely hypocritical deal on Palin's part. She was a major part of the legislation in question, and she abused it.

Again, I don't know to what you are referring.

Also: This notion that Rep. Hollis French is a blood thirsty Obamaniac is nothing but a partisan attack from the right. French is well respected on both sides of the aisle, and his quote was taken way out of context. I do wish he would have never used the term at all

Well I can't help but think partisan when:
  1. it is openly stated that no laws were broken
  2. it is openly stated that Palin did not suggest or pressure for the firing of Wooten
  3. that a long time after the issue at hand was done and over with, a separate unconnected issue led to the Public Safety Commish being dismissed
  4. yet offered a position elsewhere

...and then based on this (in my opinion) contradicting evidence, claim it was all to get at Wooten, and thus an abuse of power.

That makes about as much logical sense as democrats claiming the solution to high gas prices, is to enact a wind-fall profit tax.

I partially agree, but you would be surprised how many people responded "undecided" when I was working door to door.

See, I am convinved that minds are made up in general about this election at this point. I doubt much of anything can change minds short of being found guilty of a crime.

This is a big deal, and pretty big black mark for her in Alaska.

What evidence do you claim supports this? I have been mildly trying to follow this, just to see if there is anything to it. Thus far I have not seen anything that supports this view.
Well, if one were to start at the begining, before Sarah was nominated VP, she welcomed the investigation, boldly stating; "Hold me accountable"

Then she was nominated. Her entire tune changed. Those subpeonaed initially refused to testify. It took an Alaska Supreme Court ruling before that happened. There is little question that the McCain/Palin camp did not want this to become public before the election.

http://www.adn.com/troopergate/story/528468.html
The matter risks casting a shadow on Palin's reputation, central to her appeal in the campaign, that she is a clean-government advocate who takes on entrenched interests — not a governor who tried to use her authority behind the scenes to settle a personal score.

Palin has defended her behavior and said she welcomed the investigation. "Hold me accountable," she said. But she and the McCain campaign have taken actions that could slow the probe, possibly past Election Day.

Making clear the dispute has ramifications beyond Alaska, Liberty Legal Institute, a Texas-based legal advocacy group, was working on the lawsuit filed Tuesday to stop the investigation. The institute has taken on a variety of cases in defense of conservative Christian positions.

Elton called the lawsuit "a distraction."

"The silver lining in this action initiated by the five lawmakers is that some of that debate now has been kicked to the judicial branch which, unlike the Legislature and the governor's office, is more insulated from the red-hot passion of presidential politics," he said.

Palin fired public safety commissioner Walt Monegan in July.

Weeks later, it emerged that Palin, her husband, Todd, and several high-level staffers had contacted Monegan about state trooper Mike Wooten, who had gone through a nasty divorce from Palin's sister before Palin became governor. While Monegan says no one from the administration ever told him directly to fire Wooten, he says their repeated contacts made it clear they wanted Wooten gone.

Palin maintains she fired Monegan over budget disagreements, not because he wouldn't dismiss her ex-brother-in-law. She has sought through her lawyer to have the matter investigated in a more favorable forum, the state personnel board.

The information that I've read suggests that there was no 'meddling' in this at any level... other than to ask for updates. But asking what the status is on an investigation, and suggesting a course of action, are two entirely different things. There was some showing of the former, but nothing of the latter.
Ummm..not quite. Frank Bailey is on tape, very clearly speaking to a Lt. Dial about Trooper Wooten. He was even suspended with pay due to his actions. First Dude also made several contacts about Trooper Wooten, including to Commissioner Monegan. Here is the audio from Bailey. A close Palin aide.
http://community.adn.com/plain/node/129005?gallery

The 7minute mark is where Wooten comes into direct conversation. Also, there are also places where he was potentially breaking the law in terms of meddling into union affairs and negotiations.
Now after listening to that, who do you think told him to make that phone call?

Again, I don't know to what you are referring.

Part of her platform was a reform in ethics laws in the state. She was able to push through the legislation. Which I am not complaining about, but she has long claimed to have the high road on such issues and it turns out to be the direct opposite in practice.

2. it is openly stated that Palin did not suggest or pressure for the firing of Wooten
  3. that a long time after the issue at hand was done and over with, a separate unconnected issue led to the Public Safety Commish being dismissed
Wait a minute here. You are injecting information that came out through the course of the investigation that was a totally bi-partisan effort, an investigation the Governor's office tried to squash.
Also, to your second point, there is no direct evidence in a hastily put together and probably incomplete report. Of course someone like Bailey would be unlikely to ever say direction came from Sarah.
As for your third point, that is the issue is directly in question here. Sarah claimed originally he was offered a position elsewhere, then later, after she was named VP nominee, she said he was fired for cause. She has contradicted herself.

Re: Palin ABUSED HER POWER

It doesn't say how, and is likely irrelevant since it's already been established that she did not, nor did anyone in her administration, suggest or tell the Public Safety Commissioner that he should fire Wooten.

My guess is most democrats don't even know anything about what I just said anyway. You are just are hack job partisan trying to stop the Republican ticket.

That's a nice try Andy...

Damn it though! That Alaska State Legislative Committee that just found Caribou Barbie guilty of Abuse of Power & Violating the Public Trust... 10 Republicans and only 4 Democrats.

OUCH! Now that's gonna leave a mark!:D

Ummm..not quite. Frank Bailey is on tape, very clearly speaking to a Lt. Dial about Trooper Wooten. He was even suspended with pay due to his actions. First Dude also made several contacts about Trooper Wooten, including to Commissioner Monegan. Here is the audio from Bailey. A close Palin aide.
http://community.adn.com/plain/node/129005?gallery

The 7minute mark is where Wooten comes into direct conversation. Also, there are also places where he was potentially breaking the law in terms of meddling into union affairs and negotiations.
Now after listening to that, who do you think told him to make that phone call?

Not sure it is relevant. The problem here is, Lt. Dial isn't Walt Monegan. Nor did Lt. Dial speak to Monegan about Wooten. Nor did Lt. Dial indicate or believe than he was being directed to do so. Nor could Lt. Dial do anything even if he *was* being directed to do so.

This is the equivalent of having a telephone conversation with a janitor at GM, and saying the Cobalt sucks, and then having an idiot partisan claim that the reason for the call was to have the janitor go to Bob Lutz, in order to get the product terminated because 5 years ago, a relative was injured in one.

It simply makes no logical sense. If the goal is to get Wooten fired, you don't have a direct aid call, nor would he call a friend, nor a friend that is in no position to do anything, nor would he spend the majority of the call discussion other topics, nor would just mention that you don't know why a (scum bag trooper) is still employed (which is a legit concern).

Nothing about this makes any sense, unless it was simply an independent action by an aid.

And the final staw for me is... the replacement.

So you are Sarah Palin, and you just ditched Monegan because he didn't fire Wooten. The new PSC that you pick... is there any chance he isn't going to know the specific reason he exists? Is there any chance you are not going to let him know the reason he is being selected?

Of course not. So what is the very first thing he's going to do? He's going to fire Wooten. That's the whole reason he's there.

But he didn't.... So... I have to conclude the whole thing is a joke. Monegan was not removed due to Palin trying to get to Wooten... case closed.

That's a nice try Andy...

Damn it though! That Alaska State Legislative Committee that just found Caribou Barbie guilty of Abuse of Power & Violating the Public Trust... 10 Republicans and only 4 Democrats.

OUCH! Now that's gonna leave a mark!:D

Name the law that was broken. In fact, there is nothing indicating how she quote unquote, abused her power.

Part of her platform was a reform in ethics laws in the state. She was able to push through the legislation. Which I am not complaining about, but she has long claimed to have the high road on such issues and it turns out to be the direct opposite in practice.

Wait a minute here. You are injecting information that came out through the course of the investigation that was a totally bi-partisan effort, an investigation the Governor's office tried to squash.

Not exactly. The information I gathered was through many sources, not specifically the investigation. Nor do I see evidence that the governor's office tried to squash it. In fact, there are quotes from the investigators that Palin's office has been one of the most open and helpful for years.

The only thing that was challenged was the legality of forcing witness testimony in a case that has openly stated no laws were broken. Although I agree they had to comply when the challenge failed, I also agree with the challenge.

Also, to your second point, there is no direct evidence in a hastily put together and probably incomplete report. Of course someone like Bailey would be unlikely to ever say direction came from Sarah.

Now we're basing our view of guilt on hearsay and opinion. You have to assume the report is incomplete, and assume that Bailey would commit perjury like a former president, and assume that the unknown facts not recorded in the assumed incomplete report, must prove Palin guilty.

As for your third point, that is the issue is directly in question here. Sarah claimed originally he was offered a position elsewhere, then later, after she was named VP nominee, she said he was fired for cause. She has contradicted herself.

The two claims are not mutually exclusive. At my company, an employee was removed for cause from a specific area where he made some massive mistakes, but was offered a position in another part of the company. He accepted and has down well in other location.

This is not a contradiction. It's barely even relevant to begin with. The governor has absolute control over PSC. If he sneezed at the wrong time during a meeting, she could have him removed.

Werbung:

Name the law that was broken. In fact, there is nothing indicating how she quote unquote, abused her power.

Actually it was an ethics violation and she was found in violation of the State's rules of Ethics.

Censure or impeachment action could begin right now if the Alaska State legislature wanted to go that route, there's nothing stopping it. But my guess is they'll just leave it with the embarrassment factor.

It will be a lot tougher on her up there in Alaska when she returns to the Governors job Nov. 5th. Everybody will be watching her for any little mistake. And her husband will really have to lay low. No more of him running around on the taxpayers dime to get things done for his wife that's for sure.

The guy she fired may bring a civil Suit against her... in fact I'd almost bet on that.

It's over for the McCain camp. They should have vetted. Even if she were qualified, which she's obviously not, no one wants another Dick Cheney rules bender around after the last 8 years of disaster.

The 9 top scientific polls (go to RealClearPolitics.com) jumped from a 5.9 Obama lead AVERAGE with 3 polls at 8 or 9...... to a 7.8 Obama lead average and 3 polls in double digits as soon as the Palin GUILTY of Ethics Violations report was official.

Back