Palin to pray away gays!

Sorry, none of the above aimless drivel answers any of the questions I posed.
That is just not a counterpoint.
I want to just reiterate the most important point......again..... in the hope that you will open your closed mind a little.
Assuming people have closed minds without proof makes one a practicer of discrimination.

You really do not understand the fact that most religions and their followers, using selective biblical text as a tool are responsible for the nonacceptance of homosexuals, hence you are also a bigot, how can you not be?

And you do not understand most religious people. It is true that some do this but most are every bit as accepting as the general population and some are quite a bit more accepting. To characterize the actions of a few as what most do is just dishonest or ignorant.

And yes some do use selective quotes just as you have described. I don't know how long you have been around but I have argued against the use of these passages many times. That is how I can not be.

Your long diatribe regarding the types of homosexual, promiscuity, AID's etc.etc further compounds your bigotry; you are well aware that just about all of the 'sins' (for want of a better word) you listed are equally practiced by heterosexuals.

I never called them sins and I am quite aware that many of them also apply to the hetero world. I never said that they didn't. But the are all true.

You really cannot see that if not for the deliberate use of selective text from the bible to judge, condemn and alienate them and it is also used often as a political tool, homosexuals would not face any emotional distress, or bloody pain.
Really? NONE of their pain or distress is from anything other than the bible? You obviously don't know a wide cross section of gay people.
The reason why you are a bigot is, that your support of religion enables said organised religions to take this particular biblical text and use it as an excuse to demonise them, these 'terrible, mixed up, confused, childless, sad homosexuals', then after you have done this, you feel the need to pray for them because they are terrible, mixed up, confused, childless, sad homosexuals.

Feel free to quote any of my statements in which I support religious intolerance against gays. I do support compassion toward those gays that may need it. I did say about this church:

"If some of you can show that the church in question is acting like bigots then please show us. If not the purpose of prayer is usually to ask God to help people so in the absence of any evidence to the contrary that is probably what is happening."

See how I asked for evidence that this church was acting bigoted and did not make assumptions. I am open to it if it is there. See how I gave them the benefit of the doubt based on the good intentions of prayer. Which is more than I can say for you. You have judged me without really knowing anything about me save for a few posts and you have grossly misjudged me.

I do not enable this church. So far no evidence has been produced against them. How can I enable them to sin when we do not even know they are doing it.
You really, really do not see the hypocrisy, or the 'sin' in this do you?

If this church is acting in bigoted ways against gay people I will renounce it with you. Where is the evidence?
I am truly flabbergasted and frustrated by the person blindness religion all too often causes.

Me too. But on this thread the evidence that this church is doing anything other than being compassionate is lacking.

Werbung:
Excerpt from the Harvard Gazette, 2006:

"We found increased amounts of adrenalin, a sign of stress, in the blood of patients who knew strangers were praying for them," notes Dusek, who is also associate research director of the Mind/Body Medical Institute. "It's possible that we inadvertently raised the stress levels of these people."

Seems when people know total strangers are praying for them, it affects their lives in negative ways... So... while praying for gays seems a pretty neutral act, letting gays know they are being prayed for is what creates problems. In this case, I would say ignorance is bliss.

That is just not a counterpoint

I beg to differ. You still have not answered the questions I posed.

Assuming people have closed minds without proof makes one a practicer of discrimination

The proof as you put it is there. How many times does one have to point out that the nonacceptance of Gays stems from a passage in biblical law, which has since been used as a tool to class homosexuals as an abomination.

The fact that you embrace religious doctrine and pray for homosexuals as by their nature they, according to church doctrine break biblical law, you are complicit and therefore bigoted, you cannot be anything else.

The fact that the bible is extremely selective in the biblical laws it (and you along with it, by embracing said religion) decides to maintain in unaltered condition the law which states that Homosexuality is an abomination, whilst completely ignoring and failing to advocate, or practice so much of biblical law, that it deems 'sinful' or deems an abomination is hypocrisy and without doubt sinful in itself.

Your mind is closed because you are not willing to consider this logical and rational deduction.

I am discriminating against you, when my points are based on truth?

And you do not understand most religious people. It is true that some do this but most are every bit as accepting as the general population and some are quite a bit more accepting. To characterize the actions of a few as what most do is just dishonest or ignorant.

You are making huge assumptions here yourself my friend, you have nothing with which to back this up, more hypocrisy considering you have just accused me of the same.

And yes some do use selective quotes just as you have described. I don't know how long you have been around but I have argued against the use of these passages many times. That is how I can not be.

Arguing against and admonishing the use of specific passages does not exclude you and others like you from being an inherent bigot. no matter how many times you say it, see above.

How can you or they be accepting, when they feel the need to pray to 'change' them, but do not feel the need to pray for the billions of others who break biblical law every single day?

Do you deny that you wish through your belief systems that homosexuals would see the light, do you think homosexuals along with their sexual preferences have every right to be considered as normal as you or I?

I never called them sins and I am quite aware that many of them also apply to the hetero world. I never said that they didn't. But the are all true

You are worse than hypocritical actually, you state they are NOT sins, but you felt the compelling need to point them all out to me regardless.

Really? NONE of their pain or distress is from anything other than the bible? You obviously don't know a wide cross section of gay people.

You really still do not get it do you? But for the adherence to biblical law regarding homosexuals, homosexuality would not be seen as anything other than normal.

The pain and suffering you keep repeating, that is not necessarily connected to being homosexual, equally applies to any other member of society, we all experience some pain and suffering in our lives, so again it is not relevant.

If you are not a bigot, if you accept them, why do you feel the service to self need to have such ardent compassion for them, to pray for in particular, when the only people responsible for the majority of their suffering is the religious doctrine you embrace in the first place? How many times can you keep denying that you are, in just being a part of organised religion you ARE complicit.

If this church is acting in bigoted ways against gay people I will renounce it with you. Where is the evidence?

How many times and in how many ways do I need to spell it out for you, person blindness again.

Me too. But on this thread the evidence that this church is doing anything other than being compassionate is lacking.

Evidence...read my posts with your blinkers off.

Hypocritical self serving compassion, which I am sure they can do without.

It is funny that you don't see these people praying that rich people become poor so that they can enter the kingdom of heaven.

That is because they are screwed up, hypocritical, hate filled bigots who selectively use the bible to justify their disgusting world view.

It is funny that you don't see these people praying that rich people become poor so that they can enter the kingdom of heaven.

That is because they are screwed up, hypocritical, hate filled bigots who selectively use the bible to justify their disgusting world view.

they dont need to pray for the rich, They just count on the government to rape the rich to give to the poor and pocket a good portion.

and more importantly, what do you care who prays and who doesn't
this thread is totaly retarded. Sarah Palin and her church prays for gay people. So freaking what. I am sure they pray for people with cancer too.

when her pastor starts damning America, then it will be news

So being gay is like having cancer?

Boy, I'm looking forward to this one

what sort of water do they have in your country? Does it kill off brain cells?

I really want to know where you are from because I want to make dang sure I dont go there. You are such a total .....

No being a homosexual is not like being someone who has cancer but I will bet Sarah Palin's church prays for both, and I bet she prays for people who lost their parents, or their kids, I bet she prays for people who are having marital problems, people who are pregnant and so on and so on.

But I bet you everything I ever had that her church does not pray for God to damn America.

The point is, you are clearly saying that being gay is a bad thing that deserves the intervention of god to fix.

It is usually known as bigotry

The point is, you are clearly saying that being gay is a bad thing that deserves the intervention of god to fix.

It is usually known as bigotry

For someone who believes in scripture yep its not a good thing. Having sex with a person you are not married to is also a bad thing. I dont know where you are from, you are to ashamed to tell us. But here in the United States of America we are free to practice our faith. We are free to read and believe in scripture. We are free to pray for anyone we feel like praying for.

You may not be used to that idea, that may have been taught to you as a bad thing. But I am sure you had no problem with Messiah Obama's pastor asking God to damn America.

I beg to differ. You still have not answered the questions I posed.

Fine I will go back and answer all of your questions even though I already answered the only important one. But it is going to get really long and off point.
The proof as you put it is there. How many times does one have to point out that the nonacceptance of Gays stems from a passage in biblical law, which has since been used as a tool to class homosexuals as an abomination.

The non-acceptance of gays stems from many things. People and cultures that do not believe in the bible also do not accept gays.

But yes many people do not accept gays based on these passages. I have argued against these interpretations of these passages.

The fact that you embrace religious doctrine and pray for homosexuals as by their nature they, according to church doctrine break biblical law, you are complicit and therefore bigoted, you cannot be anything else.

Religious doctrine is not one big monolithic thing. There are many many independent statements in the bible. I embrace what I think is thebest interpretation of the bible. I do not happen to believe that the bible teaches to hate gay people. I also do not believe that the passages say what many others say they say. So, no I am not complicit. I argue against that point of view whenever those passages come up.
The fact that the bible is extremely selective in the biblical laws it (and you along with it, by embracing said religion) decides to maintain in unaltered condition the law which states that Homosexuality is an abomination, whilst completely ignoring and failing to advocate, or practice so much of biblical law, that it deems 'sinful' or deems an abomination is hypocrisy and without doubt sinful in itself.

I do not believe the bible says homosexuality as practiced today is an abomination and what it describes from long ago just like eating shrimp is not applicable.
Your mind is closed because you are not willing to consider this logical and rational deduction.

I have already considered it and found that the best interpretation of the bible does not lead to that trap.
I am discriminating against you, when my points are based on truth?
Except that you misunderstand me and the bible and other christians.
You are making huge assumptions here yourself my friend, you have nothing with which to back this up, more hypocrisy considering you have just accused me of the same.

I could easily go on the web and find examples of other christians who do not find that homosexuality as practiced today is an abomination. There are whole gay churches.

Arguing against and admonishing the use of specific passages does not exclude you and others like you from being an inherent bigot. no matter how many times you say it, see above.

Then go ahead and show one of my bigoted statements.
How can you or they be accepting, when they feel the need to pray to 'change' them, but do not feel the need to pray for the billions of others who break biblical law every single day?

Because the conference was provided for those gay people and their families who were unhappy with being gay. Did you hear that? The conference "Love won out" is specifically for those gay people who "struggle with unwanted same-sex attractions" The article provided a link that could easily be googled to get you to the home page of the conference where you would have found that.

So gay people who don't want to be gay could go there to get prayer. And if they are struggling with unwanted same sex attractions then by definition they would qualify as "in pain" which is where this all began.

Do you deny that you wish through your belief systems that homosexuals would see the light, do you think homosexuals along with their sexual preferences have every right to be considered as normal as you or I?

I personally thing that being gay is better than being greedy. Considering the amount of fetishes and other sexual preference out there they are just as normal as anyone else. I would love for gay people to see the light and come to love God. Whatever happens after that is between Him and them.

You are worse than hypocritical actually, you state they are NOT sins, but you felt the compelling need to point them all out to me regardless.
Well duh, the list included things that would demonstrate my understanding of the gay community - it's ups and downs. One cannot truly understand the gay community until one understands that just about everyone who is an active part of it has lost a friend to aids. Hence the description of the high aids rate.

You really still do not get it do you? But for the adherence to biblical law regarding homosexuals, homosexuality would not be seen as anything other than normal.

Not really. There are lots of people in non bible countries that hate gays. You need to look elsewhere if you want a universal scapegoat.
The pain and suffering you keep repeating, that is not necessarily connected to being homosexual, equally applies to any other member of society, we all experience some pain and suffering in our lives, so again it is not relevant.

It is relevant when the conference is being offered only to those who are experiencing pain. The others can just not go if they don't want to. It is relevant since no one prays for the pain of those who don't have any.
If you are not a bigot, if you accept them, why do you feel the service to self need to have such ardent compassion for them, to pray for in particular, when the only people responsible for the majority of their suffering is the religious doctrine you embrace in the first place? How many times can you keep denying that you are, in just being a part of organised religion you ARE complicit.

I don't pray for gay people I know any more or less than others.

And no the ONLY responsible people are not the religious people. Suffering comes form many different people and even many circumstance not related to people.

All members of an organized religion do not put on their conformity hats the minute they walk through a church door.

How many times and in how many ways do I need to spell it out for you, person blindness again.

Well you could read the article that started this or go on the net and find just one example of something done by this church that is bigoted. Assuming without waver that all church people are bigots is well bigoted.
Evidence...read my posts with your blinkers off.
Give us something specific instead of discriminatory generalities.

Unfortunately Palin who is part of this prayer bigotry could well be president of th USA soon.

Great signal.

I am so glad to see you have lost faith in the messiah and realize the other ticket will win:)

Go Palin!

and I bet she will pray for you if she can figure out what ever country it is that you are to ashamed to admit you are from :)

Why do you automatically assume that all gays are in pain and need praying for?
I don't. But of all the gays in the world the ones who are in pain deserve some good will. The conference that is being discussed here is offered to gays who self-proclaim that they are unhappy being gay. Furthermore if you go back and read what I based my first post on this thread about it was a statement from the gay community that says that all gays are unhappy. It was not me who posited that all gays are unhappy. It was me who took the logical next step from that statement that came from them.

You think this because you base your whole misconception on 'how you would feel' in their situation (being gay)and possibly a by the experiences of a few other people who you know personally. The only pain and suffering they feel is caused by nonacceptance by people like yourself, who, because you judge them solely by the writings of the bible, that you follow, insist that they are an abomination.

I have not had a misconception about gays posted on this thread. I do not base it on how I would feel but I do base what I said based on the statement from the gay community and from those I have known closely. And no the only pain and suffering they feel is not caused by non-acceptance. That is an incredibly narrow view that totally underestimates the humanity of a whole gay community that is varied and full of depth. And no I do not judge them solely by the bible. The bible has almost nothing directly to say about gay folks. And no the bible does not insist that they are an abomination.
That aside, the sheer audacity of people like yourself, to firstly judge gays and then pray for any pain and suffering they may experience, which is for the most part solely down to the nonacceptance of such people in the first place is laughable in a very dark sense.

Big improvements here! You now recognize that any pain and suffering they may feel is not 100% the fault of nonacceptance. Because that would be a load of hogwash. But where have I "judged" them? Don't try applying some stereotype that you have used against a whole group to say that I have done it. Use my words.
This nonacceptance by many organised religions and people like yourself as a part of said religions , is totally and amazingly beyond utter contempt, when one considers that you firstly judge, condemn and demonise them, alienating them in the first place, then you bloody pray for them, they would not need praying for, but for you and people like you.

How can you in the same sentence recognize that it is only many organized religions that are non-accepting and then blame every single believer of any religion as being non-accepting? Are you Mare Tranquility come back with a new name?
The pomposity here is unbelievable. Did it ever occur to you that if God is omnipotent, then he deliberately created certain people with the capacity to be different than the so called norm (in which I think we all fall into said category, one way or another)

Yes that has occurred to me.
Before you or anyone else comes back with the old adage, well God is testing 'them', did it occur to you that God may just be testing you?
I have not looked at this as either a test of gays or of straights.
If you read the New Testament, why do you think Jesus/God's teachings were to not cast the first stone, to not judge , does this not tell you something?
Because compassion is more important than justice. Because being judgemental is a sin. It tells me that it would be useful to evaluate to whom I could offer compassion.
Do you pray so ardently for every one of your fellow human beings who appear to be different than societies definition of the norm?

At times I pray for all sorts of people. In all honesty I do not think I have ever prayed for the whole gay community. I do pray for the individual people I know and I do not think it has ever been a prayer based on their sexual orientation. I do pray for my country and our leaders and other groups too.
Who gave you the right to decide who to pray for and who not?
Any compassionate person would have to decide to whom to offer compassion.
The bible states that to eat meat with blood in it is an abomination, to eat shellfish is an abomination, yet you do not feel the same need to pray for people who eat their meat rare, or go to shellfish restaurants do you?
And just like passages about meat and shellfish are not applicable to just about anyone walking around today the passage on a behavior that is probably not even the same as what gays do today is not applicable either.
YOU, decide who you think needs praying for, pure and simple.

Yes I do. But in this instance the conference that this thread was started about offered pray to self-proclaimed unhappy gays. They could choose to decide if they were unhappy and wanted to attend or if they were happy and did not want to attend.
It is your own bigotry that decides you must pray for the poor gay people who are in so much pain and are suffering so much.

Well if they are poor and in pain it would be pretty cruel to know about it and ignore it while praying.
What you are really saying is, that you wish all gays could change because YOU don't like them, the way they behave, or the fact that they go against societies status quo, which upsets your equilibrium.

Where did I say that? What you are demonstrating to all is that you have the capacity to read into words meanings that are not there.
That is why you pray for them. Your concern and actions are solely service to self, nothing more and nothing less.

Every person on this planet must recognize that when they do anything good for another that at least a part of their motivation is to feel good about it. I am human. I try to be good, and I fail miserably often.
YOU, find it disgusting and intolerable that a certain men and women seek sexual and emotional relationships with the same sex; that is why you pray for them.

You have no idea what is in my mind. And you are wrong on that account.
At least have the guts to stand up and bloody well say so, instead of hiding behind wholly selective text in the bible, which suits your personal agenda.

How could I hide behind a text that I do not think says what you seem to think it means?

Astounding hypocrisy!

An astounding ability to be so completely wrong about a person you have never met, have read a few posts from, have stereotyped, and labeled, and insulted.

Werbung:
Dr Who.

I owe you an apology.

Having read all the answers you put forward in the last two posts, I applied logic and reason to the content of your posts, the same reason and logic that I rather rudely, if I am entirely honest, earlier asked you to apply to mine.

After digesting your answers methodically, I came to the conclusion that I have in fact been wholly unfair. You are correct, I took a completely panoptical stance regarding the subject matter, letting the long term distaste, anger and frustration I feel toward organised religion overall completely cloud my judgment and that was wrong.

At the time I really felt that you were being unreasonable, but when I began to think rationally, it became obvious it was I being unreasonable and blinkered.

When I allowed myself to look at your posts for what they actually said, instead of what I thought they said and actually wanted them to say, so to speak, using my more normal rational and unbiased manner, I quickly realised this. You have been reasonable, I have not.

I still think that organised religion bears more than a little responsibility for the way some elements of society are derided and condemned, not just Gays.

But and a very big but, I was unfair to assume that I knew exactly what you were personally thinking and feeling, unfair to automatically assume that you condone some organised religions continuance of a ridiculous piece of biblical law, or that your compassion for anyone was, or is in fact false. I did stereotype you.

That was wrong of me. No insult was intended.

Back