Palin's Abortion Stance

Dr Who

I don't see why pro-life = pro human life.

Nor do I see why it does not include the lives of those convicted of crime especially as so may are wrongfully convicted.

Nor do I understand why it does not extend to the lives of Iraqi and Afghani civilians

Or soldiers for that matter.

I really don't understand why these people/animals have less of a right to life than a few brainless cells.

Perhaps you would help me out Dr Who and explain it to me.

Werbung:
And I have contended that the definition of considering humans equivalent to persons is insufficient, and that personhood should be based on traits such as self-awareness, rationality, and the capacity to feel pain. I have pointed out that animals possess greater levels of this trait than human fetuses.

The current definition is sufficient legally, ontologically and ethically.

I am a bit confused that you find the current definition 'insufficient' since it suggests to me that any conceptual development of the idea of person you are envisioning should serve to make it more universal.

You are ammending the definition specifically to exclude human beings of a certain stage of development and including animals. That is a step backwards from a universal ideal, fyi.

What is your objection to this definition?

I have tons of objection -- foremost of which stems from metaphysics.

The qualities you have provided, and on which you wish to base the concept of personhood are SUBJECTIVE qualities. How rational, self-aware or capable of feeling pain should one be to qualify as a person? Any answer to that question, if such a criteria can be infallibly discerned to begin with, is entirely ARBITRARY. And as far as the rights that accrue to a person are concerned -- THEY ARE INDEPENDENT OF POSITIVE LAW.

Next, they are qualities that are TRANSIENT. If the basis of personhood depends on qualities that change from one moment to the next, we have this absurd situation of someone slipping in and out of personhood.

Next, it disregards entirely a fetus' POTENTIAL to demonstrate these qualities. Anyone can say with a fair amount of certainty that, left with the processes that nature has imbued it, a fetus would be a fully functional human being, hence a person, in nine months (or thereabouts) after conception. Now, human actions are logically driven to some intended or potential end. If you suppose that the fetus is not a person, killing it would kill the person it would certainly become -- hence demonstrating the INTENT to kill.

Do you assume that I will immediately accept John Stuart Mill's claims as valid? Firstly, I am a preference utilitarian, not a classical utilitarian, so I differ substantially from Mill in that regard.

When you stated utilitarian standards, I simply assumed you were referring to that philosophy's most accomplished advocate. Although I cannot imagine how mutated your utilitarianism is from js mill's to be of any relevance -- as if utilitarianism, in general, was not twisted enough.

By all means, state the difference here.

I openly disagree with Mill's assertion. Has a human being been a pig, or has Socrates been a fool? How would they be familiar with the benefits of idle and simple pleasure if they had never had it themselves?

Im not sure if that is an entirely valid objection to diffentiate mill's utilitarianism with what I could only guess is yours.

Do you deny that people forgo the enjoyment of an immediate and lower form of happiness in lieu of the potential gain of something higher and and more lasting?

Then on what grounds do you differentiate between a worm or a snail and a human, since worms and snails have a similar imperative to continue their own existences?

The grounds on which ethics differentiate between a worm and a human is that a human posesses the capacity, either manifest or potential, to direct their own actions towards their own rational ends. And here I am not talking about any individual human being but humanity as a whole.

A fetus is not a rational being at that stage of its existence, so to include a fetus in your analysis, you would need to assert that it had some inherent value in and of itself.

I do assert it.

The value, as you rightly say, is INHERENT IN AND OF ITSELF. One cannot gain or loose it at any stage of one's existence. It is inseperable from it.

What objection do you have to life's value being utilitarian rather than intrinsic?

Should we aim to prevent suffering, a greater level of awareness would create a greater capacity to suffer, and beings with greater levels of awareness thus have more weighty moral interests in that regard.

Because I am smarter than you and have more awareness (because I say so and I don't need to prove it to you because I am smarter than you) and my suffering is always more important than yours so my rights always supersede yours.

That is the inevitable result of utilitarian valuations of life.

Oh and Aryans (because I am blond with blue eyes) are always more deserving of life than others and because blacks (because I am white) are also less deserving of life too.

(For those of you who are less aware and less deserving of life I hope you understood that that was sarcasm)

Meanwhile our constitution is based on the idea (from the Declaration) that all men are created equal, which is a direct result of the sanctifying influence of Christianity on the world.

So even if Agnopostat'es "ethical" and utilitarian definition of person were to be correct it would still be illegal which is why we should use the legal definition.

Dr Who

I don't see why pro-life = pro human life.

Nor do I see why it does not include the lives of those convicted of crime especially as so may are wrongfully convicted.

Nor do I understand why it does not extend to the lives of Iraqi and Afghani civilians

Or soldiers for that matter.

I really don't understand why these people/animals have less of a right to life than a few brainless cells.

Perhaps you would help me out Dr Who and explain it to me.

You are correct. You don't understand it.

Pro-life means pro-human life because the people who call themselves that intend it to mean that. Their words - their meanings. Their cause is the unborn so they choose not to represent those who are in prison rightfully or wrongfully convicted. (though no doubt some pro-life people are also members of PETA or the anti-death penalty movement or even the teachers union which oddly enough only represents teachers and not lawyers)

Meanwhile our constitution is based on the idea (from the Declaration) that all men are created equal, which is a direct result of the sanctifying influence of Christianity on the world.

Actually the Founding Fathers were Deist, not Christian.

I don't know, but the anthropocentric viewpoint is just difficult for me to accept. I think animals value their lives as much as I value mine, I have no evidence that I can suffer more than they. We know so little about animals that I dislike objectifying them.

On a philosophical level we cannot give life, all we can do is take it. Whatever the source is, it has seen fit to give each of us a piece of it and who am I to steal what has been given to another? I feel that my life has intrinsic value, should I judge others to be less than myself?

I agree, they do value their life. We can tell by how hard they work to keep it. They also clearly suffer and we can tell this by how hard they work to avoid painful things and also by how they whine or make whatever sound they make when they are in pain. It is built into their brains to value their own life and to avoid suffering - it is an instinct present in the DNA at the moment of conception.

Of course it you tie a dog down before you put the shampoo in it's eyes then it doesn't try to avoid the pain. So does the inability to avoid pain mean that it is not endowed with the urge to avoid it? You could also anesthetize a dog and then it would neither avoid nor feel the pain even though still has the capacity to avoid it built into it's brain.

I agree, they do value their life. We can tell by how hard they work to keep it. They also clearly suffer and we can tell this by how hard they work to avoid painful things and also by how they whine or make whatever sound they make when they are in pain. It is built into their brains to value their own life and to avoid suffering - it is an instinct present in the DNA at the moment of conception.
A statement without substantiation

Of course it you tie a dog down before you put the shampoo in it's eyes then it doesn't try to avoid the pain. So does the inability to avoid pain mean that it is not endowed with the urge to avoid it? You could also anesthetize a dog and then it would neither avoid nor feel the pain even though still has the capacity to avoid it built into it's brain.
I don't understand this paragraph. If you tie a dog down, then how can it avoid the pain of something put into its eyes? If you anesthetize ANYBODY the will not try to avoid pain because they will be anesthetized. What point are you trying to make?

Werbung:
A statement without substantiation

Self-preservation is a basic instinct common to all organisms with a central nervous system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_preservation

And since all of our physical structures and instincts are encoded in the DNA the statement stands and is now substantiated here.
I don't understand this paragraph. If you tie a dog down, then how can it avoid the pain of something put into its eyes? If you anesthetize ANYBODY the will not try to avoid pain because they will be anesthetized. What point are you trying to make?

Exactly the point. If you tie a dog down and eliminate it's ability to communicate that it is trying to avoid pain the instinct is still there. Even if you anesthetize someone the instinct is still there. For anyone who thinks that self-preservation indicates that an organism is alive then even the inability to communicate the existence of self preservation or the inability to act on the instinct does not stop it from being a part of the organism.

Btw, while I posted that statement attached to what you said it was not an indictment of your post. I just put it there because it was a convenient place to piggyback that.

Back