Palin's Abortion Stance

I don't like Obama. I think he's a phony who lacks substance. But I would rather that he won than McSame.

I am not crazy about either of them either. I feel your pain there, and I am supporting McCain mostly now for Palin but probably would have anyways just because I don’t like Obama more than I don’t like McCain.

Your personal experiences cannot determine the general trend regarding the difference between the sexual assault of a child and the sexual assault of an adult. There were obviously some instances of people like you in the study I cited. But the vast majority of people who went through the same thing you did indicated a far different trend: that the emotional trauma from adult rape is significantly worse than that of child rape.

No my personal experience can not. But added with the personal experiences of so many women that I have been in various group therapy with who had similar experiences. I learned in therapy that women who were molested as kids tend to be victims of rape in adult life. It has something to do with a lesser understanding of sexual boundaries and being drawn to predators. The adult rape can bring back traumatic memories of childhood sexual molestation / rape. I will trust a life time of knowing other women like me, therapist who are trained to help people like me over your survey.

The difference between the woman with the unwanted pregnancy and the cases you cited is that her interests, those of a person, outweigh those of a nonperson.

Non person… That is sad and scary. Dred Scott was a non person too. According to Adolph Hitler The Jews were non persons. The white man when coming to America thought of the natives as savages, some thought of them as non persons. Terry Shivo was starved to death because she was a non person. Because you have decided they are non persons does not make it so. My son at 5 months was sucking his thumb in my tummy. When he would move a lot and kick and squirm I could talk to him and he would settle down. My son was and is a person before he breathed his first breath he was a human child, a person a boy, my son. He has/had his own unique DNA, a heart, lungs and nerves.

The feminist author Judith Jarvis Thomson uses the example of a dying musician who needs an extremely rare blood type to live. You have the blood type, so a society of music lovers kidnaps you and connects your circulatory system with that of the dying musician. You can disconnect yourself if you'd like, but if you were to do so, the musician would die. On the other hand, if you stayed connected to him for nine months, he would walk away completely healthy. Thomson concludes that it would not be morally wrong for you to disconnect yourself from the musician because you did not choose for him to be dependent on your body.

I don’t think this analogy works. First I am not responsible for the musician other than a human to human level. I am not the reason the musician is alive like I am responsible for getting myself pregnant and would have a living child inside of me. If a person needed a rare kidney and I was the only one they knew who had one to give, I am not responsible for giving them one of my kidneys, though I really would seriously think about it. But I am responsible for my own offspring that is English for the Latin word fetus.

The primary flaw with this argument is that it assumes that the fetus is a person. But the fetus lacks traits of personhood. It lacks self-awareness, rationality, and the capacity to feel pleasure and pain. Hence, a more accurate analogy might be that of you being kidnapped and connected to a fish in order for the fish to survive, since a fish has more traits of personhood than an embryo does. Or perhaps, another analogy might be that you are connected to a chicken, which possesses greater traits of personhood than a more late-term fetus does.

You should speak regular English. Fetus is not an English word it is a Latin word that means offspring in English. A word they did not want to translate because the term aborting your offspring sounds rather sick! Again we are back to the argument of what a person is. Dred Scott was as much a person as you and I are, but they were still ignorant in those days. The few that dared to speak up for African Americans were about as persecuted as those who speak up today for children in the womb, but hopefully your children’s children will hang their heads in shame at what our generation tolerated. And those who fought for the lives of children will be appreciated rather than persecuted.

Would you hold that it is morally wrong to disconnect yourself in either of those cases? Or don't you hold that your interests outweigh those of a fish or chicken?

hopefully I explained my self in each of your questions. and I will stand firm on this. A human child in the womb, the offspring of a woman should have at least as much rights as an Owl's egg.

Werbung:
I am not crazy about either of them either. I feel your pain there, and I am supporting McCain mostly now for Palin but probably would have anyways just because I don’t like Obama more than I don’t like McCain.

Then why don't you vote for Chuck Baldwin?

No my personal experience can not. But added with the personal experiences of so many women that I have been in various group therapy with who had similar experiences. I learned in therapy that women who were molested as kids tend to be victims of rape in adult life. It has something to do with a lesser understanding of sexual boundaries and being drawn to predators. The adult rape can bring back traumatic memories of childhood sexual molestation / rape. I will trust a life time of knowing other women like me, therapist who are trained to help people like me over your survey.

Your original research and the limited perspective you have gained through personal experience is not exactly equivalent to the personal experience of a large number of people.

Non person… That is sad and scary. Dred Scott was a non person too. According to Adolph Hitler The Jews were non persons. The white man when coming to America thought of the natives as savages, some thought of them as non persons. Terry Shivo was starved to death because she was a non person. Because you have decided they are non persons does not make it so. My son at 5 months was sucking his thumb in my tummy. When he would move a lot and kick and squirm I could talk to him and he would settle down. My son was and is a person before he breathed his first breath he was a human child, a person a boy, my son. He has/had his own unique DNA, a heart, lungs and nerves.

I agree that Terri Schiavo should not have been starved to death. A lethal injection would have been far more humane. At any rate, any number of children you could have potentially conceived would have had those same unique characteristics. If you had used contraception or been celibate during the act that led to your son's conception, you would have caused his nonexistence. Would you hold that it was morally wrong for you to do so? (By the way, since you insist on "regular English," tummy is slang for stomach, and your son was not in your stomach but in your uterus.

I don’t think this analogy works. First I am not responsible for the musician other than a human to human level. I am not the reason the musician is alive like I am responsible for getting myself pregnant and would have a living child inside of me. If a person needed a rare kidney and I was the only one they knew who had one to give, I am not responsible for giving them one of my kidneys, though I really would seriously think about it. But I am responsible for my own offspring that is English for the Latin word fetus.

But as with the musician, an unwanted pregnancy is the result of forced dependency of another being upon you. But answer the question.

You should speak regular English. Fetus is not an English word it is a Latin word that means offspring in English. A word they did not want to translate because the term aborting your offspring sounds rather sick! Again we are back to the argument of what a person is. Dred Scott was as much a person as you and I are, but they were still ignorant in those days. The few that dared to speak up for African Americans were about as persecuted as those who speak up today for children in the womb, but hopefully your children’s children will hang their heads in shame at what our generation tolerated. And those who fought for the lives of children will be appreciated rather than persecuted.

We've held your definition of a "person" for centuries now. How is it that you portray maintaining this definition as "moving forward?" My definition of personhood is based on Enlightenment values. What is yours based on?

hopefully I explained my self in each of your questions. and I will stand firm on this. A human child in the womb, the offspring of a woman should have at least as much rights as an Owl's egg.

A human fetus has more rights than an owl's egg. I'll say that right now if you want me to. But it doesn't have more rights than a living owl because an owl possesses at least a rudimentary capacity to view itself as a distinct entity that exists over time.

What I would like to know is why do most people who call themselves 'pro-life' seem to be so acceptant of killing?

It is very difficult to take their views seriously when they are pro-death penalty and not screaming protests against the wars.

They are often pro-hunting too.

So they are clearly not pro-life and are hiding behind this seemingly noble banner.

So I wonder what they really are about.

They seem hysterical.

I don't buy this stuff about them being outraged by the abortion of a few cells and I don't see them weeping over the body's natural expulsion of them or collecting up remains and holding funerals.

They sound to me like religious lunatics who try to out-pious each other with overt displays of concern and outrage.

But it is disingenuous.

They are very often pro-death.

I do not want to see Obama win So I have to vote for the best chance of beating him.

Your original research and the limited perspective you have gained through personal experience is not exactly equivalent to the personal experience of a large number of people.

All together at least a hundred. In differnt groups at different times. The professionals who helped us had experience in the thousands for all the women they treated over time. It was more than just me and 3 others in some little group for a week.

I agree that Terri Schiavo should not have been starved to death. A lethal injection would have been far more humane. At any rate, any number of children you could have potentially conceived would have had those same unique characteristics. If you had used contraception or been celibate during the act that led to your son's conception, you would have caused his nonexistence. Would you hold that it was morally wrong for you to do so? (By the way, since you insist on "regular English," tummy is slang for stomach, and your son was not in your stomach but in your uterus.

But as with the musician, an unwanted pregnancy is the result of forced dependency of another being upon you. But answer the question.

We've held your definition of a "person" for centuries now. How is it that you portray maintaining this definition as "moving forward?" My definition of personhood is based on Enlightenment values. What is yours based on?

A human fetus has more rights than an owl's egg. I'll say that right now if you want me to. But it doesn't have more rights than a living owl because an owl possesses at least a rudimentary capacity to view itself as a distinct entity that exists over time.

I do not want to see Obama win so I have to vote for the best chance of beating him.

All together at least a hundred. In different groups at different times. The professionals who helped us had experience in the thousands for all the women they treated over time. Personal experience in something is more helpful to me than a survey given especially if there is an agenda involved.

I don’t know why we need to go on about this particular topic, we can agree to disagree. I think a child being raped is far more traumatic than an adult though both are bad and you don’t. This topic was never meant to be a topic in the first place. My original question to you was in comparing putting a killer to death and having an abortion. I had added child rapist to hopefully not get the argument side tracked on what did the guy do wrong and then start justifying what the hypothetical murderer did that he does not deserve to die. It did not work, now we are having an argument on what the hypothetical murderer raped and murdered a child and that’s not as bad as raping and murdering and adult. Ok we can just disagree and move on.

She did not deserve to be put to death, not by starvation not by lethal injection.. Your non person hood is literally out of Hitler’s play book. He justified the murder of people with retardation, Gypsies and Jews all on your same theme of non personhood.
No it would not be morally wrong to not get pregnant. Killing someone is morally wrong. You say that a murderer should not be put to death for murdering but its ok to give a woman a lethal injection because you have decided she is a non person. And the point of this thread is you thought Sarah Palin is hypocritical. Amazing!

If the musician were my personal responsibility my offspring It would be my responsibility. The comparison is flawed because no one at any time has ever asked a woman to carry a child that was not their own. The only children that anyone has suggested a woman carry is the child SHE is responsible for conceiving.

Mine is based on basic common sense and reasoning. Also consistency. I am against the death penalty and I am against abortion. I am consistent in my pro life stance. I do not think it is right to hunt animals for the fun of it, though I don’t see anything wrong with hunting for your food since people eat meat. I think you are all over the board with your justifications for who should die and who should live, and I say life is valuable.

This is absolutely not true. A human child in the womb does not have the same rights as an owl’s egg or an eagle’s egg or the eggs of other thing the government has deemed worth value. There are federal laws protecting those eggs fertile or not. There are not laws protecting all children in the womb.

If they are at the same level of self-consciousness, rationality, and other traits of personhood, than yes, they are at an equal level. Species membership should not determine personhood.

I suggest that you go to your public library and ask the reference desk if they have a copy of Black's Legal Dictionary. This is the dictionary used in practically every courtroom in the country, including the Supreme Court to settle disputes among parties over the definitons of legal terms.

Turn to page 1152 (depending on the edition) and look up the word person. You will find that the accepted legal defintion of the word person is "a human being".

Now all you have to do is prove that the offspring of two human beings is something other than a human being.

I suggest that you go to your public library and ask the reference desk if they have a copy of Black's Legal Dictionary. This is the dictionary used in practically every courtroom in the country, including the Supreme Court to settle disputes among parties over the definitons of legal terms.

Turn to page 1152 (depending on the edition) and look up the word person. You will find that the accepted legal defintion of the word person is "a human being".

Now all you have to do is prove that the offspring of two human beings is something other than a human being.

What? You mean they don't use the URBAN DICTIONARY in court?!?

What? You mean they don't use the URBAN DICTIONARY in court?!?

I guess not. Everywhere you turn, the facts defeat the pro choice argument.

Hell, go and read justice Blackmun's majority decision on roe. You will see that the court said that a woman has the right to abort a "potential human life" Nowhere do they mention unborns at all. They made an assumption that unborns were not human beings and decided the case based on that assumption.

A woman certainly does have the right to terminate a "potential human life" but "potential human life" does not define unborns at any stage of their development.

Imagine you go to court and sue to be allowed to raise chickens on your property, and the court agrees with you and states in no uncertain terms that you have a right to raise chickens on your property. That right to raise chickens does not give you the right to raise ducks. By the same token, a right to terminate a "potential human life" does not give a woman to kill a living human being.

Arguably, the fetus first becomes a being of moral significance when it develops the capacity to feel pain, some time after 20 weeks of gestation.

I completely disagree with this. It is disingenuous to say the least.

You have eminent physicians who are experts in this particular field writing in the British Medical Journal frequently.

Volman & Pearson, for one (or two!) put forward a clinical review in the Journal a while ago. They stated that a foetus is capable of feeling pain on, or around 8 weeks gestation.

One then reads another clinical review in the Journal by a Professor Stuart Derbyshire for example, who states that unborn foetuses don't have the synaptic receptors to feel any pain until the 26 week.

The truth is, we know so little. There is no doubt that it is not known exactly when a foetus can feel pain, it could be 8 weeks gestation, it could be 10, 20 , 26 weeks.

This to my mind brings to the fore extremely important and worrying ethical problems.

What I would like to know is why do most people who call themselves 'pro-life' seem to be so acceptant of killing?

It is very difficult to take their views seriously when they are pro-death penalty and not screaming protests against the wars.

They are often pro-hunting too.

So they are clearly not pro-life and are hiding behind this seemingly noble banner.

So I wonder what they really are about.

They seem hysterical.

I don't buy this stuff about them being outraged by the abortion of a few cells and I don't see them weeping over the body's natural expulsion of them or collecting up remains and holding funerals.

They sound to me like religious lunatics who try to out-pious each other with overt displays of concern and outrage.

But it is disingenuous.

They are very often pro-death.

They are pro-death in those cases because they do not consider people subject to the death penalty and America's declared enemies to be "innocent." An unborn fetus is "innocent," and they thus aim to protect innocent life.

As for hunting animals, most conservatives are religious, and do not consider animals to be made in the image of God, and believe that they do not have eternal souls, which is why traits of personhood are irrelevant to them.

That may be the accepted legal definition, but recall the accepted legal definition of a person in the Dred Scott case. Reality trumps legality.

I love your posts

They are pro-death in those cases because they do not consider people subject to the death penalty and America's declared enemies to be "innocent." An unborn fetus is "innocent," and they thus aim to protect innocent life.

As for hunting animals, most conservatives are religious, and do not consider animals to be made in the image of God, and believe that they do not have eternal souls, which is why traits of personhood are irrelevant to them.

How would you label yourself? I would like to know so that I may use stereotypes and generalizations to paint your positions on topics as completely absurd and hypocritical. :rolleyes:

Werbung:
well since eating the thing killed seems to make some difference to you, it was logical to guess if I ate Fetus then you would be fine with it. They taste like veil :)

Eating a person’ offspring is pretty disgusting. But some how I am not shocked that you would be into it, and I am really not shocked that you can’ figure out the difference between murdering a person and hunting elk for your family to eat.

Back