Parents deliberately infecting their children

PLC1

Staff member
Swapping chicken pox-infected lollipops illegal

Swapping chicken pox infected lollypops? Of course, it's illegal, as well as immoral and just downright stupid. The phrase "child abuse" springs to mind.

So, why do it?

The warning came after media reports surfaced about a multi-state ring of parents, wary of vaccinations that prevent the disease, who were swapping lollipops licked by a sick child in a modern day incarnation of a chicken pox party.

So, these numbskulls are afraid of the vaccine, but not afraid of the disease, and so they're deliberately infecting their children with chicken pox?

Of all of the stupid things I've heard about people doing, that has to be at least in the top ten.

Werbung:
Swapping chicken pox-infected lollipops illegal

Swapping chicken pox infected lollypops? Of course, it's illegal, as well as immoral and just downright stupid. The phrase "child abuse" springs to mind.

So, why do it?

So, these numbskulls are afraid of the vaccine, but not afraid of the disease, and so they're deliberately infecting their children with chicken pox?

Of all of the stupid things I've heard about people doing, that has to be at least in the top ten.

I did that :)

My son was about 1 years old when the boy next door got chicken pox, I asked if my son could play for the day. He got them, got over it quickly and things were good for him, his cousin got it at 20 and almost died and I did not want to take any chances.

there are those who believe that the vaccine has issues but this is a more likely rationale and the one I'm more familiar:

Chickenpox is largely a childhood disease, with more than 90% of cases occurring in children younger than 10 years. The disease is benign in the healthy child, and increased morbidity occurs in adults and immunocompromised patients.

Not as stupid as you would think PLC the whole idea is to expose them when the reaction is a lot milder. This way when they get older and come in contact with the disease their body can recognize and fight off the disease. This is the same idea behind the vaccine, with a vaccine you introduce dead and damaged viruses to the immune system so the body can protect itself from them.

More or less the same idea, but yes the vaccine is much safer.

Not as stupid as you would think PLC the whole idea is to expose them when the reaction is a lot milder. This way when they get older and come in contact with the disease their body can recognize and fight off the disease. This is the same idea behind the vaccine, with a vaccine you introduce dead and damaged viruses to the immune system so the body can protect itself from them.

More or less the same idea, but yes the vaccine is much safer.

it could be safer except that its been found to not have the permanent effect it was intended to have. allowing the immune system to do it's job does not have this limitation.

so, get the kids vaccinated. The idea that the vaccine is worse than the disease is absurd.

Sometimes the vaccine doesnt take and the person gets chicken pox as an adult when it is actually dangerous. But if they actually get the chicken pox as a kid its done for good. Some bumps and a small fever, not even as bad as a cold.

it could be safer except that its been found to not have the permanent effect it was intended to have. allowing the immune system to do it's job does not have this limitation.

Actually, it does.

I had all of the childhood diseases before the vaccines were invented, thankfully with the exception of polio. The doctor nevertheless had me take an MMR vaccine because immunity does not always last throughout one's life.

Why get a disease when a vaccine is available? It makes no sense. The odds of complications from a disease are overwhelmingly greater than the odds of having a problem with the vaccine.

Sometimes the vaccine doesnt take and the person gets chicken pox as an adult when it is actually dangerous. But if they actually get the chicken pox as a kid its done for good. Some bumps and a small fever, not even as bad as a cold.

And an increase risk of developping shingles as an adult.

You misunderstand the science of vaccines completely, you are just flat out wrong.

Getting chicken pox once does not mean you cannot get it again, that is a falsehood. You are not as susceptible to it but you can still get it.

Also the vaccine IS letting the the immune system do its job, that is how all vaccines work. You expose the body to the dead and damaged viruses so it builds an immunity. Exposing your kid to the live virus is dangerous and causes unnecessary suffering to your child.

Do your kid a favour when a doctor or scientist tells you that something will help your child's health just nod and say yes. As you have just proven yourself to be ignorant on this topic.

Im sorry for being so blunt but the health of your child is more important than tact.

The times when a vaccine "does not take" can be as high as 50%.

If I could get a vaccine, it would take, it would not include mercury as a preservative, then it would be the right choice. This is rarely the choice. If I were allergic to eggs then I would have more of an objection to vaccines.

Why get a disease when a vaccine is available? It makes no sense. The odds of complications from a disease are overwhelmingly greater than the odds of having a problem with the vaccine.

I beleve that on average you are right.

Some vaccines are better than others. For some the vaccine is worse than the disease. If one is allergic then an individual decisions needs to be made.

I think this is the primary complaint. The gov is pushing vaccines on a one size fits all agenda and trying to limit individual choice.

getting chicken pox as an adult increases your risk of shingles? or getting the shot does? Or not getting the shot does? I wasn't sure what you meant

Having had chicken pox can lead to having shingles.

Chicken pox, or varicella, is an extremely contagious disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus. It may cause body aches, fever, fatigue, irritability and, what it is most noted for, itchy blisters that can cover the entire body. Considering that shingles, or herpes zoster, is also a form of the varicella-zoster virus, anyone who has contracted chicken pox is also susceptible to shingles.

and the best way to prevent shingles, now that there is a vaccine, is to get vaccinated.

Prevention through vaccination is the best way to avoid chicken pox, shingles and PHN altogether. The National Foundation for Infectious Diseases recommends that children receive two chicken pox vaccinations, one at 12 to 15 months and the second at 4 to 6 years of age. It also recommends that everyone get shingles vaccinations, especially adults over 60 years old. Shingles vaccinations also reduce the chances of a person contracting PHN by 66 percent.

There are no guarantees when it comes to health, but the odds are far better with the vaccine than without.

Werbung:

Agree... either way it could be looked at the wrong way but the parents mean no real harm.

Back