Pelosi Calls Health Care Critics 'Un-American'

XCALIDEM

WHAT A *****! Are we in Cuba where we can't express our freedom of speech? She's the un-american by preventing the american people to speak their minds.... This is bull ****! :mad:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi turned the health care debate up a notch Monday, penning a column along with her top deputy that questioned the patriotism of those disrupting town hall meetings to air their complaints. Pelosi and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer claimed such behavior is "simply un-American."

It's hardly the first time Pelosi, who earlier this year accused the CIA of lying to Congress and repeatedly has called Republicans unpatriotic, has employed some serious name-calling to characterize her opponents' views.

The jab Monday drew swift scorn from Republicans and critics who say the health care demonstrations are as American as apple pie.

"I, like most Americans, would find that kind of characterization of citizens exercising their First Amendment rights to be offensive," Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind., told FOX News. "There's nothing more American than letting your elected representatives know how you feel about important issues facing the nation."

House Republican Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, released a statement calling the charge "outrageous and reprehensible."

Pelosi and Hoyer made the accusation as part of a lengthy column in USA Today stressing the need for action on health care reform. The piece was published as lawmakers return to their districts for summer recess, a period that could imperil the legislation if health care critics cause moderate Democrats to lose their stomachs for sweeping reform.

Critics have confronted lawmakers about the bills, sometimes shouting at them, at a number of town halls in the past week alone.

On Monday, Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill tried a new tack in rebutting the protesters while also minimizing their complaints. She got several hands when she asked audience members at a town hall meeting to raise their hands if they're so scared about the federal government running health care that they "can't think straight."

For Pelosi and Hoyer, they charged that an "ugly campaign" is afoot to misrepresent the legislation, "disrupt" the public meetings and prevent members of Congress from "conducting a civil dialogue" on the topic.

"Let the facts be heard," they wrote. "These disruptions are occurring because opponents are afraid not just of differing views -- but of the facts themselves. Drowning out opposing views is simply un-American. Drowning out the facts is how we failed at this task for decades."

The "un-American" dig was a sign the debate is heating up. In a tight spot, Pelosi is known for employing tough rhetoric and accusations to muscle her way out.

Back in September 2008, Pelosi used similar language to complain about Republicans who weren't showing up to talks on a Wall Street bailout package.

"I thought it was very unpatriotic of them not to show up, not to show up, in some ways, boycott the meetings earlier in the week," she said.

She also reportedly called the GOP budget in 2006 "unpatriotic" because it drove up the national debt.

This past May, she accused the CIA of lying to Congress, as she was facing questions about how much she knew early on about the Bush administration's interrogation policies.

Then last week, with the health care debate growing more heated, she invoked Nazi Germany, accusing protesters of "carrying swastikas and symbols like that" to meetings. A spokesman for Pelosi later said the speaker was referencing a photo taken at a town hall meeting hosted by Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., which showed a protester holding a sign of a swastika crossed out over President Obama's name and a question mark.

Yet the language Pelosi is using for health care critics is nothing like the language she used to describe anti-war protesters criticized by war supporters as unpatriotic.

Pelosi, who led efforts to withdraw from Iraq before troops had finished the job, tolerated anti-war hecklers on several occasions.

"It's always exciting," she said of protesters who interrupted a meeting in January 2006, according to an account in the San Francisco Chronicle. "This is democracy in action. I'm energized by it, frankly."

At an event in June 2007, she told anti-war protesters "just go for it, I respect your enthusiasm," according to another account.

The claims of "un-American" behavior by critics is not something made by President Obama, who on Monday withheld criticism of his health care detractors.

"We are having a vigorous debate in the United States and I think that's a healthy thing," he said, speaking at a North American summit in Mexico.

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said there's not really any "substantive difference" between the anti-war protests of MoveOn and Code Pink then and the health care reform criticism today -- other than the subject being addressed.

Cornyn told FOX News he thinks the latest charge of being "un-American" is a "pretty harsh statement" about Americans who have serious concerns about the health care legislation.

Werbung:
Pelosi is doing a good job of hanging herself with the rope provided. No worries. She's a pimple on the ass of Congress, who just like Obam-ba rose in the ranks for no other reason than she apparently has the "right mouth action" shall we say?

One might ask, why is Congress "exempting" themselves from the rules of this healthcare reform that is good enough for the rest of us?

This has never been about us - it is about them. They don't want our opinion unless it furthers their careers or their power grab. It is about power and control. The group that controls healthcare controls 1/6th of the economy.

When will we smarten up and realize that as long as PAC's and 527 committees (like that of the Legal Industry) fund Congressional campaigns to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars, we really won't have a say. We just get to pick the best promotional campaign.

Both Pelosi and Palin should be ashamed of themselves for fanning the flames of ignorance. Their time would be better spent looking into Tort Reform and Interstate Competition to reduce healthcare costs.

WHAT A *****! Are we in Cuba where we can't express our freedom of speech? She's the un-american by preventing the american people to speak their minds.... This is bull ****! :mad:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi turned the health care debate up a notch Monday, penning a column along with her top deputy that questioned the patriotism of those disrupting town hall meetings to air their complaints. Pelosi and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer claimed such behavior is "simply un-American."

It's hardly the first time Pelosi, who earlier this year accused the CIA of lying to Congress and repeatedly has called Republicans unpatriotic, has employed some serious name-calling to characterize her opponents' views.

The jab Monday drew swift scorn from Republicans and critics who say the health care demonstrations are as American as apple pie.

"I, like most Americans, would find that kind of characterization of citizens exercising their First Amendment rights to be offensive," Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind., told FOX News. "There's nothing more American than letting your elected representatives know how you feel about important issues facing the nation."

House Republican Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, released a statement calling the charge "outrageous and reprehensible."

Pelosi and Hoyer made the accusation as part of a lengthy column in USA Today stressing the need for action on health care reform. The piece was published as lawmakers return to their districts for summer recess, a period that could imperil the legislation if health care critics cause moderate Democrats to lose their stomachs for sweeping reform.

Critics have confronted lawmakers about the bills, sometimes shouting at them, at a number of town halls in the past week alone.

On Monday, Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill tried a new tack in rebutting the protesters while also minimizing their complaints. She got several hands when she asked audience members at a town hall meeting to raise their hands if they're so scared about the federal government running health care that they "can't think straight."

For Pelosi and Hoyer, they charged that an "ugly campaign" is afoot to misrepresent the legislation, "disrupt" the public meetings and prevent members of Congress from "conducting a civil dialogue" on the topic.

"Let the facts be heard," they wrote. "These disruptions are occurring because opponents are afraid not just of differing views -- but of the facts themselves. Drowning out opposing views is simply un-American. Drowning out the facts is how we failed at this task for decades."

The "un-American" dig was a sign the debate is heating up. In a tight spot, Pelosi is known for employing tough rhetoric and accusations to muscle her way out.

Back in September 2008, Pelosi used similar language to complain about Republicans who weren't showing up to talks on a Wall Street bailout package.

"I thought it was very unpatriotic of them not to show up, not to show up, in some ways, boycott the meetings earlier in the week," she said.

She also reportedly called the GOP budget in 2006 "unpatriotic" because it drove up the national debt.

This past May, she accused the CIA of lying to Congress, as she was facing questions about how much she knew early on about the Bush administration's interrogation policies.

Then last week, with the health care debate growing more heated, she invoked Nazi Germany, accusing protesters of "carrying swastikas and symbols like that" to meetings. A spokesman for Pelosi later said the speaker was referencing a photo taken at a town hall meeting hosted by Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., which showed a protester holding a sign of a swastika crossed out over President Obama's name and a question mark.

Yet the language Pelosi is using for health care critics is nothing like the language she used to describe anti-war protesters criticized by war supporters as unpatriotic.

Pelosi, who led efforts to withdraw from Iraq before troops had finished the job, tolerated anti-war hecklers on several occasions.

"It's always exciting," she said of protesters who interrupted a meeting in January 2006, according to an account in the San Francisco Chronicle. "This is democracy in action. I'm energized by it, frankly."

At an event in June 2007, she told anti-war protesters "just go for it, I respect your enthusiasm," according to another account.

The claims of "un-American" behavior by critics is not something made by President Obama, who on Monday withheld criticism of his health care detractors.

"We are having a vigorous debate in the United States and I think that's a healthy thing," he said, speaking at a North American summit in Mexico.

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said there's not really any "substantive difference" between the anti-war protests of MoveOn and Code Pink then and the health care reform criticism today -- other than the subject being addressed.

Cornyn told FOX News he thinks the latest charge of being "un-American" is a "pretty harsh statement" about Americans who have serious concerns about the health care legislation.

If standing up for our Country and standing up to congress and the white house is unAmerican, then I am a proud un-American.

Great to see you posting again XCALIDEM

If standing up for our Country and standing up to congress and the white house is unAmerican, then I am a proud un-American.
"I'm sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We need to stand up and say we're Americans, and we have the right to debate and disagree with any administration."
Hillary Rodham Clinton, May 15, 2007

Clearly that only applies to disagreements with any Republican administrations.:rolleyes:

If you disagree with a Democrat administration, you're a swastika carrying, political terrorist, unruly mobster and a rabid right wing extremist... Oh, and of course, you're simply un-American.

Great to see you posting again XCALIDEM
Ditto, welcome back! ;)

bododie said:

Except no one is saying that standing up to congress is unAmerican. They're saying interruption of an orderly discussion is. I tend to agree. I mean you want "free speech" yet they are disallowing the congressmen / senators the ability to even speak to their constituents by their constant droll and chants of "protest" Orderly is the key word, want to dissent, do so with order and don't stand on someone else's right so you can fulfill your assumed entitlement of "free speech that is greater than the rights of the politicos/proponent constituency"

Except no one is saying that standing up to congress is unAmerican. They're saying interruption of an orderly discussion is. I tend to agree. I mean you want "free speech" yet they are disallowing the congressmen / senators the ability to even speak to their constituents by their constant droll and chants of "protest" Orderly is the key word, want to dissent, do so with order and don't stand on someone else's right so you can fulfill your assumed entitlement of "free speech that is greater than the rights of the politicos/proponent constituency"

INDEED; for all of those 'orderly Americans' that wait for their allotted time/opportunity to be heard and ask their vital question, they too have the constitution and the 'Richards Rule of order' to allow them their time before the panel. But the unruly screeching monkey's of the world {both sides of this mess} aren't willing to allow those other mindful adults their 5 minutes.

So Bravo for those who stand beside the 'screeching monkey's' of the unruly crowd...you'll never hear the 'FACTS' and only learn/reinforce the reason so many shun your ideas! ;)

That can not be what she meant. Anyone with time on their hands could post hours of youtube videos of the left shutting down people over the war, immigration, President George W. Bush. They would not let people cross the street and would not let people talk. She sure cant mean that. And it was these people like me she did say were wearing swastikas and symbols like that.

She has refered to me and people like me as un-American, un-patriotic and I am damn proud when someone like her calls me un-American. It does not make me mad or even upset me, I actually consider it a compliment when someone on the left says that to me. For what they consider a good American or a good patriot is something I would never want to be. I actually would consider it an insult for someone like her to call me a good American or patriotic.

"I'm sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We need to stand up and say we're Americans, and we have the right to debate and disagree with any administration."
Hillary Rodham Clinton, May 15, 2007

Clearly that only applies to disagreements with any Republican administrations.:rolleyes:

If you disagree with a Democrat administration, you're a swastika carrying, political terrorist, unruly mobster and a rabid right wing extremist... Oh, and of course, you're simply un-American.

Ditto, welcome back! ;)

Yeah that is a funny video that does not apply anymore, now its the most un-American thing you can do and the most un-patriotic. Funny :)

The difference is the left were livid when called Un-American
I am very proud when lefties say I am un-American

considering what they call a good American, It would be an insult to be considered part of that IMO

That can not be what she meant. Anyone with time on their hands could post hours of youtube videos of the left shutting down people over the war, immigration, President George W. Bush. They would not let people cross the street and would not let people talk. She sure cant mean that. And it was these people like me she did say were wearing swastikas and symbols like that.

doggett_ss_sign_090801a.jpg

No, I don't think anyone there was displaying any Nazi symbolism. I mean those could just be lightning bolts, I'm sure he's not glorifying the schutzstaffel at a town hall meeting. Maybe he's just saying "I'm here to strike down health reform, like a lightning bolt" Yeah, Pelosi should watch it, she doesn't know what she's saying.

She has refered to me and people like me as un-American, un-patriotic and I am damn proud when someone like her calls me un-American. It does not make me mad or even upset me, I actually consider it a compliment when someone on the left says that to me. For what they consider a good American or a good patriot is something I would never want to be. I actually would consider it an insult for someone like her to call me a good American or patriotic.

I'm sorry you feel you must spin the context to suit your needs, it is still a false charge. When she said that she was in the same bit talking about the people who were shouting down the speakers and being unruly in general. Yes this is an attempt to halt free speech under the guise OF free speech (not really a great American value, is it?).

doggett_ss_sign_090801a.jpg

No, I don't think anyone there was displaying any Nazi symbolism. I mean those could just be lightning bolts, I'm sure he's not glorifying the schutzstaffel at a town hall meeting. Maybe he's just saying "I'm here to strike down health reform, like a lightning bolt" Yeah, Pelosi should watch it, she doesn't know what she's saying.

I'm sorry you feel you must spin the context to suit your needs, it is still a false charge. When she said that she was in the same bit talking about the people who were shouting down the speakers and being unruly in general. Yes this is an attempt to halt free speech under the guise OF free speech (not really a great American value, is it?).

Well I think that depends. You tell me

Tell me if this is American or un-American? The left defended these people for shutting down this event.

If you consider this un-American then I guess that would make you consistant but rare for a left leaning person.

Werbung:
She called the tactics used UnAmerican...not anyone who does not agree. Those who shout down anyone trying to debate so no one can actuly have a discussion of the issues...are trying to say no you dont have hte right to debate and talk, we will stop that...and that is Unamerican to think that people should not have the right to a honest debate about the issue. I think idiots on the left who come in screaming and trying to dirsupt are also the same...and the Right use to cry about them...till it was them doing it.

Back