Pirates; Somalia's ONLY Line-Of-Defense!

Part of the problem is that insurance companies do not want to insure ships that are arming the crews.

Shipping is a pretty cut-throat business......... "piracy" is covered under a marine insurance policy thus why bother going to the additional expense of arming crews when you can re-coup the costs of damage to the vessel, loss of freight, loss of charter hire and even the demurrage charges! Ransom charges and "extra expenses" are covered under the Marine War Risks insurance policy so all in all if I were an owner I'd not bother............. I can get another Filipino crew inside of 10 minutes from a crewing agent in Manila and Croatian or Polish Officers 10 minutes after that...............:D

Werbung:
Or, are they required to be White, as well?????
Now you want the white devil" to save blacks from themselves and their inability to run a country? Make up your mind.

Now you want the white devil" to save blacks from themselves......
Nope!

A little common-courtesy would be much-less-expensive.....you know, like NOT dumpin' your waste into someone-else's backyard....'cause it's more-economically-feasible.​

Shipping is a pretty cut-throat business......... "piracy" is covered under a marine insurance policy thus why bother going to the additional expense of arming crews when you can re-coup the costs of damage to the vessel, loss of freight, loss of charter hire and even the demurrage charges! Ransom charges and "extra expenses" are covered under the Marine War Risks insurance policy so all in all if I were an owner I'd not bother............. I can get another Filipino crew inside of 10 minutes from a crewing agent in Manila and Croatian or Polish Officers 10 minutes after that...............:D

Ah, another interesting tidbit about the whys & wherefore's that have kept this under the covers of national news...300 plus Filipinos held hostage when Filipino workers are a dime-a-dozen and the insurance policy pays the corporations. Well, isn't that just a grand howdy-doo...I was wondering how/why those families were getting paid while their loved ones are 'stuck' in a Somalia Hostage Holding Tank....hmmm. Seems there is little or no incentive to bring those men home.

Thanks for that information!

Cruise ship fends off pirate attack with gunfire
Israeli private security forces exchange fire with bandits and drive them off
View related photos
Roberto Munao / AP

updated 11:43 a.m. CT, Sun., April 26, 2009
ROME - An Italian cruise ship with 1,500 people on board fended off a pirate attack far off the coast of Somalia when its Israeli private security forces exchanged fire with the bandits and drove them away.

The ship's commander told Italian state radio on Sunday that six men in a small white speed boat approached the Msc Melody and opened fire "like crazy" on Saturday night, but retreated after the Israeli security officers aboard the cruise ship returned fire.

"It felt like we were in war," Cmdr. Ciro Pinto said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30419164

Now that's what I'M TALKING ABOUT...don't mess around with the Italians...they know how to protect what they own.

Wondering if this will quiet the ugly pirates for a while or just make them get 'bigger/better armed boats'???

To me it makes no sense NOT to arm these merchant ships.

They are sitting ducks if not armed and as various countries try to free hostages over & over again no doubt resulting in pirate deaths the pirates will start killing hostages sooner & sooner.

It's very simple. Piracy on the high seas is an International crime that can be punishable on the spot with death.

Don't want to die... don't forcefully commandeer ships that don't belong to you.

They are sitting ducks if not armed and as various countries try to free hostages over & over again no doubt resulting in pirate deaths the pirates will start killing hostages sooner & sooner.

It's very simple. Piracy on the high seas is an International crime that can be punishable on the spot with death.

Don't want to die... don't forcefully commandeer ships that don't belong to you.

You seem like such a conservative on this issue. Dont get me wrong I agree with you fully but I never would have guessed you to have this point of view.

Well, don't know what I would do exactly...can't really change shipping lanes, but his cruise ship was farther out than the merchant ships travel and they still were attacked so at least this is one cruise ship that protected their 1,000 paying passengers & 500 crew members.

You might read the rest of the article, it was really interesting. I guess there is a Italian Buccaneer boat that is being held hostage with all 15 crew members aboard.

You gotta know that this country is backing these pirates: over 300 Filipinos, several merchant ships being held, this Italian Buccaneer...OMG... this isn't just your little mom & pop den of thieves doing this...those heavy duty armed pirates with the lastest GPS/Radio communications, are being provided by some government some where!!!

You seem like such a conservative on this issue. Dont get me wrong I agree with you fully but I never would have guessed you to have this point of view.

Perhaps you've been brainwashed by places like FOX News and the many fearmongering Conservative talking heads on talk radio into believing that to be Progressive or Liberal means you can't also believe in enforcing the law and promote the safety of American citizens and people in general.

Maybe brainwashed is too hard a word... you've been tricked!

Rest assured Progressives love their families, love their children and love America in general every bit as much if not more than any Conservative out there... and will take hard action when hard action is needed to keep them safe.

It's not good to ever get too full of yourself as if only you hold the moral high ground. And beware of the whole neo-con dog & pony show in general.

Because that should reminds us all of the old saying...

When the devil comes back he'll be wrapped in an American flag and holding a Bible.

Let's not make false assumtions and just work together to make America a better place for all...;)

Perhaps you've been brainwashed by places like FOX News and the many fearmongering Conservative talking heads on talk radio into believing that to be Progressive or Liberal means you can't also believe in enforcing the law and promote the safety of American citizens and people in general.

Maybe brainwashed is too hard a word... you've been tricked!

Rest assured Progressives love their families, love their children and love America in general every bit as much if not more than any Conservative out there... and will take hard action when hard action is needed to keep them safe.

It's not good to ever get too full of yourself as if only you hold the moral high ground. And beware of the whole neo-con dog & pony show in general.

Because that should reminds us all of the old saying...

When the devil comes back he'll be wrapped in an American flag and holding a Bible.

Let's not make false assumtions and just work together to make America a better place for all...;)

Most of what I know about progressives and liberals I know from people I work with, in my community and the people on these boards. and you still shock me on this topic :)

I seem to remember a drug dealer who tried to run over a police officer and was shot dead. Then there were all these idiot liberals running around saying it was so horrible, so awful, and the police officers need strung up in the town square and on and on and on. I didn't get that from Fox, I got that from the rest of the idiot's media.

It is a tricky scenario to arm merchant ships. In international waters it breaks no law to have armed people aboard, however as ships travel through territorial waters of certain countries they could be stopped and have the armed crew tried and jailed if they wanted to. (depending on their own laws.)

Could it be that you want to selectively follow international law when it is in our interests? Welcome to light. ;)

I'll be darned if I can find it on any news sights...but I heard this on BBC radio network:
A Somalian community is fighting back against the pirates and have captured several by guy point!

I even searched the BBC network web sight to find the printed information and came up with nothing about this! Has anyone else heard/read something about this????

Well, I'm excited about that...but I'm also a little cynical about who would be supplying the weapons that these poor villagers would be receiving...almost makes it look like that government would be supplying both sides of the issue!

I seem to remember a drug dealer who tried to run over a police officer and was shot dead. Then there were all these idiot liberals running around saying it was so horrible, so awful, and the police officers need strung up in the town square and on and on and on.
(Yaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnn.....)

For what it's worth.....post proof of those idiot liberals saying that.

:rolleyes:

Failure, to do so, would only be one-more example of the liar you are.​

Werbung:
I'll be darned if I can find it on any news sights...but I heard this on BBC radio network:
A Somalian community is fighting back against the pirates and have captured several by guy point!

I even searched the BBC network web sight to find the printed information and came up with nothing about this! Has anyone else heard/read something about this????

Well, I'm excited about that...but I'm also a little cynical about who would be supplying the weapons that these poor villagers would be receiving...almost makes it look like that government would be supplying both sides of the issue!

The government makes statements that they want to help fight the pirates, but they really lack any actual ability to do all that much.

As for the weapons, small arms like that (especially in that part of the world) can be acquired with really no effort at all. The government might not be the ones supplying them, but they probably wish they were since it is a big money maker. Either way, you can never shut down the arms trade in the place like that.

Back