Pirates; Somalia's ONLY Line-Of-Defense!

The government makes statements that they want to help fight the pirates, but they really lack any actual ability to do all that much.

As for the weapons, small arms like that (especially in that part of the world) can be acquired with really no effort at all. The government might not be the ones supplying them, but they probably wish they were since it is a big money maker. Either way, you can never shut down the arms trade in the place like that.

Point taken and well phrased...that's why I'm of the mind that their very own government, seeing the ability to make vast amounts of money in just warehousing the weapons and selling them to both sides! Makes the large & in charge official, setting on a lucrative supply & demand business quite a good entrepreneur.

How much better could the 'crowd control' be than to let them eliminate each other while making money off of the weapons that they will use to do it!

Werbung:
Point taken and well phrased...that's why I'm of the mind that their very own government, seeing the ability to make vast amounts of money in just warehousing the weapons and selling them to both sides! Makes the large & in charge official, setting on a lucrative supply & demand business quite a good entrepreneur.

How much better could the 'crowd control' be than to let them eliminate each other while making money off of the weapons that they will use to do it!

Well, you have to also account for the current arms sellers most likely operating in the region that would not be pleased to have the government taking their business. In some cases I would venture to guess these arms dealers are more powerful than the government down there.

That said, I am all for them eliminating each other, but when they use the weapons to hijack ships I think it becomes a problem for us obviously.

But I have no problem selling weapons to countries we may or may not like. If they buy from us at least we get the income and have some influence in shaping their capability. I wrote a memo (which got mostly ignored lol) calling for the US to implement arm sale programs to Venezuela. (obviously the types of weapons and amounts are important) On the surface this is obviously shocking, but on a different level I think it makes a lot of sense.

Back