Pizza

vyo476

http://food.yahoo.com/blog/sliceamerica/579/a-slice-of-heaven-a-history-of-pizza-in-america

This article is fairly light-hearted, although it bears a striking condemnation of certain corporate practices which is interesting - especially given the medium of delivery. I mean, who doesn't like pizza? Who doesn't want to have a better pizza?

Note: I was debating with myself putting this under "humor" but the article is quite historical in nature. It's really just the topic that's humorous.

Werbung:
There are tons albeit more angering and less humorous essays about the effect of monster groceries against the local grocer, Wal-Mart Vs. John's Market, etc. Local shops tend to have a greater variety of things it seems, and those things seem to be the stuff that people in the area actually enjoy without having to wade through tons of crap we don't like. I can go down three aisles at the Star Market down the street from my house, with it's somewhat bad lighting and the smell of meat emanating from the butcher, while he chops the, what appears to be a whole cleaned cow with a meat hook still through its top, into little steaks, and be out in 15 minutes with a larger cart full than I'd ever get at walmart in 2 hours of shopping. I'd hate to see that store go away, I shop there as often as I can.

Werbung:
There are tons albeit more angering and less humorous essays about the effect of monster groceries against the local grocer, Wal-Mart Vs. John's Market, etc. Local shops tend to have a greater variety of things it seems, and those things seem to be the stuff that people in the area actually enjoy without having to wade through tons of crap we don't like. I can go down three aisles at the Star Market down the street from my house, with it's somewhat bad lighting and the smell of meat emanating from the butcher, while he chops the, what appears to be a whole cleaned cow with a meat hook still through its top, into little steaks, and be out in 15 minutes with a larger cart full than I'd ever get at walmart in 2 hours of shopping. I'd hate to see that store go away, I shop there as often as I can.

Of course, if you and your spouse are working full time to make ends meet because of the incredible amount of taxes you are paying to your respective federal, state, and local governments and before you go home, you need some groceries, a pack of printer paper, an oil change for your car, and a new shirt for your daughers recital, and the latest video that your kids have been screaming for, you are left running to walmart, or doing without because one or more of the mom and pop shops in your local are closing up and going home at about the same time you are getting through traffic and even if they aren't, you want to get home and if you are going to shop local, you are going to have to go to several stores.

I appreciate small business, but if they are unable to compete, and provide goods and services that their customers need, when they need them, then they have rightfully lost their place within the local economy.

Back