Poll: Democrat Arlen Specter Beats Toomey In Landslide

Popeye

A new Quinnipiac Poll shows that Arlen Specter's move was a smart one, as he leads conservative Republican Pat Toomey in a general election matchup by a robust 20%..53-33%. On the other hand, if Republicans were to nominate the more moderate Tom Ridge instead..Specter's lead shrinks to 3%.

What does all this mean? Well for one thing it demonstrates that if the GOP, as some have suggested, moves further to the right..they will have very little chance to move beyond the all white regional party that they have become.

Werbung:
A new Quinnipiac Poll shows that Arlen Specter's move was a smart one, as he leads conservative Republican Pat Toomey in a general election matchup by a robust 20%..53-33%. On the other hand, if Republicans were to nominate the more moderate Tom Ridge instead..Specter's lead shrinks to 3%.

What does all this mean? Well for one thing it demonstrates that if the GOP, as some have suggested, moves further to the right..they will have very little chance to move beyond the all white regional party that they have become.

That is your opinion. Further, I'm not exactly sure why you consider Tom Ridge a "moderate". He's against progressive taxes, for tax cuts at all levels, wants less government control, favors limited abortion and no partial birth abortion at all, want stronger military, was head of homeland security, favors prayer in school, supports the death penalty and reduced parole, favors individual rights to bare arms, supports school vouchers and allowing more private schools, supports industry self-auditing, more flexible environmental laws, opposes same-sex anything, and of course is a strongly in favor of the war on terrorism.

So where is the "moderate" part? I assume it's wrapped up in the not completely and totally against abortion. Instead he's for limiting it, and banning certain practices. So he's partially moderate on one single issue. Otherwise he's completely conservative....

In what other way is he supposedly moderate?

So where is the "moderate" part? I assume it's wrapped up in the not completely and totally against abortion. Instead he's for limiting it, and banning certain practices. So he's partially moderate on one single issue. Otherwise he's completely conservative....

In what other way is he supposedly moderate?

In today's stringent Republican party, being pro choice is enough for Ridge to be considered a moderate. I'm sure you remember the uproar that usually ensued from GOP wingnuts whenever Ridge's name was floated as a VP candidate.

Whatever the case, if the Republican party wants the senate seat in Pa back, it's pretty obvious they're not going to get it through nominating an extremist like Toomey.

In today's stringent Republican party, being pro choice is enough for Ridge to be considered a moderate. I'm sure you remember the uproar that usually ensued from GOP wingnuts whenever Ridge's name was floated as a VP candidate.

Whatever the case, if the Republican party wants the senate seat in Pa back, it's pretty obvious they're not going to get it through nominating an extremist like Toomey.

Back? I don't think we had it. But then again, yes, I would like a real conservative in there. I'd be perfectly happy if it was Ridge or Toomey.

I love how the difference between moderate and an extremist, is limited to one issue. Pretty sad for the left.

Explain how a mere 8 years ago when the "Democratic Party was doomed" etc etc, they went Left to regain power. Why is it that Republicans suddenly have to go moderate to get power? No. Going to the Right is the right move, and will not have the impact you are suggesting.

They're so regional they're in exile!:D

The GOP's game is so ugly pianos won't even play with them... They're game is so ugly you could tie a pork chop around their neck at the dog pound and there'd be no takers... I could go on but you see the theme building here.:D

Explain how a mere 8 years ago when the "Democratic Party was doomed" etc etc, they went Left to regain power. Why is it that Republicans suddenly have to go moderate to get power? No. Going to the Right is the right move, and will not have the impact you are suggesting.

Are you suggesting that the democrats won power back by moving to the
left?

At least the appearance of the matter suggests that the democrats won back power by the republican move to the right.

The democrats didn't win, the republicans lost. They scared the living hell out of the center.

Werbung:
Are you suggesting that the democrats won power back by moving to the
left?

In part yes. Look at the leadership of the Democrats. Pelosi, Reid, and now Obama. If this was a baseball game, that would be an all-star liberal line-up.

At least the appearance of the matter suggests that the democrats won back power by the republican move to the right.

The democrats didn't win, the republicans lost. They scared the living hell out of the center.

I disagree with the notion that Republicans moved to the Right before the election. Let us look at the policies followed before the election by the Republicans. Bush enacted massive government bailouts and a huge expansion of government. I would not say that that is a bastion of conservatism.

As for Republicans scaring the hell out of the center, I think that the manner in which they government was in the center. I just disagree with the idea that this scarred away the center.

Back