Polygamy... yay?

I can't understand why any man would want multiple wives. Whenever my wife yells or bitches at me, I can't help but think, "do I really want another one of her?"

Werbung:
Two words to hold a marriage together: "Yes, dear."

That said, the cultures where one man keeps multiple wives are likely also to enforce female subordination among other cultural measures.

Although you both show *Cough* interesting viewpoints on the subject, you have to take into account the fact that you are using an ethnocentric viewpoint. They just live in a different society and culture than we do… that is why they have the desire to do things in such a different way. As you said, women play different roles in these sorts of cultures.

I look at what I wrote and thought "huh what did I just say???"

The first line was a quote from a not-so-happily married man. As one who is extremely unlikely ever to marry (at least to a woman), I really don't feel qualified to comment on traditional married relationships beyond the basic aspects of conventional interaction.

As for the second point, yes, definitely an ethnocentric viewpoint. I acknowledge (and relish) the possibility that gender politics in other cultures may not follow such paternalistic/chauvinistic patterns but if you actually have any specific contemporary examples I would be most interested to see them.

I can't understand why any man would want multiple wives. Whenever my wife yells or bitches at me, I can't help but think, "do I really want another one of her?"
I am sure she feels the same way about you. I am teasing you...a little. I would never want two husbands and I never want to share.

I have no interest in finding or citing any sort of scientific data, simply because I don't feel like using my time in that manner. I was just commenting on the fact that no one speaks up for the differences in culture.

Scientific? Nah, the info I was looking for would have been provided by either an anthropologist or a world historian. Doesn't matter anyway.

Werbung:
Back