Preventative Care Actually More Expensive

What they're saying is that sure if you bring in 46 million new people to the system providing high quality routine and preventive care for all those people it will be as costly or possibly even more costly than just treating some of the uninsured in the emergency room.

The difference being the first scenario has an excellent quality of life and the later is some coming in for emergency room treatment... some not and just spreading disease... some just dieing without adequate treatment.

The real point is that some of the cost would be offset by the money we insured people are paying in premiums to cover those without insurance getting indigent care at emergency rooms... while still not getting proper preventive or long term care.

For every insured person on this board be aware that the first $1000 per year you pay in as your premiums is the average mark up your insurance company has raised your premiums to cover emergency room indigent care for the UNINSURED already.

So where are the savings we will get from this option then? The President said current spending on healthcare will bankrupt the nation. Now a public option, according to the CBO, will cost more money. Where are the savings?

Werbung:
From the OP:

That sounds pretty clear to me. As for physicals and false positives, that can be a problem. Which is better, being alerted to a possible problem that turns out to be a false alarm, or not knowing about a problem before it becomes un fixable?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what OP means?

I was referring to HR 3200 and the references to preventative care within the bill and also the New England Journal of Medicine references.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what OP means?

I was referring to HR 3200 and the references to preventative care within the bill and also the New England Journal of Medicine references.

Oh. I'm not sure what is said in the 1,000 page document about vaccinations. I'm pretty sure that they are covered in one way or another, though.

OP means opening post, the first one. The link given there is what I was quoting.

Oh. I'm not sure what is said in the 1,000 page document about vaccinations. I'm pretty sure that they are covered in one way or another, though.

OP means opening post, the first one. The link given there is what I was quoting.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarity.

Yeah, like so many things today there is a level of inconsistency between documents. HR 3200 doesn't define vaccinations at preventative and most the comparison data doesn't use it when describing preventative medicine. If it did, we might have more points of agreement then disagreement on this subject...:)

I'll tell ya' the kind of preventative care that I'd like to see them enforce... the other day I was waiting my turn to pay for something at a convenience store behind this... woman... who had a pile of pop, pork rinds and other serious junk food. There wasn't one, NOT ONE, item there that had anything approaching nutritional value. I thought to myself at the moment that if you're going to buy that crap, you'd be a heckuva' lot better off buying it (that much especially) at a real grocery store instead of a convenience store just for the price differential alone, especially in those quantities. When the... woman... pulled out a welfare card to pay for it with, I fumed. My tax dollars at work. After she was out of earshot, I asked the guy if she'd just paid for that crap with what amounted to food stamps (hadn't seen the card before) and he said, "Yep. Everyday. All day." His steady gaze told me an awful lot.

Now... THERE is room for some "Change That We Can Believe In"! Just think of the health benefits that could be indirectly enforced...

Werbung:
I'll tell ya' the kind of preventative care that I'd like to see them enforce... the other day I was waiting my turn to pay for something at a convenience store behind this... woman... who had a pile of pop, pork rinds and other serious junk food. There wasn't one, NOT ONE, item there that had anything approaching nutritional value. I thought to myself at the moment that if you're going to buy that crap, you'd be a heckuva' lot better off buying it (that much especially) at a real grocery store instead of a convenience store just for the price differential alone, especially in those quantities. When the... woman... pulled out a welfare card to pay for it with, I fumed. My tax dollars at work. After she was out of earshot, I asked the guy if she'd just paid for that crap with what amounted to food stamps (hadn't seen the card before) and he said, "Yep. Everyday. All day." His steady gaze told me an awful lot.

Now... THERE is room for some "Change That We Can Believe In"! Just think of the health benefits that could be indirectly enforced...

I'll second that. If someone is going to buy junk food at the Quickie Mart, so be it, but let them use their own money if that's their choice.

Back