Prisoners re-enter society

It tells us about the prison systems of other countries if their crime rate is higher than ours, yet they have fewer prisoners, yes. The countries of Western Europe have fewer prisoners, and less crime. I'm not sure just why that is, but it is.

You have brought up a rather chilling point when you mention the moral fiber of the population as a factor. I'm not going to say that you're wrong, but I hope you are.

As for TV, I was brought up on TV and movie westerns, in which the good guys fired twenty rounds from each of two six shooters while on a galloping horse, shooting the guns out of the hands of the bad guys. If the good guy was hit, it was a "flesh wound," but if the bad guy was hit, he died by falling backwards out of view. Totally unrealistic, unlike today's movies. Could the advent of realistically violent TV, movies, and video games be a part of it?

How about our appetite for drugs, both legal and illegal, could that be a factor?

Could it be t hat we're too quick to lock people up for non violent crimes?

Or is it a combination of all of the above?

I vote for combo plus others.

Meanwhile the less crime in Europe must be at least part of the factor for less prisoners. We know that there are abuses and biases in our prison system. Let's fix them. Yet few of the people in the prisons are guilty of nothing. I am not saying it's right to lock up a guy with a rap sheet a yard long for a crime that he did not commit but I am saying that if people want to avoid prison, generally being an upstanding citizen is the best way to do that. Avoid drugs and avoid socializing with gangs - that would go a long way for reducing incarceration of our youth in large cities. The next step is to work to turn around the culture of crime and ingnorance that our inner city youth have fallen prey to. Getting good grades should be cool and rejecting gangsta music should be the norm. Hang out at church after dinner instead of on the playground at eleven pm...

Werbung:
I vote for combo plus others.

Meanwhile the less crime in Europe must be at least part of the factor for less prisoners. We know that there are abuses and biases in our prison system. Let's fix them. Yet few of the people in the prisons are guilty of nothing. I am not saying it's right to lock up a guy with a rap sheet a yard long for a crime that he did not commit but I am saying that if people want to avoid prison, generally being an upstanding citizen is the best way to do that. Avoid drugs and avoid socializing with gangs - that would go a long way for reducing incarceration of our youth in large cities. The next step is to work to turn around the culture of crime and ingnorance that our inner city youth have fallen prey to. Getting good grades should be cool and rejecting gangsta music should be the norm. Hang out at church after dinner instead of on the playground at eleven pm...

All of the above is supported by what we seem to have lost: A stable and loving family.

The root of the problem, most likely, is the decline of the family unit. Children and youth, looking for something, anything to belong to, find acceptance in a gang. Their peers tell them that going to school is not cool, so they drop out. Their posse does drugs, so they do to.

Any Georgians? Their state started out as a British penal colony too.

Would it be possible for them to go back to that status? :D

Yeah Yeah I can just see the Alaska comments now. If you got some make them funny at least!

I actually enjoyed my time in Atlanta.

Werbung:
Back