Protectionism

Dr.Who

Protectionism never works. It does not work when politicians try to protect american products by taxing foreign products. It does not create an efficient economy when taxi cab companies (with the help of their politicians) create barriers to new companies, it does not do any of us any good when barbers lobby for laws restricting salons from offering shaves. I could go on forever, this disease of protectionist regulation has infected all of american politics.

Today Rush was making the point, in other words, that taxes on the rich were really taxes on those who might become rich. That those who are already rich would never pay these taxes but that the taxes were created as a barrier to others. In light of my understanding of how protectionism has become so widespread I think this is right.

And lets not forget that every example of protectionism is a limit on the freedom of those who would exercise their rights in order to become successful. This always holds back some for the benefit of others who have already gotten theirs. And the worst part is that the most outspoken proponents are those who have the least.

Werbung:
Back