Question 8 for Christians

But only if one has the ability and opportunity to learn. Do the bushmen of Australia, or any of the people of the other 3rd world backwaters, have the ablility of learning about quantum mechanics? Hardly, their societies lack the ability to provide the educational opportunities that we have. What of the people in our own society who are unable to attend college for whatever reason? Is it really their "choice"? No, while the facts of physics, or for that matter any discipline, are there for any who have the opportunity to avail themselves of an education in them, they cannot be learned by everyone, for if they were, there would be no reason for everyone not to know everything about everything, so by default, we all take things as a matter of faith.

Sorry, you're still missing the point. Taking religion on faith is a necessity, it is not necessarily true that ANYONE take quantum theory on faith.

Werbung:
Sorry, you're still missing the point. Taking religion on faith is a necessity, it is not necessarily true that ANYONE take quantum theory on faith.

Sorry Lib, but I'm not missing anything. You're looking at it from the standpoint of a "First World" society where getting an education in anything is relatively attainable for everyone. If we're going to look at this honestly, as a universal question, then you have to include those aspects of society that do not share our level of affluence, and therefore are forced to take many of the things that we know as fact, as an article of faith.

Sorry Lib, but I'm not missing anything. You're looking at it from the standpoint of a "First World" society where getting an education in anything is relatively attainable for everyone. If we're going to look at this honestly, as a universal question, then you have to include those aspects of society that do not share our level of affluence, and therefore are forced to take many of the things that we know as fact, as an article of faith.

Repeat: NOBODY is >>necessarily<< prevented from understanding quantum theory. Can you GUARANTEE that any single person in the third world wouldn't by luck, however improbable, get some level of education, and make to the first world and learn more? NO, YOU CAN'T >>>>GUARANTEE<<<< it.

But I can GUARANTEE you nobody will come to his religious convictions by other than faith, and only faith.

Repeat: NOBODY is >>necessarily<< prevented from understanding quantum theory. Can you GUARANTEE that any single person in the third world wouldn't by luck, however improbable, get some level of education, and make to the first world and learn more? NO, YOU CAN'T >>>>GUARANTEE<<<< it.

But I can GUARANTEE you nobody will come to his religious convictions by other than faith, and only faith.

Hi Lib,

Look, I've been as plain as I can be, and it's apparent that you're going to continue to try to find some way to attempt to prove that everybody has the ability to learn quantum mechanics, physics, medicine, or some other advanced science, and it simply isn't so. There are BILLIONS of people around the world that simply do not have the ability to learn these things, so they MUST take them as an article of faith, until such time as every person on the face of the earth is guaranteed the opportunity to attain an advanced degree. Your assertion depends on the exception, but the exception does not make the rule.

Werbung:

Ah Smasher, so often the voice of truth. I haven't been following the latest line of reasoning closely enough to say anything more than each of the last few statements I have seen from you are right. I didn't follow to see if they support whatever conclusion they are meant to support though. Oh well.

Yes of course religion is based on faith.

Something all of us would be wise to learn is that all of our best thoughts are based on faith as well. Science is no less based on faith.

The Christian religious start with an assumption, however well supported it is, that if the bible is true then a bunch of other stuff in it is true too. From there they can debate how all the stuff synergizes to tell us even more about the world. The scientists too start with an assumption that logic and observation are true and from there they can debate how all the stuff syergizes to tell us even more about the world.

But alas within logic there are paradoxes demonstrating that every once in a while it breaks down. Within observation there are limits to what we have seen and how well we have seen it so that very little is actually proven. So, science too takes quiet a bit on faith.

Back