Reason vs. Faith...

How does that support the Catholic faith?

Because the faith was painstakingly built upon the self-evident truths expressed in ontology -- causation, volition, contingency, perfection and design.

In the same way that mathematics was built on the self-evident axioms of arithmetic and set logic.

Werbung:
Because the faith was painstakingly built upon the self-evident truths expressed in ontology -- causation, volition, contingency, perfection and design.

In the same way that mathematics was built on the self-evident axioms of arithmetic and set logic.

Do all the other religions have a similar basis in your view?

The self-evident truth is that GOD EXISTS.
"Self-evident" means that it is impossible to reasonably imagine a reality in which a proposition is not true. It is perfectly possible to describe a reality that is not predicated on the existence of an intelligent "higher power." The rational scientific worldview is such a view of reality. It does not exclude the possibility of "God," but neither does it necessitate his existence.
What you wish to do with this self-evident truth -- pray, kneel, ignore, ridicule other people or what not -- is entirely your own choosing. More often than not, what you choose to do usually depends on your OWN UNIQUE EXPERIENCES.
So do you believe that reality is contingent on subjective experience? Is there no truth but that which your mind creates? I thought most religious folk rejected epistemological relativism, since they have the "ultimate truth."
What I am saying is that I manifest my faith in a manner that I choose. For example, I choose to manifest my faith by trying to understand the fundamental principles in physics and mathematics to the best of my abilities. And when some comprehension dawns on me, I am usually in awe, something that I can only describe as numinous.
The numinous is not the same as the supernatural or the religious. Atheists and nonreligious people are perfectly capable of having such experiences.

Assuming that all of these metaphysical suppositions are indeed axioms, how do they lead logically to any particular Catholic doctrine--such as the Trinity or Original Sin?

As all other religions can also point out. Why is yours the truth?

"Self-evident" means that it is impossible to reasonably imagine a reality in which a proposition is not true. It is perfectly possible to describe a reality that is not predicated on the existence of an intelligent "higher power." The rational scientific worldview is such a view of reality. It does not exclude the possibility of "God," but neither does it necessitate his existence.

Of course it does.

The concept of the natural rights of man derives from such a proposition. And in this concept is the entire 'american way of life' predicated. Now, can you think of any other reason why anyone should have natural rights if they were not functions of creation itself?

As for the 'rational scientific worldview', I have already discussed the nature of a space-time singularity, the basis of all modern physical cosmological model today.

There is simply nothing 'rational' in a state where the fundamental measures of physics are either zero or infinity.

So do you believe that reality is contingent on subjective experience? Is there no truth but that which your mind creates?

Of course not. There is nothing subjective about logic or mathematics, regardless of your personal experiences, is there?

I thought most religious folk rejected epistemological relativism, since they have the "ultimate truth."

If you notice, what we hold as infallibly and immutably true are those that are not filtered by our sensory faculty. Logic and mathematics for instance.

In that sense do I reject epistemological relativism.

The numinous is not the same as the supernatural or the religious. Atheists and nonreligious people are perfectly capable of having such experiences.

Of course. I never said otherwise.

Assuming that all of these metaphysical suppositions are indeed axioms, how do they lead logically to any particular Catholic doctrine--such as the Trinity

I do not see any contradiction between the trinity and the idea of a god that is both transcendent and immanent. Do you?

or Original Sin?

Nor do I have a problem in thinking that human knowledge bereft of ethics is an occassion for sin. Do you?

Most catholic doctrines stem from the 'teaching authority' of the church. In no way was it meant to replace an individual's conscience. Now, if ever a doctrine contradicts the dictates of your conscience, then one has no other recourse but TO FOLLOW HIS CONSCIENCE. In fact, catholicism teaches it.

As all other religions can also point out. Why is yours the truth?

Not all religions.

As I said, I choose to remain catholic because, doctrine-wise, it gives the most correct meaning to self-revelation. It is not a claim to absolute truth. My view of other religions is based on what brings unity of interpretation, not a divisive force of who is or isn't correct. In my opinion, there is an abundance of common ground to accomodate almost all religions.

The concept of the natural rights of man derives from such a proposition. And in this concept is the entire 'american way of life' predicated. Now, can you think of any other reason why anyone should have natural rights if they were not functions of creation itself?
No one does have natural rights. They have social rights. Did early homo sapiens talk about habeus corpus, freedom of speech, etc.? No. These are concepts that have been created by the evolution of society. Nor are social rights uniformly self-evident to all different cultures. In many Asian societies, for example, group rights and filial responsibility traditionally take precedence over individual rights.

Of course not. There is nothing subjective about logic or mathematics, regardless of your personal experiences, is there?
If an objective reality does exist, then is it not impossible for all religions to be equally true and valid?

If you notice, what we hold as infallibly and immutably true are those that are not filtered by our sensory faculty. Logic and mathematics for instance.

In that sense do I reject epistemological relativism.
We agree, then, that logic and mathematics are the surest sources of knowledge. I would suggest that direct sensory observation is less sure, but generally dependable. How would you rank "faith" as a way of knowing?

I do not see any contradiction between the trinity and the idea of a god that is both transcendent and immanent. Do you?

Nor do I have a problem in thinking that human knowledge bereft of ethics is an occassion for sin. Do you?
I don't think it's possible to logically disprove any religious doctrine. But it seemed like you were claiming that one could logically prove them, which is also impossible.

Most catholic doctrines stem from the 'teaching authority' of the church. In no way was it meant to replace an individual's conscience. Now, if ever a doctrine contradicts the dictates of your conscience, then one has no other recourse but TO FOLLOW HIS CONSCIENCE. In fact, catholicism teaches it.
If conscience trumps the authority of the church, then is the church necessary at all? Could we not rely solely on our consciences?

Essentially, any claim to knowledge must be able to answer the question: "How do you know?" In logic and mathematics, the answer is deduction. In science, the answer is observation and experimentation. What is religion's answer? I won't attempt to debate your claim that the existence of "God" is self-evident. But how do you proceed from that "axiom" to knowledge of God's characteristics, intentions, and moral dicta?

I'd also like to point out that you probably differ from most religious people in affording equal validity to other religions. Neither would the Catholic church agree with you. I have to give you props for being so open-minded. But why should all religions be more valid than not having one at all?

Not all religions.

As I said, I choose to remain catholic because, doctrine-wise, it gives the most correct meaning to self-revelation. It is not a claim to absolute truth. My view of other religions is based on what brings unity of interpretation, not a divisive force of who is or isn't correct. In my opinion, there is an abundance of common ground to accomodate almost all religions.

But, after using the cosmological argument to so logically prove the existence of a creator, you illogically follow a religion with no proof. Bizzare :confused:

But, after using the cosmological argument to so logically prove the existence of a creator, you illogically follow a religion with no proof. Bizzare :confused:

I, too, think that it's wishful thinking to say that Catholic dogma is based on self-evident truths when so many other religions disagree--they can't all be based on self-evident truths like mathematics or they would come up with the same answers.

No one does have natural rights. They have social rights. Did early homo sapiens talk about habeus corpus, freedom of speech, etc.? No. These are concepts that have been created by the evolution of society. Nor are social rights uniformly self-evident to all different cultures. In many Asian societies, for example, group rights and filial responsibility traditionally take precedence over individual rights.

Of course not. Natural rights or inalienable rights are functions of the human person and are INDEPENDENT OF POSITIVE LAW. And precisely because of its nature can we declare UNIVERSAL HUMAN RIGHTS.

If an objective reality does exist, then is it not impossible for all religions to be equally true and valid?

Of course not. An objective reality may be percieved by an infinitely many ways as there are infinitely many points of view. And your subjective perception of it does not change its objective nature.

We agree, then, that logic and mathematics are the surest sources of knowledge.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, yes.

I would suggest that direct sensory observation is less sure, but generally dependable. How would you rank "faith" as a way of knowing?

No. Sensory observation is dependable only when conducted under rigorous conditions. And even then, they hold only within its specific domain of inquiry.

I don't think it's possible to logically disprove any religious doctrine. But it seemed like you were claiming that one could logically prove them, which is also impossible.

Of course not. It is entirely possible to disprove the converse of a proposition. The relationship of the truth value of a proposition and its converse can be known throught the operation of logic.

If conscience trumps the authority of the church, then is the church necessary at all? Could we not rely solely on our consciences?

It is entirely possible for a conscience to be defective in the same way that an entirely logical conclusion may come from an entirely counter-intuitive premise.

The teaching authority of the church is there to supplement one's conscience. The church claims authority in ethical matters, not in matters of the natural sciences. And even if the church wished to speak definitively on any matter of ethics, it is simply impossible since ethical questions arise from unique circumstances.

That is why the teachings of the church, embodied in encyclicals, proceed like a philosophical dissertation. It is there for anyone who wish to make a personal judgement as objective as is humanly possible.

Essentially, any claim to knowledge must be able to answer the question: "How do you know?" In logic and mathematics, the answer is deduction. In science, the answer is observation and experimentation. What is religion's answer? I won't attempt to debate your claim that the existence of "God" is self-evident. But how do you proceed from that "axiom" to knowledge of God's characteristics, intentions, and moral dicta?

Posteriori reasoning -- that the nature of the cause may be gleaned from the nature of its effect.

This isn't aomething new since science makes use of it abudantly.

For example -- we know that the universe is expanding. We know of no other scientific quantity capable of doing this. We therefore hypothesize the existence of the cosmological constant or dark energy. We infer its nature from what we can observe from its effect -- that it is the most abundant part of the cosmological fluid, it has a negative equation of state, that it is incapable of transfering energy through radiation, it interacts with matter and energy ONLY through gravity or the geometry of space-time, it is collisionless, etc. etc.

I
'd also like to point out that you probably differ from most religious people in affording equal validity to other religions. Neither would the Catholic church agree with you.

No. The recent pope, jp2 said as much in his book, crossing the threshold of hope. He said that the biggest stumbling block to unity among people of faith is the view that concentrates on DIFFERENCES RATHER THAN COMMON GROUNDS. And the fact is, there are more common grounds than there are differences to begin with. He then outlines the relationship of the catholic church with other christian denominations and the rest of the major religions of the world.

I have to give you props for being so open-minded. But why should all religions be more valid than not having one at all?

You are asking if it is more valid to join a church than not join a church? I never said anything of this sort. Your religion is your right of thought. If that right runs counter to all of organized religion in existence today, then why should you join.

My harshest criticisms are reserved to the atheist, who contradicts something that is so self-evident and against all facts and logic.

Is there any church teaching that you think does not logically derive from ontology?

I, too, think that it's wishful thinking to say that Catholic dogma is based on self-evident truths when so many other religions disagree--they can't all be based on self-evident truths like mathematics or they would come up with the same answers.

What is wishful thinking is your belief that the post above represents a valid argument in the first place.

Werbung:
No. The recent pope, jp2 said as much in his book, crossing the threshold of hope. He said that the biggest stumbling block to unity among people of faith is the view that concentrates on DIFFERENCES RATHER THAN COMMON GROUNDS. And the fact is, there are more common grounds than there are differences to begin with. He then outlines the relationship of the catholic church with other christian denominations and the rest of the major religions of the world.
Then am I incorrect in thinking that Catholic dogma states that all non-Christians will go to Hell?
My harshest criticisms are reserved to the atheist, who contradicts something that is so self-evident and against all facts and logic.
Strictly speaking, most people who call themselves atheists (of which I am one) are technically agnostic. We recognize the limits of our knowledge, but we refuse to speculate on what lies beyond those limits. Thus, if you could indeed prove that the nature of the universe requires a supra-material origin, then I would accept the possibility of the supra-material. But such a antiseptically logical approach to metaphysics seems a far cry from the superstitions and dogmas that fill most religions.

I would also be interested in seeing the chain of reasoning the leads from observations about the nature of the universe to claims about the nature of "God." It is one thing to hypothesize about the origins of the universe, and quite another thing to (for example) claim that an intelligent being answers our prayers.

Mare Tranquility's comment about child molestation was uncalled for, but I do think you need to explain the connection (if there is one) between your "axioms" and the Catholic religion. I can see a metaphoric basis for things like original sin and baptism, but the church takes them very literally. Do you think there is a rational basis for practices like exorcism and celibacy?

Back