Redoubt erupts...Jindal looks like a fool

Popeye

Remember how, during his speech last month, Bobby Jindal, in addition to telling lies about what he did during Katrina, also mocked the Obama administration for "wasteful spending" in the stimulus bill, including "$140 million for something called "volcano monitoring'"?

Despite what the GOP may tell you, volcano monitoring is important work...case in point.. Alaska's Mount Redoubt erupted last night and thanks to the volcano monitoring that Jindal and his stupid GOP buddies think we don't need, the USGS has known for months that it was on the point of blowing.

Sometimes I really wonder about Republicans...were they born this way or did they become fools over time?

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-na-alaska-volcano24-2009mar24,0,5657933.story

Werbung:
Remember how, during his speech last month, Bobby Jindal, in addition to telling lies about what he did during Katrina, also mocked the Obama administration for "wasteful spending" in the stimulus bill, including "$140 million for something called "volcano monitoring'"?

Despite what the GOP may tell you, volcano monitoring is important work...case in point.. Alaska's Mount Redoubt erupted last night and thanks to the volcano monitoring that Jindal and his stupid GOP buddies think we don't need, the USGS has known for months that it was on the point of blowing.

Sometimes I really wonder about Republicans...were they born this way or did they become fools over time?

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-na-alaska-volcano24-2009mar24,0,5657933.story

Everyone knows volcano monitoring is important

you dont like Bobby Jindal so you try to find ways to bash him, were tables turned you would say to me what I am about to say to you.

He said it had no place in the stim bill, it was not going to stimulate jobs and create new jobs, it would at best fund existing jobs that may already have funding.

besides everyone knows that volcano in Alaska only blew up because it was mad at Palin :)

I guess Jindal would have been looked at with more favor if he had of commandeered a rescue vessel to service his needs of getting $90,000 out of his freezer. This little thread is what I like to call grasping at straws. We cant find anything else to bash the guy over so lets create something. Not to mention that Jindal has a more impressive voting history as a Congressmen, than Obama had as Senator. Voted more than just "present".

No doubt volcano monitoring is important. If (and that's a big if) an eruption can be predicted, then people can get out of the way. That's a no brainer. What I don't get is just where in the Constitution does the federal government have the responsibility for monitoring volcanoes?

Everyone knows volcano monitoring is important

you dont like Bobby Jindal so you try to find ways to bash him, were tables turned you would say to me what I am about to say to you.
Jindal certainly made a misstep by taking issue with this miniscule part of the stimulus package. There were certainly more wasteful issues, but his speechwriters decided to make it a punchline, that has ultimately backfired on him.

He said it had no place in the stim bill, it was not going to stimulate jobs and create new jobs, it would at best fund existing jobs that may already have funding.
No, it would go into placing more monitoring stations, increasing capacity to more closely watch other volcanos, and giving fair warning to those who might be effected by the fallout from such occurances. It would increase the money in private industries by those who are contracted to place those instruments, and transport those individuals. With the high price of fuels, the small air taxis that are very critical to Alaska could certainly use the bump.

No doubt volcano monitoring is important. If (and that's a big if) an eruption can be predicted, then people can get out of the way. That's a no brainer. What I don't get is just where in the Constitution does the federal government have the responsibility for monitoring volcanoes?

In all fairness, I made a thread about this over a month ago. That this volcano was going to erupt and that I might have to disappear for a few days until the whole thing settled.
https://www.houseofpolitics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6659
So in terms of predicting an eruption the constant monitoring has made the situation much more predictable. It allowed me to gather enough resources to sustain myself should a major ash fall occur here.

When the news came of the eruption late last night, most Alaskans that were in the potential fall out zones knew the eruption occurred. Not only that, they knew where the ash cloud was drifting and could alert those that might be effected. Fortunatly for me, the ash went in the other direction, and it is unfortunate for those effected.
This does not mean I am by any means out of the woods, the wind has shifted and I could be effected and I am glad to know the warnings will come in time for those on the ground to prepare enough to secure thier electronics and vehicles and ensure the safety of humans and pets.

As for Congressional oversight, it certainly falls under the guise of regulating interstate and foreign commerce. Considering Anchorage is a major hub for international air cargo, it would be wise the feds to monitor these events as they can cause not only a major interuption of the flow of goods, but could potentially cause a major loss of life when it come to air travel. Thankfully, with the current monitoring and tracking programs that have evolved since the incident, hopefully a similar scenario that happened with KLM 867 can be avoided.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KLM_Flight_867

A few things. Firstly, this volcano is not done erupting. It will continue and it is likely it could once again cover the major urban area in the state, Anchorage.

This coming from a professional in the subject.
Derided by some, Alaska volcano monitors spot on

By DAN JOLING / Associated Press Writer

Published: March 24th, 2009 12:02 AM
Last Modified: March 24th, 2009 12:02 AM

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A month after Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal complained about wasteful spending in President Barack Obama's economic stimulus package - including money he sneered was for "something called 'volcano monitoring'" - Alaska pilots were grateful for such expenditures.

The Alaska Volcano Observatory was ready with warnings to flight officials when Alaska's Mount Redoubt blew, sending potentially deadly ash clouds north of Anchorage.

Readings from seismometers and atmospheric pressure sensors alerted scientists that an eruption had occurred. Weather radar confirmed the presence of an ash cloud that ascended more than 11 miles above sea level.

"Without instruments in the ground, we would not have been able to tell you this was coming," said John Power, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey at the Alaska Volcano Observatory.

Volcano monitoring became a political issue when Jindal gave the Republican response to President Obama's message to Congress on the economic stimulus package. Jindal said the package was "larded with wasteful spending," including $140 million for volcano monitoring.

U.S. Sen. Mark Begich, D-Anchorage wrote Jindal and said volcano monitoring is a matter of life and death in his state. He made the point again after the latest eruption.

"I sleep better knowing the scientists are at work at the AVO keeping track of this activity," he said by e-mail.

The Alaska Volcano Observatory is a joint program between the USGS, the University of Alaska and the state Division of Geological and Geophysical Surveys. The observatory was formed in response to the 1986 eruption of Mount Augustine.

The observatory has a variety of tools to predict eruptions. As magma moves beneath a volcano before an eruption, it generates earthquakes, swells the surface of a mountain and sends out gases. The observatory samples gases, measures earthquake activity and watches for landscape deformities.

"Generally the earthquakes that are occurring at these volcanoes are too small to be felt unless you're standing right on the volcano," Power said.

Mount Redoubt, about 100 miles southwest of Alaska's largest city, first blew at night Sunday, and even after sunrise, was socked in by clouds, obscuring ash that that can clog a jet engine and knock aircraft from the sky.

Alaska Airlines on Monday canceled 19 flights because of the ash clouds. In-state carrier Era Aviation canceled four, and Elmendorf Air Force Base in Anchorage kept 60 planes, including fighter jets, cargo aircraft and a 747 commercial plane, in shelters.

In a 1989 eruption, Redoubt sent ash high into the atmosphere and a KLM jet 150 miles away flew into the cloud. It's four engines quit and the jet with 231 passengers on board dropped more than 2 miles before the crew was able to restart all engines and land safely in Anchorage.

Volcanic ash has been used as an industrial abrasive and can injure skin, eyes and breathing passages. The far greater danger in Alaska, Power said, is to aircraft.

"Aircraft and ash really don't mix," he said. "It's the principal hazard that you see in Alaska. You can imagine flying an airplane into a sand blaster. That's what happens an airplane encounters an ash cloud."

The observatory works closely with the National Weather Service and the Federal Aviation Administration to alert pilots and airlines to the danger of ash.

Scientists with the volcano observatory last fall noted an increase in seismic activity at Redoubt and in January warned that an eruption was imminent. The warning level has been lowered and raised since then as the mountain cooled and heated up.

The explosions Sunday and Monday damaged three seismometers, including the one closest to the summit. They could have been hit by flying rock or their electronic circuitry could have been damaged by lighting that often accompanies an ash plume. Seven others seismometers continue to take readings on the mountain.

If Redoubt follows historic trends, there will be more eruptions in the next 48 hours, or in weeks to come.

During the 1989-1990 eruptions, ash clouds were generated on and off for about a week. Redoubt then alternated between growing a lava dome and sending up ash clouds for about five months, Power said.

"I would be surprised if we don't see more," Power said.

That should be something taken care of by the state where the volcano is. Not federal taxpayer dollars.

That should be something taken care of by the state where the volcano is. Not federal taxpayer dollars.

I disagree, as I said before volcanic eruptions can have a devastating impact on interstate and international economic trade routes from ash fall.

Also, there is a real danger that the seismic activity associated with eruptions can trigger tsumanis which as you know can cause massive damage and death from very long distances.

Volcano and tsunami warnings need to be a very coordinated effort as to minimize the potential impact.

national security? you know, saving lives of Americans so they are not killed by one? Also the US saved Billions in US Military hardware before, with a small investment ( far less then the savings) when a volcano was shown to be ready to go up soon, so they moved stuff from a nearby us air force base out...just in time. had it gone up with them there, they would have all been wrecked.

national security? you know, saving lives of Americans so they are not killed by one? Also the US saved Billions in US Military hardware before, with a small investment ( far less then the savings) when a volcano was shown to be ready to go up soon, so they moved stuff from a nearby us air force base out...just in time. had it gone up with them there, they would have all been wrecked.

Another good point. At nearby Elmendorf AFB, it gave the Air Force enough warning to get all of its F-15s into hangars, and the other heavier aircraft temporarily based elsewhere.

Most importantly considering the situation at Elmendorf, it is home to 20 of the latest and most expensive fighters in the world, the F-22(amazing machines). Those planes were sent to the lower 48 in anticipation of this event.

Not to mention the impact ash has on the untold amount of money worth of Government owned military/nonmilitary vehicles and electronics that would be damaged or destroyed if the necessary precautions are not taken.

Also, I heard on local radio today, that the predicted area of ashfall was basically spot on, and the locals effected had time to secure what was necessary before the event happened.

Werbung:
Another good point. At nearby Elmendorf AFB, it gave the Air Force enough warning to get all of its F-15s into hangars, and the other heavier aircraft temporarily based elsewhere.

Most importantly considering the situation at Elmendorf, it is home to 20 of the latest and most expensive fighters in the world, the F-22(amazing machines). Those planes were sent to the lower 48 in anticipation of this event.

Not to mention the impact ash has on the untold amount of money worth of Government owned military/nonmilitary vehicles and electronics that would be damaged or destroyed if the necessary precautions are not taken.

Also, I heard on local radio today, that the predicted area of ashfall was basically spot on, and the locals effected had time to secure what was necessary before the event happened.

Also we have oil that passes threw that area, that could be effected in its flow due to earthquakes, Ash, and fire from the volcano . A Chevron fuel facility is near the base of it, and has of course been shut down, and fuel removed from many of its tanks. I would doubt anyone can doubt energy supply and flow is a national issue worth spending on.

Just more reasons why more lawmakers, ( more on the right) should try actually knowing what they are talking about when they cry about Pork spending...so they don't end up attacking national security , safety issues, that also save money.

Back